Timing Question w/ Aftermarket Cams and Gears - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
craze173
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33583
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 S2

FF Reputation: 1 craze173 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Timing Question w/ Aftermarket Cams and Gears

On aftermarket cams there is a metal piece that sticks off of the camshaft and on aftermarket cam gears there are two holes where the metal piece can fit into. When you tension up the timing belt after the install you are suppost to leave the cam gear bolts loose so that the timing belt can tension up without moving the cams out of time. If this is done the gears will move a little to make up the space to allow the belt to tension, my question is how do you line up the cams metal piece and one of the two holes in the cam gears up once the tension has been applied.
I tried this once last weekend but left the cams and cam gears installed with each other during the install (timing belt tensioning) and that caused my intake cam to retard itself and because of that my car is now out of time. So, if you have any input or have installed cams and gears before I would appriciate your input, thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
craze173
Focus Enthusiast

If any of you have any experience with this your input would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
craze173
Focus Enthusiast

........I guess no input. I will be redoing this on Saturday, so if anyone has any helpful info prior to that please let me know.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
zx3_boy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25977
What I Drive: 2000 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 zx3_boy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
maybe this will help
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=17
Old 05-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
BlackNRed01
Boost?

Fan#: 21668
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 MTX

FF Reputation: 4 BlackNRed01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
if you use the ford racing cam timing tool and dont remove it until after the belt is tightened there shouldnt be an issue.

Boosted & Back: Parting Out
Old 05-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
craze173
Focus Enthusiast

With my question is though is on the new cams and gears they each have a part on them that connects to the other for stronger contact. The cams have a machined cylinder shape of metal that comes off its end and the cam gears have two holes. The metal on the cams fit into one of the two holes that are on the cam gears. When the cam gears are bolted to the cams this forms stronger contact keeping the cams from being able to move out of timing.
My question is when I tension up the timing belt the intake cam moves (retards) itself a few degrees. In the directions for the installation it says to leave the cam gear bolts loose allowing the gears to move with the tension instead of the cams moving (like how mine did). So, I was wondering since the cam has to fit into one of the two holes on the gears, how will I be able to get them lined up after I tension the timing belt? Will it just be trial and error or is there a quick accurate way to do this?
Let me know if this is any clearer or not. Thanks again for your responses.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.