Instructions on Nite Shading or Spray Tinting? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Jojos ZTS Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32953
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Jojos ZTS Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Instructions on Nite Shading or Spray Tinting?

Hello All,

I am learning to use Nite Shade and am wondering about some proper techinques and tips.

I just did my third brake light with two coats of nite shade and it looks sweet. However, the finish is just a bit dull and I haven't applied a clear coat yet. (Still a work in progress as of this writing)

I was wondering, should I wet sand, with an extremely fine grit, the two coated light, clean it, then apply a few coats of clear coat? or just apply clear coat?

What can a person do to increase the gloss or sheen of the lights?

Also on a side note, share your tinting stories and if you prefer the Testors spray tint, Nite Shade, or some other product for your transparent tinting spray.

I am about to tackle my taillights and want to make sure I am well prepared to have a very decent looking finish on my car.

Thanks for any advise.

Jojo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
dubalicious
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've used Testors spray tint on both my side markers and my rear back up lights.
All you have to do is just clean your light very well and tape off what you don't want tinted. Use thin coats and if you screw up use a rag with some rubbing alcohol and start over when it dries.
To get a nice shine just put a couple coats of Testors gloss clear coat when you are done.
Just take your time and let the tint completly dry between coats.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
magic2119
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17493
What I Drive: 2005 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 magic2119 Good Standing Member
also do get them to shine you can buff them
Team Duratec #15

You Are NOT Prepared!!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Jojos ZTS Focus
Focus Enthusiast

I was planning on using a High Gloss Clear Coat to bring out the shine.

Should I buff with just two coats of tinting spray down, then spray on clearcoat, or should I put down two coats of clear coats (total of 4 coats, 2 tint, 2 clear) then buff if needed?

Also, what product and cloth do you use buff your paint for highest gloss?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
BagginWagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33392
What I Drive: 00 Black Wagon SE

FF Reputation: 1 BagginWagon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Personally, i took my lights off the vehicle, wiped them down with lacquer thinner, sprayed 3-4 coats on, let them dry, put them back on.

If you really want to go through all those steps, that's up to you.

I'm satisfied with the outcome of what i did. I have a black car, so they don't stand out as much as black lights, on a white car.

Click the link in my signature for pictures of all the lights.
BTW, I'm going to be taking the rears back off, and giving them just a tad more...someday
Old 04-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
BagginWagon
Focus Enthusiast

Just wanted to add....

Don't get so serious about this. If you don't like the turn out, all it takes is some laquer thinner, and you're back to stock.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
ROBSONzts
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19217
What I Drive: '03 ZTS CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 ROBSONzts Good Standing Member
I've been alittle scared to do this to my car, but I'll definitly do i now knowin how easy it is to take off if I screw-up.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Jojos ZTS Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Baggin Waggin,
Your ride does look pretty sharp. I also have a black car. I already ordered another two cans of Nite Shade for my back two taillight.

However, I didn't know you can remove the Nite Shade after you apply it. From what I've read, once you put it on, you can't get it all off without degrading the lamps or removing it all completely. (After it dries)

Another question for your Baggin, When you did your turn signals up front (and your side markers), how many coats did you use? Does the amber color show through as amber or are they the "reddish" tint that I've heard about.

I am wondering because if it becomes "reddish" when blinking that the police may have an issue with that. Let me know how your came out.

One more thing, Did you use a clear coat on top of your shading or is it straight shading?

Thanks Baggin for the info.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
BagginWagon
Focus Enthusiast

I used 4 coats on the turn signals, and third brake light. They're not red at all. They light up pretty much like stock. You can barely notice they've been painted at night. I used 2-3 on the rear tail lights, but i think i'm going to do one more because i can still see quite a bit of red during the day. When the brake lights are on, you can't tell there's paint on them. I didn't use any clear coat, sand, or buff any of them.

Nite shades comes off with any paint thinner/laquer thinner. Now, if you sanded the light, before painting...then it's not going to come back to stock once you remove the paint. That's why i just sprayed it on, without sanding at anytime.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
uberfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30847
FF Reputation: 1 uberfocus Good Standing Member
hmm i had a subaru impreza that i night shaded ... .come time for my inspection (bout 4 or 5 month later) i hadda remove it for it to pass .... and that stuff is a pain in the arse to get off ....i had to use this nasty spray to remove it and it started to eat my tail lights .. so i had to run to auto zone to get either (which ed me up while using it) hurried home to whip this nasty nasty nasty stuff off ..... my final tail lights were horrid they looked like some one diped em in acid for a hot second ...... well ne ways ... im sure its easier to get it off right after its been done ... but all im saying is dont wait for ever to fix em if you dont like the out come ...

i recently did my focus tail and they came out much better ... did about 5 or 7 coats .. no clear coat they look a bit dull but i like em .... i mak try to clear em soon but yea 5-7 coats ... there dark lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks