Ford Mulls SVT Fusion and Edge - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Ford Mulls SVT Fusion and Edge

Quote:
Ford Mulls Fusion, Edge SVT Models
By Byron Pope
WardsAuto.com, May 17, 2006 9:15 AM

Ford Motor Co. is considering the new Fusion sedan and Edge cross/utility vehicle as possible additions to its stable of high-performance vehicles, a company spokeswoman tells Ward’s.

The move is part of an emphasis Ford is placing on performance vehicles as it looks for ways to boost sagging sales. It also would represent a re-expansion of the SVT brand, which Ford signaled in April would consist of just two models.
Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 to be badged SVT.

Mark Fields, president-The Americas, last month said the auto maker planned to invest in new products through its Special Vehicle Team (SVT) operation, including one SVT version of the Mustang and a yet-to-be-detailed performance truck.

He predicts the two planned SVT models will sell in the 5,000- to 10,000-unit range annually.

Ford earlier pulled back on plans for an F-Series Lightning pickup, as well as the Sport Trac Adrenalin.

The decision to add more vehicles to the SVT fleet comes on the heels of the success of Ford’s Racing Performance Group, which recently joined SVT in product development.

"Ford performance is still alive, well and kicking,” says Jamie Allison, program manager-Ford Racing Performance Group. “Whether it's called SVT or Ford Racing, Ford enthusiasts and owners of SVT products have a place, and Ford continues to reach out to them.

The redesigned ’05 Mustang is driving sales of aftermarket parts, says Allison.

“We’re seeing sales we haven’t seen in 25 years of Ford racing,” he says, noting the performance group’s sales jumped 10% in 2005, and year-to-date sales are up 15%.

A big draw is the $125,000 Grand Am Cup Mustang, a race-ready vehicle that is turning heads in the Grand Am Cup Series, which is partly owned by NASCAR. The Cup Mustang’s success on the track is leading to increased sales for the auto maker, Allison says.

“Doctors, lawyers and attorneys drive (the Grand Am Cup Mustangs), and they enjoy that sort of racing,” he says. “Because of that success, they are buying production Mustangs for their personal cars. So racing, when done properly, can lead to greater vehicle sales.”

Allison hints that several more undisclosed performance vehicles could be in the works over the next couple of years.

“Performance has always been a part of Ford,” he says. “We intend to sprinkle (other) cars with the same magic as the Mustang, and in the next year or two we’ll be talking about that. There’s a lot of emphasis in the company to push performance.”
Igor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
good f ind, maybe one day their will be moer svt's being made again, and ford is figuring out that consumers do what performance vehicles
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 05-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
Logan175
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 22323
What I Drive: The focus got torched now we have a 3 series BMW

FF Reputation: 1 Logan175 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
hot diggity. My dad wants a fusion and I told him to wait for the svt version and it sounds like it might happen. Igor do you know where the factory is for the svts?

If any of you guys want to get some good shots of the GT500, I was offered a chance to go for some "road testing" when Mid-town ford gets one. Stay tuned for pics.

Logan
Old 05-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
Shadowrunner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31568
What I Drive: 1996 Dk. Green Mustang GT Conv. MTX

FF Reputation: 4 Shadowrunner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i htink the factory is in Dearborn, with the SVT design HQ. don't quote me on that though.
returned fiance's engagement ring, since she returned me, made nice pc funds lol
Old 05-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
igor
Focus Fanatic

No more information than what is in the article...

If you notice Ward is also speculating..

But one thing - I have been saying since January - is coming true .. right now at Ford, Henry Ford's quote comes alive: "History is bullocks"

Nothing (especially about cars) is fixed.. Fields can sy oine thing today and change his mind tomorrow... moreover, he does not hold any previous plans sacred.. if he does not like it, he will simply kill it or at least change it.

Igor
Old 05-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
i wonder what the svt fusion will be like. it would be very sweet if it were equipped with the mazdaspeed 6's engine and awd.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
igor
Focus Fanatic

^^People need to get over the Mazda crap..

Let's see: 350hp Twin Turbo 3.5l V6, AWD Fusion and Edge...

much better than the measly 2.3DISI from Mazda..

Igor
Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
Logan175
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 22323
What I Drive: The focus got torched now we have a 3 series BMW

FF Reputation: 1 Logan175 Good Standing Member
here here!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
igor
Focus Fanatic

pay attention to this part:
Quote:
“We’re seeing sales we haven’t seen in 25 years of Ford racing,” he says, noting the performance group’s sales jumped 10% in 2005, and year-to-date sales are up 15%.

A big draw is the $125,000 Grand Am Cup Mustang, a race-ready vehicle that is turning heads in the Grand Am Cup Series, which is partly owned by NASCAR. The Cup Mustang’s success on the track is leading to increased sales for the auto maker, Allison says.

“Doctors, lawyers and attorneys drive (the Grand Am Cup Mustangs), and they enjoy that sort of racing,” he says. “Because of that success, they are buying production Mustangs for their personal cars. So racing, when done properly, can lead to greater vehicle sales.”
Igor
A bloke at Fj suggest that this pretty much confirms Ford pulling out of NASCAR.. I cannot find much to disprove that.

Igor
Old 05-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by igor
Let's see: 350hp Twin Turbo 3.5l V6, AWD Fusion and Edge...

much better than the measly 2.3DISI from Mazda
you know, that does sound a bit better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->