Terrible 1/4 mile times in my SVT - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #31
HalfTime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33093
What I Drive: '03 S/C SVTF, '00 SVTL

FF Reputation: 1 HalfTime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, it wont let me edit my post, but I through in a few more little helpfull tips.

Tips on how to run a low 15 sec 1/4 mile in a STOCK SVTF.

1) If you have the Euro package, you have to pull the fues, #46, to turn traction control off all the way.

2) Do not heat up street tires, by doing a smokey burn out. Street tires become almost gressy after a tipical burn out. Instead, simply "clean" them off, and get them warmed up to operating temp. Cold tires suck ass too. Stay out of the water, rev the eng to about 4k and pop the clutch. Let off the throttle after 3 or 4 revolutions of the tires.

3) Stage as far back as you can for your best E.T. Once the first light turns on, slowly roll forward and stop AS SOON AS the second stageing light turns on. If your racing heads up, Stage as far foward as you can. Roll though the lights, then back up, stop as soon as the second light tunrs on.

4) Rev to about 3700rpms. Tranny in first.

5) When the 3rd yellow turns on, pop the clutch and roll the throtle down quikly.

6) At 7100rpms power shift. Leave your foot planted to the floor, stab the clutch, all the way down, and let off as fast as you can, at the same time shifting as fast as you can, into the next gear.

7) Congradulations, with practice you can now run a low 15 sec 1/4 in your stock SVTF. Imagine what you can run modded...

Notes...
-Spinning tires is bad. However, in a stock SVTF, a little bit of wheel spin will yeild a better E.T. then trying to flote or slip the clutch for the avg driver. You need to practice this. If you spin to much, lower your launch RPMs, if you bogg AT ALL raise them. Popping the clutch should get you a mid 2.1 60ft time once you get it right. With that said, with even more practice, a slipped clutch launch should get you a low 2.0 60 ft time.

-Street tires vrs Drag Radials or slicks. Do not do a smokey burn out on street tires, that'll cause you to lose traction. You only need them cleaned of debri picked up in the parking lot or stageing lanes. Do not lower PSI to much on street tires, if I run 35psi on the street, I'll run 28-30psi at the track. On DR's or Slicks, the more you heat'em up, the better. The lower the psi with out slowing you down on the top end, the better. To heat'emn up right, you need to engage the parking break fully, water the front tires or drive through the wet box. Rev it up to 4k and pop the clutch. Hold your RPMS at around 5500 - 6k. Once you see smoke on both sides, count to 5. One, two, three, four, five. Then disengage your parking brake, and let off the throtle 1/2 way. Let'em hook, then depress the clutch and let off the throtle. Do not "test" the tires. Properly heated DRs or slicks have their best grip ONCE after the burn out. A good launch on street tires for the stock SVTF is a low 2.0 60ft times. DRs and slicks, as low as 1.8s should be atainable.

-Why powershift at 7100 rpms when the red line is at 7250? Have you ever powershifted befor? If you hit the rev limiter during the shift, it will alomst defeat the pourpos of powershifting. Once you get it down, shift as high as you want with out hitting the limiter.

-All this take practice. Modify everything to yeild to your driving style and net you your fastest E.T. Things like Tire pressure, launch rpms, clutch usage, shift rpms. All this take practice to get dialed in. What I have typed up is just a good starting point for the novice.

-Good luck, be safe, and have a fuggin blast!

-For models with traction control, pushing the botton to turn it off does not disengage it until your over 25mpg or so. By pulling the fues, it is compleatly disengaged, but be warrned, so is your ABS, and your brake bias. So no slamming on the brakes, your the rear will lock up on you, and could cause you to go into a spin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #32
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Redline is 7400

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #33
semperfocussvt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38676
What I Drive: 2003 RED SVT

FF Reputation: 1 semperfocussvt Good Standing Member
Thanks for the advice.I am practicing every time I get in the car.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #34
FleaWannaBe
WHITE ON BLACK :)

Fan#: 45837
What I Drive: 2005 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 FleaWannaBe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
ISNT power shifting really bad for your trans.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #35
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

Fan#: 16592
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT; 1572 of 1978

FF Reputation: 31 svt2nv04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
this is just me but i would be so embarrassed to run my SVTF at the track especially if it was stock. even more so because it's already "hooked up" and looks fast. i wouldn't race untill i had FI or a lot of mods. i'm gonna run once i get the n2o hooked up
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #36
FocusInAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
I'm not embarrassed to run my SVT at the track. At my track, cars and trucks run from the 7's (rare) to the 19's (rare). Everybody racing is there to have a good time (some of the spectators are idiots though), and are happy to share their sport.

I've been able to run with every naturally aspirated four-banger (and several V-8 cars) that I've come up against, but I'm really racing against myself. I'm trying to master my car. If somebody doesn't like it, so what?

Between auto-x and drag racing, I'm having a blast in my car. Now if they'll just build that road course….
Old 07-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #37
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

i certainly wouldn't be embarrased at all to go out autocrossing or go out on a road course whether i could drive or not. but when you can't drive and go drag racing in an SVT focus, how embarrasing to do 16s lol

the SVT focus probably still does pretty good at an autox whether you can drive or not lol

this is just me...my opinion
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #38
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

15.3 isn't embarrasing, 16 + in a SVT Focus is embarrasing. you don't even have to be the driver to be embarrased either lol i'm embarrassed hearing about it lol
Old 07-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #39
FocusInAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2nv04 View Post
the SVT focus probably still does pretty good at an autox whether you can drive or not lol
This is not true in my experience. I've absolutely smoked high-end or supposedly fast cars (Porches, Corvettes, MR-2, Miatas, Mustangs, BMWs STIs and EVOs) that have been poorly driven, and am regularly spanked (with most of the field) by a couple of super drivers in a ZX-2 and a stock ZX-3.

BTW, I've run 16's also...and it was embarrassing. If you can't stand embarrassment, don't race. There is a learning curve that everyone goes through.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #40
svt2nv04
SVT Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusInAlaska View Post
This is not true in my experience. I've absolutely smoked high-end or supposedly fast cars (Porches, Corvettes, MR-2, Miatas, Mustangs, BMWs STIs and EVOs) that have been poorly driven, and am regularly spanked (with most of the field) by a couple of super drivers in a ZX-2 and a stock ZX-3.

BTW, I've run 16's also...and it was embarrassing. If you can't stand embarrassment, don't race. There is a learning curve that everyone goes through.
both good points!! i take back what i said

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->