Focus Thailand - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Regional Forums > Overseas Fanatics > Fanatics: Asia

Fanatics: Asia Asia Global Forum

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Gedeon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118814
What I Drive: 2012 2.0L Sport+ Winning Blue Focus

Points 126, Level 2
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 Gedeon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Thailand

Hi guys,

Any focus in Thailand?

I'd like to hear from other owners here. What dealership do you recommend/avoid, what mods you have done to your car, ... Anything really!

Seeing how empty this forum is, I don't really expect answers soon but hey, feel free to reply even if this message is old and dusty!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Gedeon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
I might as well start with my own experience:

Purchase
Back in October 2012, I wanted to buy a Winning Blue Sport+.
After visiting several dealerships that would only have them by early January 2013, I went to Ford Ramkamhaeng which told me they had 2 in stock.
Even though I could not see the car ("not ready, blah blah blah") I paid the 5000thb deposit right away to get it delivered "within a week".
A week passed without hearing from them. I called them to get an update and they informed me that my car had been in some sort of accident in the garage, which I could not get any detail of. They could not give me any reason for not letting me know about it, either.
When I mentioned the other identical Focus in their stock, they first seemed confused and finished the conversation by telling me that the other one had been in an accident as well. The only option they gave me was "Waiting for a month to see if they could get another one. If not, then by February 2013".

Clearly, they never had the car in the first place and were just intending to keep me waiting until the car was delivered from the factory or until they could find one somewhere else.
I cancelled that purchase and never got my deposit back.

A few days and phone calls later, my friend found one in Ford Pattaya, which is the one I have been driving since then. I have nothing much to say about them as I was there only for about 1 hour. Purchase went flawlessly.
The only thing that surprised me is that the car already had 487km on the odometer. When asked about it, they told me that the car had been tested at the factory.
I seriously doubt they pay someone to drive each new car for 10 hours for testing purpose, but in the heat of the moment, I just let it go. It was either that or waiting for several months to get another car.

Driving
Since then, I've put about 14,000km on it. Mostly in Bangkok and at least once a month on week end trips.
Not much to complain about, the car takes me where I want to go. In Thailand, I am pretty sure the Focus is the most fun car you can get for that amount of money or even anywhere near it.

Issues
The car suffers from the transmission grinding noise which I learned to live with. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the car was sold to another customer who drove it for 400km before taking it back to the dealership because of it.

The front left parking sensor detects obstacles that aren't there. When I mentioned it to a ford mechanic, he immediately told me: "Front left?". It's apparently a common issue and there is no fix.

Once, the car had an electrical failure. Nothing electrical was working. only signs of electricity were:
- The red "[I]" on the dashboard
- A very dim glovebox light
- Flickering console screen for a minute

After jump-starting the car, everything was ok and back to normal. Ford could not find anything wrong with the car and the battery was showing normal levels. I have not had this issue since then.

Mileage is worse than I expected, mostly because of city driving.
City: 15 to 18l/100km (13 to 15 mpg)
Week end trips: 8.5l/100km (27 mpg)

Broken mirror:
A motorbike hit my left mirror back in mid-November and broke it (it is still usable though).
Ford just got the new part and may be able to install it on January 11. Again, no specific date, just "maybe".
No matter what, that's extremely slow. My car has been looking like since then due to the missing cover. Quite unhappy with the delay.
Does it mean that if a more vital part of the car broke, I would not have a car for this long?

Upgrades
Around June 2013, a friend and I installed an AEM air intake. It's a nice upgrade over the factory "vacuum cleaner" sound it makes.

I am looking into buying Ford 7-spoke wheels but again, dealerships don't stock up on them and will only order them after taking a deposit. Hard to spend 32,000thb on wheels only based on what I saw on a photo.

Maintenance
The first maintenance was done at Ford Sukhumvit 62.
I was impressed by their service and efficiency. They did a great job, explained everything they did and why they did it, gave some recommendations and were generally very helpful. I will definitely go there again.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
reverendhtc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104928
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Sport+

Points 32, Level 1
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 reverendhtc Good Standing Member
Nice to hear about another Focus owner in Thailand.

I have a white Focus S which was purchased from the Ford dealership in Koh Samui which is where i live. Purchsed the car in October 2012 and have had a few issues with it. Main problems was a similar electrical issue as you. The car's electronics died 3 times. Once whilst i was in the queue waiting for the ferry from Don Sak pier :-(. The dealership were very helpful and found the problem the 2nd and 3rd times it occurred. Basically the battery earth and power cables under the battery had a bad connection from the factory. This has been rectified and I haven't had an eletrical problem since.

Unfortunately my car was hit by another vehicle in the rear. It has since been repaired but is not perfect. No Ford body shop on Samui.

I also have a transmission / clutch rattle and like you I have learned to live with it. I also have a knocking sound from the front suspension. Do you have this? So far no clutch judder like American owners have experienced.

No upgrades at the moment, but I am thinking of buying a new entertainment system from lightinthebox.com. they sell plug in android systems with dvd, wi-fi, navigation, 3g data access and most importantly a larger screen which can have a rear reverse camera connected to it.

Overall i am happy with the car but i wish i could find the source of the suspension noise. I know the clutch rattle cannot be fixed.

A quick tip, if you ever have issues with your local dealership, send an email to the main Ford Thailand email address. They speak English and will contact your local dealer to sort out any problems.

For new wheels it is just easier to go to a local wheel supplier. Ford will probably tell you the same.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Gedeon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Hi reverendhtc!
Glad to get a reply!

Electrical issues
I actually had the same electrical problem again earlier this year. Only this time I was out of town for a mountain bike trip. Luckily a friend could help me jump start the car. The battery was replaced after that and the issue has not occurred since then.
I'll tell the mechanic to check the cables if it ever happens again!

Accident
How bad was your car damaged in the accident?
Mine was hit the same way as well a few weeks after my initial post. A Honda Jazz could not stop in time and hit the back of my car. Broken bumper and park sensors, bent deck lid + scratches:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
I had to leave the car at Ford (Sukhumvit 62) for 3 weeks to get it fixed. I also mentioned the grinding noise and they said they would investigate.
When I picked up the car, I was quite pissed to see it had done 1000 km while there! That's more than I would have driven it over the same period of time!
That was supposedly due to testing to detect the problems I mentioned. Oh, and what did they do about the issue? Nothing. They just acknowledged it.
Since then I installed a dash cam and I will probably leave a mobile phone with a GPS tracker running in the glovebox next time my car is there. I don't trust them anymore.

Front suspension noise
I do have some noise as well. On small bumps, it sometimes sounds like something relatively heavy is loose and knocking in the wheel area. If it was my only issue, I would mention it to Ford. But I'd rather get everything else sorted out first.

Recall
A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Ford telling me they were extending my clutch warranty and would service it for free if I was experiencing rough gear changes under light acceleration. I will definitely take the car in to get it checked and fixed. Have you received that as well? I suspect it's a Thailand-wide recall.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I wish I had contacted Ford Thailand about the dealership issues. It's been such a long time, I doubt they would do anything about it now.

Have a nice day!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Gedeon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
New issue this morning on my way to work:
Under acceleration, usually above 4000 rpm and a couple of seconds after downshifting, RPM randomly drops to about 2000 and all power disappears.
It happened right as I was doing a U-turn and cars were coming quite fast (and definitely not expecting my car to almost stop in the middle of the fast lane).

I will take the car to a dealership to get it inspected if it still does it this evening.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
reverendhtc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104928
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Sport+

Points 32, Level 1
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 reverendhtc Good Standing Member
I've attached a couple of pictures of the damage to my car. Looks similar to your damage. Same things bromen. The car was in the shop for about a week. The repair isn't perfect but I can live with it. I was on my way back from Bangkok, stopped at traffic lights just north of Surat Thani and a minivan slid into the back of me. I had only had the car 2 months. You can see it still had the red number plates. Sounds really dodgy that they put 1000km on your car. Sounds like they took it out for a joy ride ... not good. Good idea to fit the camera. The grinding noise is apparently due to noisy dual clutch. I hear there is a revised part but I am not sure it fixes the issue. I haven't received a letter about the extended warranty but I have recently move house and haven't told Ford my new address. I'll get onto that. Thanks for letting me know.

I do know that the extended warranty is for leaking gearbox output shaft seal that causes oil to get onto the clutch plates and causes slip and clutch judder.

I may look further into the suspension noise. There is a TSB to grease the shock struts as they can rub against the bump stops. I don't expect my dealer will know about the TSB so i might try greasing the shocks myself.

Apparently the electrical problem is due to an earth wire fixing. The dealer had to remove it and improve the earth contact with chassis. Originally they thought it was an ecu issue but it turned out to be much simpler.

Good talking to you and good luck with the problem. Hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromFF Mobile1417058975665.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	83346

Name:	uploadfromFF Mobile1417058975665.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	83346
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromFF Mobile1417059003364.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	83354  

Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Gedeon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Wow, the damage looks surprisingly similar!

I'll post updates here as soon as I know what's going on with my car.

Keep me posted about your fixes/updates!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Gedeon
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Apparently, my latest problem is likely due to bad quality gas.
Related thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506010

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.