Powershifting? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
zal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28635
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 1 zal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Powershifting?

what is it? do i need to do it? and why?

MacBook 2.0 Black
"The Focus looks kinda like a retarded shark with wheels"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
ILuvMyZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26263
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ILuvMyZX3 Good Standing Member
shifting without taking your foot off the gas pedal.
don't do it, unless you know what you're doing or you're willing to deal with the consequences.
Team Duratec #45
Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #3
jboylan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5755
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT SVT Squad#

FF Reputation: 1 jboylan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Its pretty much just for drag racing, you don't need to do it for regular driving (its probably a good idea to refrain from it). Basically you do it to keep the revs from dropping and to change gears as fast as possible. If anyone tells you that you should be double clutching, then you can legally kick them in the balls.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9775
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 kenpokid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
TRUE powershifting is keeping your foot fully crammed to the floor and not even using the clutch to shift...you just slam the gears. You can, however, "lightly powershift", and let your foot up a little bit on the gas and just tap the clutch. That is what I do and it is very quick. Powershifting will usually wear your gearbox pretty fast, especially if you don't use the clutch.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
bruinsh
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18989
What I Drive: 2003 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bruinsh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
basic concept to keep in mind: DONT DO IT! lol
Old 04-21-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
firemanfrank
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5254
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 firemanfrank Good Standing Member
POWERSHIFTING IS:

Making upshifts while keeping the ACCELERATOR PEDAL FULLY DEPRESSED while QUICKLY USING YOUR CLUTCH for each one of those upshifts.

That is powershifting.

Points To Consider:

1) In powershifting, crossing over the "H pattern" to the next gear is the really tricky maneuver (for a typical 5-speed, that wouuld mean the "2-3 shift).

2) The "1-2" and "3-4" powershift is fairly easy (after just a little bit of practice), but NO ONE should really attempt to make the "2-3" powershift unless you have a short throw shifter. This is a must!

3) Powershifting will typically reduce acceleration times by 1-2 tenths of a second unless you are breaking the tires loose so badly that you are losing time spinning the tires.

4) CONTINUOUSLY powershifting your vehicle will also typically reduce the service life of your transmission's synchros (among other parts).

On my ST, powershifting 1-2 and 3-4 is a breeze, and excessive tire spin is minimal.

But I wouldn't do it unless:

-The roads were clean and dry
-I was in a position where I required that extra 1-2 tenths of a second

Last edited by firemanfrank; 04-21-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
fokuzx3
teh tranny killer

Fan#: 15685
What I Drive: r.i.p. liquid grey zx3....now 300zx

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzx3 Good Standing Member
no lie, powershifting has dropped my quarter time by almost a full second..you dont know how much it helps at the track...of course thats the only place i do it, cuz everywhere else i dont get enough traction...if your clutch is slipping in anyway DONT do it, cuz your just gonna be wasting your time, fortunately mine doesnt..*knock on wood*..but before with my same mods i was only hittin maybe a 15.9, and now a 15.2 with practice along with powershifting..i have found no side effects at all, it will chirp a bit in third from the syncros but its only the sound, never has posed me any real trouble before...but definitly dont grind it till you find it while doing this or a couple of runs down the track and you will be ed
zetec crew #23
zetec R.I.P. best standing 1/4 time= 15.260 @88.08 mph (2.275 60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
it takes a minute to get used to, kinda like shaving your balls.. haha
Old 04-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

Quote:
Originally posted by firemanfrank
POWERSHIFTING IS:

Making upshifts while keeping the ACCELERATOR PEDAL FULLY DEPRESSED while QUICKLY USING YOUR CLUTCH for each one of those upshifts.
I have heard otherwise. Back in the day with straight cut trannys, no synchros, people powershifted without the clutch. You are right though, using the clutch lightly but keeping your foot fully crammed IS poweshifting...but by getting into the semantics of it, TRUE powershifting is just slamming the gears without the clutch hence the "power" needed to do it by the driver. Some people do it well and are successful. I havn't lol...but I know it works. What we are talking about is more less "speed shifting." You have to be fast to do this without missing gears or smoking your clutch.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
firemanfrank
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5254
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 firemanfrank Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by kenpokid
I have heard otherwise ... TRUE powershifting is just slamming the gears without the clutch hence the "power" needed to do it by the driver.
"power shifting", "speed shifting", "clutchless shifting" ...

The terms go on and on!

Well, I Googled the phrase "power shifting", and after almost an hour I have found that there is no real consensus (one way or another) as to what the term "power shifting" means.

Oh well!

I think the only way that we'll ever find out the "true" definition of "power shifting" is to ask an automotive historian/journalist. Otherwise, the threads about what this means ...

goes on ...

and on ...

and on.

That having been said, here are some interesting posts from LS1TECH on "power shifting":

Quote:
Doug
You cannot powershift a stock trans without using the clutch. You wont be able to get it out of gear unless you let off the gas.

Powershifting is simple. Never let off the gas pedal. Hold it to the floor the entire time. When its time to shift have some pressure on the shifter aimed for the next gear and stab the clutch with your foot.

Hopefully by the time you let out the clutch it will be in the next gear. Thats how you powershift.
Quote:
critter
I have been driving for about 50 years, and I have never heard anyone call clutchless shifting, "powershifting".

The only clutchless shifting I have ever done or seen done is with a pro shifted transmission (and that includes the muscle car glory days).

You may get it out of gear without a clutch, but you will never get it in the next gear leaving it on the mat.
And what I think is the best post of them all ...

Quote:
BriancWS6
Powershifting: Shifting "with" the clutch under continous WOT.
Speedshifting: Letting off the throttle for the split second it takes to push in the clutch and hit the next gear.
Granny shifting: Shifting out of the powerband, at lower than optimum rpms, letting off the throttle for the shifts
Shifting without the clutch: A good way to a BAD day!!!!
LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by firemanfrank
"power shifting", "speed shifting", "clutchless shifting" ...

The terms go on and on!

Well, I Googled the phrase "power shifting", and after almost an hour I have found that there is no real consensus (one way or another) as to what the term "power shifting" means.

Oh well!

I think the only way that we'll ever find out the "true" definition of "power shifting" is to ask an automotive historian/journalist. Otherwise, the threads about what this means ...

goes on ...

and on ...

and on.

That having been said, here are some interesting posts from LS1TECH on "power shifting":

And what I think is the best post of them all ...

LOL
alright, agreed

Bookmarks & Social Networks