gude turbo - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2003, 01:55 PM   #1
Walt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 850
What I Drive: 2003 liquid gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Walt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
gude turbo

I,m thinking of getting a gude turbo does anyone have one, and if so what do you think about it. Is there a turbo that would be better for my daily driver. I have an automatic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
CowsGoMoo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
Any forced induction, stock auto will go out immediately. You'll need to invest 1-2k in the trannie before it can handle that power. Also, you made a mistake about asking about gude on this forum, everyone is going to tear you apart lol. Gude is one of the worst kits to buy, they don't provide fuel management which leads to blown engines.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,991, Level 100
Points: 50,991, Level: 100 Points: 50,991, Level: 100 Points: 50,991, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Go with anything but gude

QUOTE "some great books like Richard Holdener's "High-Performance Ford Focus Builder's Handbook", any idiot can set up a good "tuned" Gude Stage II kit.

Im sure you are a great guy and i hope i dont come of to hard here but , You are FAR from being tuned , and any idiot cant even come close to tuning one if you had 10 worthless books like "High-Performance Ford Focus Builder's Handbook, they should of called that "what parts to buy from focus central or " how to build a dyno queen"

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-26-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 50,991, Level 100
Points: 50,991, Level: 100 Points: 50,991, Level: 100 Points: 50,991, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
I suppose the word "tuned" is what gets your panties in a wad.

*Not at all my panties are not in a wada at all my point was dont tell people by reading one book and buying a gude kit that they will be fine and good to go and there car is tuned

Ok, can I go out on the street and win competition after competion? No!

*You could with a decent turbo kit

Can I put some serious juice into my daily driving car and get alot of attention at the local hang out or auto clubs? Yes!

*Yes true but you could do this and open many more eyes by saying i did X HP/TQ and did an impressive 1/4-1/4 Road Track ,I have seen many people gauk at cars with just a lot of boltons or just a jrsc so saying that does not say much to me any way

Will the Gude Kit Turn heads as you ride by Rod Runs? Yes!!

*A good looking car alone will do that

Do I enjoy racking up speeding ticket after speeding ticket? No!

*Good that makes 2 of us havent had a speeding ticket in 5 years , But what does that have to do with buying a crappy turbo kit , You can get speeding tickets with a stock Focus

What is the actual truth in anything you read on the internet anyways? About 99.9% is BS and the rest is what you have found out on your own.

*Not at all i dont beleive 99.9 % of what is on this sofum is BS at all, So is 99.9% of all the good stuff you are saying about the gude turbo kit BS ?

According to legitimate resources within the Automotive industry. Nothing has ever been tracked down to engineering problems with the Gude Turbo Kits.

*Sorry but i feel i am a ligitimate resource for the Focus community and yes , It is proven by many people the the waste gate over boost`s at times , The down pipe is to small, there advertised 280HP can never be done with out major over spool of the turbo, Sucking in all the under hood hot air is a very bad thing , there is no PROPER tuning , ALL of this is engineering problems , Shall i go on

By the way. I definately do not claim to know more about anything than others posting on this forum and I am full aware I have like 5 posts compared to others with hundreds. Yes, I'm a rookie and proud of it. I only have one way to go...on top....where as when you are already on the top, the only way to go is down.

*Boy im glad im not on top ! Where do you come up with this stuff and more than that do you realy beleive everything you say?

I can tell you this much though, no one is 100% full on free of errors with automive parts manufacturing and no one is 100% free of errors in building a car...VW, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford and others have all had recalls on their automobiles through-out the years and some within all auto companies have had things go wrong that should have been fixed but the end result screwed the customer. Mistakes are going to be made and engines can blow up anytime you take one over manufacture specs. Sometimes without doing anything to the engine they can detonate.

*NO,NO Were not talking "errors" or "Mistakes" we are talking BLATANT just have not fixed the problems for over 4 years and knowing there was problems , I talked to Bill my self and offered him proper tuning in 2000 but he refused to go that direction because it would up the cost of the kit

Just look to some of the Pro teams on different racing circuits...if there was a computer out there that could save your engine from detonation 100% of the time...don't you think NASCAR and other circuits would invest heavily into such devices? Forced Induction or not. You don't need to get a Turbo to apply that type of technology. Also, don't you think they know what a "Tuned" engine is?

*I am not talking a unit that will 100% save your engine all the time there isnt one but at least add or offer proper tuning (large enough injectors to handle the boost with a broper mass air to have enough room and some form of PCM controle to make it all work)

Or is it that anyone without a "Toms" Turbo kit doesn't know what a "Tuned" engine is? End of story.

