Ebay Knockoffs..Who has em? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #21
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I learned a long time ago to watch out and research every item may seem to good to be true. Esp when it comes to performance parts. Sorry but I'll stick with name brand performance parts for my car, in the end it always turns out for the better.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #22
frogg5872
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2578
What I Drive: one slow focus...for now

FF Reputation: 1 frogg5872 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you just have to research what you buy.....heck i got a brand new FC Race header for $150 bucks. Thats dirt cheap. i mean i saved over $200 on it. but i will not put a $35 intake on my car or a $50 set of coilovers.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #23
frogg5872
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2578
What I Drive: one slow focus...for now

FF Reputation: 1 frogg5872 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i also like how the cheap parts on ebay give you 10-15 more hp then the brand name stuff....hehe
Old 03-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #24
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing MemberChick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Quote:
Originally posted by focuszx3r
I had an AEM short ram and IMHO they make some crap products
I have this "crappy AEM product" that you speak of and I like it a lot.

I haven't and never will buy any "performance" products off eBay. I've bought a few dressup items (ie. shorty antenna, shifter bezel) that's about it.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:24 PM   #25
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
You can buy used brand name products with no problem, its when you start buying imitation products you can run into problems.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:04 PM   #26
focuszx3r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1060
FF Reputation: 1 focuszx3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the short throw kit worked great

those bomz intakes look like crap tho. anything that is supposed to be keeping harmful particles out of my engine better be of good quality
Old 03-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #27
focuszx3r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1060
FF Reputation: 1 focuszx3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by ZX3_Chick
I have this "crappy AEM product" that you speak of and I like it a lot.

I haven't and never will buy any "performance" products off eBay. I've bought a few dressup items (ie. shorty antenna, shifter bezel) that's about it.
I was unimpressed with the kit. I dont think it fit properly. Also, the AEM sticker was applied upside down, none of the clamps were of the right size, and the air filter itself wasnt of the right diamter to fit.

myabe I got a dud kit, but anyway, I didnt feel it was securly mounted without making my own mount
Old 03-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #28
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I can't tell you how many times I bid on those Ractive shorty intakes.
Or CAI wannbes.
Glad I never won.

If you're going to buy knock-off brands, do your research.
Email people who have the same product and ask questions.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #29
Twofocused
Focus Addict

Fan#: 408
What I Drive: 84 Stang / 03 Focus SE / 04 F150 /

FF Reputation: 2 Twofocused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
All companies have one goal: Make as much profit as possible. Period. Some companies do legit R&D work to turn out a great product, others claim to do R&D when they really dont, they then inflate prices to turn more profit.

Look at Magnaflow. Minimal R&D work. They used an existing muffler, pipe, and tip to make the Focus catback. All they did was copy the stock system, bend for bend. Yet the Focus catback costs more than the Mustang GT system. Why? Half the hardware, yet more expensive.

CAIs, no real R&D there either. X diameter pipe, MAF X number of inches from the TB, X filter.

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago I would buy the "We spent X dollars on R&D" argument, but there isnt any new technology or ground breaking research going into alot of these products nowdays.

I buy Ebay knockoffs, factory seconds, brand name used, and fab some of my own. I buy new namebrand as a last resort only.

The namebrands push alot of hype to try and justify there prices and products. $50 for a tornado, come on if that thing worked, every new car in America would have one, look how hard the automakers work to push CAFE up by tenths, much less 10-15% per vehicle.

Oil, if it meets manufactures recommendations, thats all the can needs to say. Doesnt matter whose name is on the label. Sure the super slippery high dolar racing oils make a difference, but not enough to justify the cost on a daily driver.

There is alot of Ebay crap out there, cavet emptor.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:34 PM   #30
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Quote:
Originally posted by Twofocused
All companies have one goal: Make as much profit as possible. Period. Some companies do legit R&D work to turn out a great product, others claim to do R&D when they really dont, they then inflate prices to turn more profit.

Look at Magnaflow. Minimal R&D work. They used an existing muffler, pipe, and tip to make the Focus catback. All they did was copy the stock system, bend for bend. Yet the Focus catback costs more than the Mustang GT system. Why? Half the hardware, yet more expensive.

CAIs, no real R&D there either. X diameter pipe, MAF X number of inches from the TB, X filter.

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago I would buy the "We spent X dollars on R&D" argument, but there isnt any new technology or ground breaking research going into alot of these products nowdays.

I buy Ebay knockoffs, factory seconds, brand name used, and fab some of my own. I buy new namebrand as a last resort only.

The namebrands push alot of hype to try and justify there prices and products. $50 for a tornado, come on if that thing worked, every new car in America would have one, look how hard the automakers work to push CAFE up by tenths, much less 10-15% per vehicle.

Oil, if it meets manufactures recommendations, thats all the can needs to say. Doesnt matter whose name is on the label. Sure the super slippery high dolar racing oils make a difference, but not enough to justify the cost on a daily driver.

There is alot of Ebay crap out there, cavet emptor.
Companies need to make a profit to cover things like overhead.

How do think a company can maintain a big facility and the ability to mass produce parts.

Do you know how juch an industrial mandrel bending machine costs. Upwards of $ 500,000.

Point is companies like JBA make a quality product and warranty it so we the consumer get a good part.

If you like cheap parts and do not care about the future of the aftermarket then buy what you want.

Bookmarks & Social Networks