3 Foci Hit the 1320 At Lebanon Valley! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
firemanfrank
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5254
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 firemanfrank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by kenpokid
Also, if you pull the spare out of the back, it really doesn't help make your car faster. The only thing it really does is lighten the rear end up a bit raising it so now the nose of the car has a little more weight transfer, hence ever so slightly better traction,
You mean "not as much weight transfer", right? Because in a FWD car, transferring weight to the rear wheels is a bad thing.

Quote:
... but not enough to tell beacause the spare only weighs about 20lbs.
Probably, but racing is all about weight vs. hp vs. traction. And as a rule of thumb, every 100 lbs. taken off the car should be an E.T. reduction of .10 (1/10). So if the spare weighs 20 lbs., we should be looking to cut .02 off our E.T.

I kept my spare in because I wanted to mimic the type of conditions that auto mags use when they test their cars, and then compare my times to that.

Quote:
I run pretty consistent times back to back at the track and there wasn't a difference.
True, but if someone is doing a lot of "little" things (i.e., tire pressure change, timing, seat removal, etc.) then every little bit will help if they're looking to get their fastest time.

Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Auto0utcast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10652
What I Drive: 2003 gutted zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Auto0utcast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you sir, are correct.
MODS: svt header kit, RT 2.5" cat, FS flex, 2.5" trubendz Borla, FR wires, SCT chip, AEM short ram, spec stg 3, vf dogbone, h&r springs, brembo x-drilled and slotted rotors, hawk hp+ pads, oh and shes on a diet...
117hp 134tq - dynapack dyno www.synapsemotorsport.com
15.567 @ 86.51 Lebanon Valley Dragway
Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #13
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9775
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 kenpokid Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by firemanfrank
You mean "not as much weight transfer", right? Because in a FWD car, transferring weight to the rear wheels is a bad thing.

Probably, but racing is all about weight vs. hp vs. traction. And as a rule of thumb, every 100 lbs. taken off the car should be an E.T. reduction of .10 (1/10). So if the spare weighs 20 lbs., we should be looking to cut .02 off our E.T.

I kept my spare in because I wanted to mimic the type of conditions that auto mags use when they test their cars, and then compare my times to that.

True, but if someone is doing a lot of "little" things (i.e., tire pressure change, timing, seat removal, etc.) then every little bit will help if they're looking to get their fastest time.

Right?
Well, in a front wheel drive car you want to keep the weight up front, so that is basically what I meant, so yes basically less weight transfer to the rear.

And .02 off your ET is not going to be noticable unless you are really really really consistent. And yes, every little bit will help, but if you wanna pull your spare out because of weight then you need to pull a lot more out to really see a difference. If you are pulling it out to help reduce weight transfer to the rear, then you will need to some more rear suspension stuff like stiffer shocks etc. to really make it effective for better traction.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
Auto0utcast
Focus Enthusiast

heh.. aint nuthin left in the hatch of my car. trust me the weight transfer was the least of my worries last night. traction out of the hole was pathetic... EVERYONE was getting horrendous wheel hop... there was a built smallblock s10 pickup there that when he launched he got wheelhop so bad it sheared off the left rear axle at the ring gear and sent it flying, axle and all, across the track. my main issue was when i got nasty wheelhop on my first run the bracket that holds the coolant lines above the radiator snapped the clips that hold it in place... im going to have to jerry rig something for the time being to keep it from dropping totally onto the header. i was pleased with my times for running only an 87 octane tune from mcnews. (rest of mods listed below)

mcnews svt header kit
random tech highflow cat (2.5")
fs zetec flex
trubendz 2.5" borla catback
AEM SRI
FR wires
VF dogbone
sct chip with 87 octane tune (93 tunes not fuctioning properly)
brembo rotors, hawk hp pads
spec stg 3 clutch
205/55/15 bfg g-force sport tires set to 30 psi (front)
195/60/15 kumho ecsta asx tires set to 44 psi (rear)
h&r race springs
interior gutted (rear seats, spare, jack, hatch floor cover, decklid cover)
MODS: svt header kit, RT 2.5" cat, FS flex, 2.5" trubendz Borla, FR wires, SCT chip, AEM short ram, spec stg 3, vf dogbone, h&r springs, brembo x-drilled and slotted rotors, hawk hp+ pads, oh and shes on a diet...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #15
firemanfrank
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Auto0utcast
heh.. aint nuthin left in the hatch of my car ... interior gutted (rear seats, spare, jack, hatch floor cover, decklid cover)
At the track last night, AutoOutcast told me he that is looking into a way to make the car remote controlled.

This way, he could remove the weight of the driver as well!

he he
Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #16
focuszxt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 29289
What I Drive: 02 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 focuszxt Good Standing Member
i only had one good run. my first run i screwed up after the 1000' (ran a 15.1@75mph). the second i ran a 15.3(missed 3rd....twice). third and final run i was sure with my gears, very slow shifts to make sure i hit them. im sure i can do better than a 14.5, but by only .1 or .2. i figure if i can get out of the hole well, shift at the right RPM's and power-shift i would be 14.3/14.4. not bad for a car that is high 16's stock.

DAN

P.S. There was also a 5 door SVT there that ran a mighty 17.02
Old 05-25-2006, 04:13 PM   #17
magic2119
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17493
What I Drive: 2005 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 magic2119 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
svt and 17.02 dont belong in the same sentence. lol

well guys i have a 2.0 l duratec and ran a 15.79. i was running the botton half of a mmcai, so it was about the same as your "stealth" intake. you should run 15.6's easy
Team Duratec #15

You Are NOT Prepared!!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #18
Auto0utcast
Focus Enthusiast

i just wanted to be a jerk and bump our lil thread back to the top...but in all seriousness...firemanfrank and focuszxt were cool to chill with at the track... i wouldnt mind going again sometime after i get my 93 tune and a few other goodies sorted out for the car. its maintenance time and shes in need of some new fluids all around..bumpsticks might be in the equation come late july/august as well. suspension is a necessity as the front wheels hop like the easter bunny commin out of the hole so... we will see the 1320 again before they wrap up shop on LVD this season.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #19
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally posted by firemanfrank

And another VERY important facor is that I only had a total of 3 runs with my car. And I was improving with every successive run that I made. It is logical to think that an automotive journal would have made literally DOZENS of launches to find the perfect technique.
They never perfected the SVTF's launch....
Old 06-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #20
firemanfrank
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedOften
They never perfected the SVTF's launch....
Really? Wow!

So what you're saying then, is that you were there when those journalists were testing the SVTF's.

Cool!

So please S/O, tell us more about how they launched their cars.

What?

You can't?

Oh.

Never mind ......

Bookmarks & Social Networks