*Not at all there is many options out there not for proper tuning ,Find one and use it

I mean look, I'm sure you all are great guys and everything, and I hope I don't come off to hard here...... (what kind of welcome is that anyways?)

*Welcome

But Jesus, the Pro Teams have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in their engines and they do blow them up even without turbochargers. These devices would be very helpfull in Formula One Racing and I am aware that these chips and units are used in Off-road racing. But they ARE NOT 100% ACCURATE.

* Suse they do but there engines are pushed to the max with compression and on the ragged edge anyway day and night between there engines and yours that with proper tuning and a quality kit should run for 75,000 miles

As far as Tom's Turbo vs. Gude vs. any other turbo kit....It's just the same as Chevy vs. Ford vs. any other make out there. Some prefer one car and some guys prefer another.....it's an age old argument.....get over it because Testosterone isn't going to make your Car or Turbo any better. However, price, looks, and quality will. If Gude is so bad, let them deal with it and start reading the Better Business Reports. Leave people that have Gude Turbo kits alone. These people are just customers and chances are they aren't going to make a choice in products because of what somebody says on an internet Forum. If they do, they are definately the ones to end up with a blown engine. You must and most definately have to do better research than reading internet forums.

If it turns out my engine goes and I look to get another.....most likely it won't be a "Toms" Turbo simply by what I have read on this forum, (although the website does have a cool flash intro).

The whole point of my post here is, you don't go to a Chevrolet dealer and see them bashing you or your car because it's a Ford do you? No you don't, and you also don't see them recruiting their butt-buddies to bash a potential customer and try to seduce them into buying a new car. Anyone to use such tactics is just asking to get reamed a new a-hole by their boss.

*I dont agree it isnt a Ford vs Chevy because they both make a good reliable car and in differant types but in most cases a quality piece and that is just not the case between focus-power and a gude kit

*It all comes down to what do you want for your car a second rate turbo so you have bragging rights at the local car shows " hay i got a turbo Focus" or the best quality turbo kit for your car, lifetime warranty on every part i make with a unconditional 1 year warranty on the turbo a kit that will make from 180HP to 320 out of the same kit and you cant get that from gude at 2 times the cost

*It all comes down to you get what you pay for

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
focuz04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6866
FF Reputation: 1 focuz04 Good Standing Member
Quote:
As far as Tom's Turbo vs. Gude vs. any other turbo kit....It's just the same as Chevy vs. Ford vs. any other make out there. Some prefer one car and some guys prefer another.....it's an age old argument.....get over it because Testosterone isn't going to make your Car or Turbo any better. However, price, looks, and quality will. If Gude is so bad, let them deal with it and start reading the Better Business Reports. Leave people that have Gude Turbo kits alone. These people are just customers and chances are they aren't going to make a choice in products because of what somebody says on an internet Forum. If they do, they are definately the ones to end up with a blown engine. You must and most definately have to do better research than reading internet forums.
Ok well I will tell you first hand now.. You are very correct about the research part.. I think that you need to do some yourself.. I had an aerocharger that was tuned and it still blew up.. I would guess it will be a matter of time before you start to see smoke coming out of the wrong places.. I could be wrong but all fingers seem to point in that direction if you havent figured that out.. Tom is by far the best seller of turbo's for the zetec and duratech motors.. His kits are tried and true.. He also hapens to be one of the best if not the best source for information on turbocharging the ford focus.. I say good luck with no tuning.. You are a brave man.. I hope that you don't end up in the same situation I am in right now.. Bottom line is that Gude may be cheaper and have great claims but anybody who has been around for awhile can tell you that it is not a gude move.. Save your money and do it right the first time.. ZIf you need search on FJ or on here.. But FJ seems to have a little more FI info so do a search and you will see..
jake
Old 09-26-2004, 06:29 PM   #6
focuz04
Focus Enthusiast

Hey, there is no reason to get upset.. I don't go around bashing others turbo's.. There are quite a few custom turbo's out there that I am rather impresssed by.. The point is, is that they have TUNING.. I just think that leading someone who is new to this to think that TUNING is not needed or you can get by without it is a little unfair.. Unless you are willing to help pay for the new engine.. I don't know everything by far.. But I do know enough to say that TUNING is very very important on an engine with boost.. I would highly recommend precisions kit just by what Welding rod has done and if you can get gude tuned correctly and safely then good on you.. But to tell someone something will work when it could cause catastrauphic damage is unfair.. Glad to hear that your turbo is working great without TUNING.. Just hope that you dont blow up your motor.. FI is by no means easy.. And it will cost alot of money in the long run no matter what.. Good luck to all, gude or whatever.. good luck..
jake
Old 09-27-2004, 04:05 AM   #7
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 1turbofocus
I suppose the word "tuned" is what gets your panties in a wad.

