About Duratec Engine - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Cajun Boy876
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32579
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Cajun Boy876 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
About Duratec Engine

Well, this will make me sound like a complete idiot, which I am but i'm slowly learning :-)l. I had my ZTS for two years bought it brand new and I just found out 3 days ago that I had the 2.3L duratec engine and not the 2.0 zetec. I was both dissapointed and happy about it. I had more HP so that is always good but I did all my research on the zetec engine :-(. I was like 2 days away from buying the supercharger kit for my engine when my dad made me go check the engine out. He told me he bought the sports packages for my car, it came w/ spoiler, bigger engine, bigger wheels, better sound system, etc. I dissagreed of course, and so I went check under the hood and sure engouh I had the 2.3L engine. Well, that is my story and I guess i can ask my questioons now :-).

1. How much does the 2.3L produce? (I heard 145)
2. Is it 16 valves like the zetec?
3. Why is the engine so messy? Is there a actual purpose for all those wires and hoses? (Me and my friends just figured that it was for all the sensors).The zetec engine is nice and neat. I showed my friends my engine and they laughed cuz they said they seen modded cars with less wires and tubes running across their engine. Fine, example of this: When I had my hood poped open today a guy walked behind me and my friends and said, "Nice engine, do you have a turbo or nos in that" I just smiled at him, laughin inside my head when it was completly stock.
4.If I add a CAI and Exhaust System to my car would be able to handle the little horsepower gain it receives? (my car is a atx)
5. Is there anyplace I can download a diagram of our engine with it lables.

Well, thats it for now I know im gonna think of a couple once i walk away! Thanx for any replies, you guys are usually great at helping me out :-) Thanx again love this community!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
FocusFreak87
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28487
What I Drive: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5

FF Reputation: 2 FocusFreak87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Well the duratec engine is better than the zetec engine in my opinion. Its stock HP is 144bhp and 151tq (i think thats the right tq) It does have 16 valves. Its messy because of technology....lol...
TEAM DURATEC #108
Studies show that 92% of kids listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listens to real music put this in your signature
Metal... is... AWESOME!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
The aftermarket is still in it's infancy for the Duratec. Recently some non-intercooled turbo kits have been introduced to the market by FocusSport, and Focus-Power is working on one or has built one (I haven't checked in a while).

Yes, your ATX will handle all the mods- others, including one of our moderators- have ATX tranmissions with the 23D motor. In fact, the ATX is the best transmission for drag racing in most opinions. The stock tranny won't handle great amounts of hp, but a company called Lentech makes a beefed ATX that is THE bracket racing transmission. An SCT XCalibrator 1 or 2 will give you the ability to have the motor tuned, save tunes, and change shift rpm points.

I'm sure there's someone else out there who can tell you exactly how much more power the new ATX will handle. There are cams available, but I'd wait on that until you're sure of how the ATX will behave.

Happy modding!!!

PS: messy wiring on the top of the motor= Coil on plug ignition (much better than old ignition), injector wiring harness, cam position sensor, block temp sensor. It works, and nobody is going to see it when you pass them.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
netdrgoon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26752
What I Drive: 2005 Focus Zx3 se D20 M5 - blazing

FF Reputation: 2 netdrgoon Good Standing Member
D23=easy power gains. Intake, header, exhaust, and xcal2 should get you pretty good power. There are ZX3 people here(or on focaljet) running high 14s, some without tunes.

There is no production supercharger kit (everyone keeps saying it is a space issue), but realy, the turbo setups make some good power. The 11psi intercooled version of the focus sport one is making ~220whp/230wtq, and that is on an otherwise stock d20 (the 2.0L duratec). I'll be honest, I envy those of you with a 2.3L. I got screwed as only the sedan had the option of one in 2005 (ST) and I picked a ZX3 (I wanted the 2 door hatch...it is quick as it is).
Old 04-23-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
EricR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21957
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 EricR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Time to go thank your Dad for saving you a whole bunch of grief!
ST Crew #23
Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
metallicanick78
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14314
What I Drive: 03 zx3 D23 stick

FF Reputation: 1 metallicanick78 Good Standing Member
yeah, many people, (myself included) have the 2.0 zx3 because we like the hatch, and seeing how i bough mine in 05 thats all the dealers had. but im looking to buy a second car 04 zx3 w/2.3L because i want the 2.3L. so give your dad a big slap on the back and an adaboy for saving you from the depressing second string engine also known as the D20E.

3" SS Trubendz w/HFC Flex back, Cossie BSD, de-badged----03 zx3 2.3 MTX
Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
mn12bird
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30836
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 mn12bird Good Standing Member
I'm sooo cornfuesed. I thought the 2.3 Duratec only came in the 4 door ST model in 05 and up?!?!?

Jake
Old 04-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #8
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
except for 2003-2004 models found in "green states" or some parts of Canada also.

you are a very lucky guy to have a 2.3
have fun with it.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
So glad I got my 2.3l Duratec in a hatch, well, holy crap, almost 3 years ago. Wow...

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
SilverDuratecZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10220
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX3, 2.3L

FF Reputation: 4 SilverDuratecZX3 Good Standing Member
Same here. When I was researching the cars, I thought to myself, "Should I opt for the upgraded engine for $115?" Didn't take too long for the decision to be made. Also, it came standard on the Premium version, which I wanted for the power windows and keyless entry.

Many people search for the '03-'04 ZX3/5's with the 2.3L, so consider yourself lucky. Just install an intake & exhaust for now and start saving up for the forced induction kits that will be offered in the future.

"No meat on Fridays? What do they eat? Light Bulbs?"
-Homer Simpson on Catholics & their "crazy rules"

Bookmarks & Social Networks