Review of rear H&R 24mm Sway Bar - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Review of rear H&R 24mm Sway Bar

I purchased my H&R 24mm Rear Sway bar from NA Motorsports for $177.xx. While the price online was good, I was a little upset shipping was so expensive compared to say New Edge's - $25 from NA and only $13 from New Edge. Oh well, I still saved, and I guess that's how I should look at it (me el cheapo I suppose).

My initial thoughts after installation: I really couldn't even tell it was installed. The car drove no differently on bumpy roads than with the stock 21mm bar. I was almost a little disappointed as I felt I just spent basically $180 for nothing.

Well, then I finally decided to play with the car once I had a little more free time (installed it right before I went to work). My thoughts after making some higher speed turns: you suddenly realized how well the bar was working. The car rolls noticeably less than the stock bar. I also know it's working fairly well when my inner rear wheel is not lifting on hard turns. From what I was told (though I cannot verify for certain), my inner wheel did not lift from the ground while I was autocrossing.

Turn-in still felt the same, and I didn't get the oversteer affect I was quite looking for. However, that scenario only applies in smooth transitions, but for course sections such as slaloms and quick transitions, the car rotated much easier and snapped back into shape a little faster. While the change is not a dramatic one, it is noticeable in some aspects. But at the same time, you do not give up any compliance for the slight performance adjustment the bar allows.

If you're on a budget or just uncertain about jumping up to stiffer springs, this may be a good alternative without as much investment. I just wanted to share my personal thoughts and current experience.

SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil

Last edited by Oni; 04-09-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Oni
Oh yeah!

I hope this shows, but this picture is with the 21mm stock rear sway bar. Maybe you can tell the difference between the H&R and SVT bars and how much roll is present in the rear (notice the angle the rear bumper is tilted at).

Autocrossing with stock SVT Rear Sway bar
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 04-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Oni
Oh yeah!

I'm interested to know if DirtyDeeds by chance has gotten to autocross with his new front and rear sway bar. Anybody else purchase H&R parts while they were on sale at North American Motorsports?
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Uncledevo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115174
What I Drive: 2005 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Uncledevo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Eibach rear anti roll bar installation

Anyone have instructions on how to do this? I need photos or detailed information. I have a 2005 ZX3 and the mounting brackets Ford sold me do not seem to be correct.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledevo View Post
Anyone have instructions on how to do this? I need photos or detailed information. I have a 2005 ZX3 and the mounting brackets Ford sold me do not seem to be correct.

Thanks!
Did your car come from Ford with a rear swaybar? If it did not, you may not have the mount brackets on your rear subframe to mount a sway bar. If that is the case, you will need this Focus Swaybar Hardware Kit to have the mounting points for what ever bar you plan to use.

Pictures of it installed here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...php?t=203354#2

If you already have a rear-swaybar installed, then its pretty much a straight swap, just make sure you have the right size bushings for the new bar if you went to the larger 24mm from the top of this thread. Undo the endlinks then remove the bolts that hold the bar to the rear subframe....reverse for install
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Uncledevo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115174
What I Drive: 2005 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Uncledevo Good Standing Member
This is my problem. My car did not come with an anti-sway bar so the mounting brackets are missing on the sub-frame. Have followed the link you provided and ordered the brackets from Steeda.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
emsvitil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50210
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 9 emsvitil Good Standing Member
Also make sure the rear lower control arms are reinforced around the sway-bar mounting hole............
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 06-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Also make sure the rear lower control arms are reinforced around the sway-bar mounting hole............
iirc, by '05 ford switched to that for all focus (even though they didnt put sway bars on most of their focus by then )
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Tarmac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88653
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Tarmac Good Standing Member
I'm far from an expert, but doesn't a stiffer rear swaybar make the rear loose side lift more, rather than less?
Build #94

Bookmarks & Social Networks