*Not at all my panties are not in a wada at all my point was dont tell people by reading one book and buying a gude kit that they will be fine and good to go and there car is tuned

Ok, can I go out on the street and win competition after competion? No!

*You could with a decent turbo kit

Can I put some serious juice into my daily driving car and get alot of attention at the local hang out or auto clubs? Yes!

*Yes true but you could do this and open many more eyes by saying i did X HP/TQ and did an impressive 1/4-1/4 Road Track ,I have seen many people gauk at cars with just a lot of boltons or just a jrsc so saying that does not say much to me any way

Will the Gude Kit Turn heads as you ride by Rod Runs? Yes!!

*A good looking car alone will do that

Do I enjoy racking up speeding ticket after speeding ticket? No!

*Good that makes 2 of us havent had a speeding ticket in 5 years , But what does that have to do with buying a crappy turbo kit , You can get speeding tickets with a stock Focus

What is the actual truth in anything you read on the internet anyways? About 99.9% is BS and the rest is what you have found out on your own.

*Not at all i dont beleive 99.9 % of what is on this sofum is BS at all, So is 99.9% of all the good stuff you are saying about the gude turbo kit BS ?

According to legitimate resources within the Automotive industry. Nothing has ever been tracked down to engineering problems with the Gude Turbo Kits.

*Sorry but i feel i am a ligitimate resource for the Focus community and yes , It is proven by many people the the waste gate over boost`s at times , The down pipe is to small, there advertised 280HP can never be done with out major over spool of the turbo, Sucking in all the under hood hot air is a very bad thing , there is no PROPER tuning , ALL of this is engineering problems , Shall i go on

By the way. I definately do not claim to know more about anything than others posting on this forum and I am full aware I have like 5 posts compared to others with hundreds. Yes, I'm a rookie and proud of it. I only have one way to go...on top....where as when you are already on the top, the only way to go is down.

*Boy im glad im not on top ! Where do you come up with this stuff and more than that do you realy beleive everything you say?

I can tell you this much though, no one is 100% full on free of errors with automive parts manufacturing and no one is 100% free of errors in building a car...VW, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford and others have all had recalls on their automobiles through-out the years and some within all auto companies have had things go wrong that should have been fixed but the end result screwed the customer. Mistakes are going to be made and engines can blow up anytime you take one over manufacture specs. Sometimes without doing anything to the engine they can detonate.

*NO,NO Were not talking "errors" or "Mistakes" we are talking BLATANT just have not fixed the problems for over 4 years and knowing there was problems , I talked to Bill my self and offered him proper tuning in 2000 but he refused to go that direction because it would up the cost of the kit

Just look to some of the Pro teams on different racing circuits...if there was a computer out there that could save your engine from detonation 100% of the time...don't you think NASCAR and other circuits would invest heavily into such devices? Forced Induction or not. You don't need to get a Turbo to apply that type of technology. Also, don't you think they know what a "Tuned" engine is?

*I am not talking a unit that will 100% save your engine all the time there isnt one but at least add or offer proper tuning (large enough injectors to handle the boost with a broper mass air to have enough room and some form of PCM controle to make it all work)

Or is it that anyone without a "Toms" Turbo kit doesn't know what a "Tuned" engine is? End of story.

*Not at all there is many options out there not for proper tuning ,Find one and use it

I mean look, I'm sure you all are great guys and everything, and I hope I don't come off to hard here...... (what kind of welcome is that anyways?)

*Welcome

But Jesus, the Pro Teams have hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in their engines and they do blow them up even without turbochargers. These devices would be very helpfull in Formula One Racing and I am aware that these chips and units are used in Off-road racing. But they ARE NOT 100% ACCURATE.

* Suse they do but there engines are pushed to the max with compression and on the ragged edge anyway day and night between there engines and yours that with proper tuning and a quality kit should run for 75,000 miles

If it turns out my engine goes and I look to get another.....most likely it won't be a "Toms" Turbo simply by what I have read on this forum, (although the website does have a cool flash intro).

The whole point of my post here is, you don't go to a Chevrolet dealer and see them bashing you or your car because it's a Ford do you? No you don't, and you also don't see them recruiting their butt-buddies to bash a potential customer and try to seduce them into buying a new car. Anyone to use such tactics is just asking to get reamed a new a-hole by their boss.

