Battery light stays on - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
bigfatpunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34431
What I Drive: focus 1.8 cl td

FF Reputation: 1 bigfatpunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Battery light stays on

I know very little about car mechanics so i hope someone can help.
I have recently purchased a 2002 focus 1.8 CL TD (02).
Ther battery warning light stays on when the engine is running and my local garage told me that the alternator needs replacing at a cost of 250.
I have been driving the car regular for the past 3 weeks and there seems to be no power loss in the battery whatsoever. I thought that if the alternator needed replacing then the battery would not be charging thus draining power from the battery.
Could there be another explaination?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Its probably a case of the alternator is on its way out, and the computer is noticing enough of a voltage drop to trip the light yet the alternator is still putting out enough power to run the car.

That said, I'd check all the wiring connections going into the alternator. I had a similar problem and it turned out it was one of the sensor wires had come off, and if I pushed the wire back together the light would turn off and the engine would go from a rough idle to a smooth one.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
I agree. My first step would be to check and clean the electrical connections to the alternator and the battery. I would also check the grounds in the engine compartment. If one had a voltmeter, checking the battery voltage at rest and then while the engine is running would also be useful.

It would be interesting to know if the battery light goes out if the engine is rev'ed to a high RPM. Often if an alternator is getting "weak" due to a short in the winding or something, higher RPM will make the light go out.

In the old days, a slipping belt could also be the cause; however, since the advent of belt tensioners and serpentine belts I have never seen belt slippage sufficient to cause a charging problem.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Twinkymara
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34523
What I Drive: 2000 red ford focus Se 4dr

FF Reputation: 1 Twinkymara Good Standing Member
I have had to replace my alternator on my 2000 ford focus TWICE in the past 2 1/2 years! Everything your car is doing is what mine would. Battery light stayed on, but my car never died. It was at least a month before my car finally started dieing whenever in idle.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
bigfatpunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34431
What I Drive: focus 1.8 cl td

FF Reputation: 1 bigfatpunk Good Standing Member
After trying all your suggestions i have finally had the alternator changed,
The light has finally gone out.
Thanks for all your helpfull suggestions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.