Rough Idle, Loss of power at high RPMs - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
snowsk8erjg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 24392
What I Drive: 2000 Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 snowsk8erjg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Rough Idle, Loss of power at high RPMs

Here's the deal. I have a 2000 SE and it used to run nice and fast. Recently, it's been running like crap. It has an extremely rough idle and has no power in the power band. It loses all it has at 4000 RPMs. I used to get 35-36 ish mph out of first gear, now I barely get 20mph. I started out with easy stuff. I got a new filter for my CAI, new plug wires, new plugs, changed my fuel filter, and PCV valve. Still ran like shit. I thought the problem might be the fuel pump. I heard about the recall, so I brought it up to a Dealership and they ran diagnostics. They told me I had a dead fuel injector, and that my fuel pressure was fine up until the injectors. So...I got new injectors in it today. I was psyched, figuring I had fixed the problem. I started it up, and it still ran like crap. The only difference is a slight improvement in fuel efficiency. I still have a rough idle, no power over 4000 RPMs, and I'm running out of ideas. CEL is on and shows code PO171 - System too lean. I tested out my EGR and DPFE and they are fine. Anybody have a clue what could be my problem?? I'm running out of ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 232,586, Level 100
Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100 Points: 232,586, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Sounds like it is fuel related. I would change the fuel filter and have another dealer check that fuel pump.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
snowsk8erjg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 24392
What I Drive: 2000 Green SE

FF Reputation: 1 snowsk8erjg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a new fuel filter on as of a few hundred miles ago. It made no difference at all once it was on. I'd have to say it seems fuel related, since it loses power when it's revved up (when the engine is starving for fuel) and since the code says the system is too lean. Just when for a ride to test out some new plugs I just put in and it still runs like shit...
Old 05-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Auto0utcast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10652
What I Drive: 2003 gutted zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Auto0utcast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
could be more than one issue... check the oxygen sensors for faulty readings... not that hard to replace.. could also be losing power/ crappy idle due to a clogged catalytic converter. check both of them out and see how that works for u
MODS: svt header kit, RT 2.5" cat, FS flex, 2.5" trubendz Borla, FR wires, SCT chip, AEM short ram, spec stg 3, vf dogbone, h&r springs, brembo x-drilled and slotted rotors, hawk hp+ pads, oh and shes on a diet...
117hp 134tq - dynapack dyno www.synapsemotorsport.com
15.567 @ 86.51 Lebanon Valley Dragway
Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Scott_SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21836
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black w/Blue int SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Scott_SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
look for vacuum leak, PCV hose is a likely culprit, but also check the manifold boots, brake booster hose, etc.. it would have to be a large leak to affect the idle

Also, clean the Mass Airflow sensor real quick, a dirty MAF can cause all sorts of problems.
SVT SQUAD #8
Hurray!! a Squad! how umm... stupid....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.