*I dont agree it isnt a Ford vs Chevy because they both make a good reliable car and in differant types but in most cases a quality piece and that is just not the case between focus-power and a gude kit

*It all comes down to what do you want for your car a second rate turbo so you have bragging rights at the local car shows " hay i got a turbo Focus" or the best quality turbo kit for your car, lifetime warranty on every part i make with a unconditional 1 year warranty on the turbo a kit that will make from 180HP to 320 out of the same kit and you cant get that from gude at 2 times the cost

*It all comes down to you get what you pay for

Tom
*Claps Hands* Well put.

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna
Old 09-27-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
focuz04
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I am not talking a unit that will 100% save your engine all the time there isnt one but at least add or offer proper tuning (large enough injectors to handle the boost with a broper mass air to have enough room and some form of PCM controle to make it all work)
Ok, good luck with your turbo and I hope for you that your engine holds up.. Good luck..
jake
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Points 50,991, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 36%
First off this is a discussion, so stop acting like a child and saying im gona take my ball and go play some where else , Stick around you might learn something , Many of the guys/girls in here have been here for a long time and back when the gude turbo kits were poping zetec engines like popcorn gude knew there was a problem with them and opted to do nothing but keep selling them as they were , You can look and ask in the Focus or the ZX2 boards and you will get the same thing everyplace you go "stay away from a gude turbo"

There is sooooo many things wrong is this statement that there is no way to cover tham all and some of them are correct so ill just cover a few

QUOTE "It might not be able to correctly sense things from the O2 sensors until the engine is ran for about 5 minutes "

*Not true , The Focus PCM in its day (2000-2004)was one of the fastest and most acurate that Ford has released as soon as the engine key is turned the PCM goes to work at engine start up the PCM goes into open loop startup this lasts for 15 to 20 Sec then goes to closed loop where the o2 sensors are telling the PCM what trim is needed to maintain a set target IN MOST CASES IN LESS THAN 30 SEC

QUOTE "which then it might do something odd at WOT"

*What would it do odd ? ALL the settings are there it cannot do anything odd IF you have enough room in the air meter and dont hit 100% injector duty cycle

QUOTE "that is because it takes time for the O2 sensors to read correctly.

*True 30 Sec or less

QUOTE " The closed loop air/fuel ratio is hard-coded in the PCM to be 14.7:1.

*Altho this is true it does not assure that your Focus is hitting this target the PCM has the ability to watch the A/F and make corrections , If you go and add 38LB injectors to the mix and dont tell the PCM (recalibrated mass air /low and high injector slope) you just did this the PCM is seeing a fuel enrichment of 15% to almost 100% because of the larger injectors , Anything more than 28% trim and the trim fails and goes into open loop 2/3 and stays there and you would never know it even happened unless you have a scan tool to check it

The idle A/F is 100% adjustable/controlable WITH PROPER TUNING as is everything , Are you aware that by adding larger injectors and a recalibrated mass air you added more timing to your already aggressive timing tables , That you have changed your load / RPM calculation tables

QUOTE "Even in closed loop, the injector pulsewidth calculation is really just a guess based on the MAF sensor, the injector constant and offset, and (possibly) those VE table numbers.

*How can it be a guess you said above that " the MAF sensor tells the PCM how much air the engine is inhaling, the injector constant and injector-offset vs. voltage values tell the PCM how much fuel the injector will flow for any particular pulsewidth, so the PCM just does the math to calculate the appropriate injector pulsewidth.

The PCM in the Focus does little if any guessing it is all calculated and the nice thing is WITH PROPER TUNING its all adjustable

focus-power was first to tune the zx3 , svt , 05 Focus we know how to tune and how most of the things work in the PCM , Im sure you wont buy a chip from us but there is other options to properly tune

Contact McNews/ FocusSport for a chip or look into the Superchips SCT Pro self tuner you some what have a grasp on how the PCM works so you should have no problem with the SCT sefl tuner cost is only 795.00, PROPER TUNING will do nothing more than enhance your boosted ride

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-27-2004, 12:49 PM   #10
ZETEC3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 81
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid grey ZX3, 95 240SX SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZETEC3 Good Standing Member
The problem that the I always heard of people having with the gude kit is becuz the J&S safeguard isnt a tuning device it tells you if something wrong but it doesnt correct it.

And I didn't read through every word of this thread but did you say that you could run a turbo with the stock ecu and have everything be just fine? Cuz if so you need to wake up and actually be open to what everyone else says and not just what you THINK is right.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.