how to get best drag launch?? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
fallacious_focus
This Rabbit is slow

Fan#: 18493
What I Drive: 2008 VW Rabbit S

FF Reputation: 20 fallacious_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott_SVT
I'm running drag radials now, but when I first installed the drag radials, my 60's still sucked. I had the best of 2.334(one time, all others above 2.400) before switching to the e-brake method.

On street radials, same thing with even worse times 2.6-2.4 with no e-brake, consistant 2.4-2.3 with e-brake.

It's a driving style, and like a lot of driving styles, you gotta pick the one that works for you. It may be that you do much better your way, and I do better mine. But give the guy his options, cause he may respond better to yours, or he may find my way easier.
those 60' times are still high...what kind of street tires are you running on? my all-season pirellis could hook up well enough to still pull me a 2.4 on my first time out. i should be able to get lower my next time out cause i have learned a lot since then.

Sarcasm? Never heard of it.
Playing the devils advocate, just to piss you off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Scott_SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21836
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black w/Blue int SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Scott_SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I know they are still high, Orlando Speed World has a horrible surface, most guys suffer from traction woes here. Plus I usually go on Wed nights, and they use less VHT then. That plus I probably still could have gotten them down a little, over time with practice.

This past Sunday, the track actually started shredding, asphault was flying from peoples tires into the people stuck on the back wall (my buddy was there, cause he blew his motor, said he was getting peppered with chunks)
SVT SQUAD #8
Hurray!! a Squad! how umm... stupid....
Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
mindslide9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28299
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mindslide9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
tire size is 205/60/15 they are grippy tires, the clutch will engage even if i give it no gas at all. I can creep it forward without giving nay gas at all is what I mean. Do you mean the engage point when I am revving around 2 gs? I jsut find this clutch is either engaged or not, it how it seems work lol. I can spin my tires for a really long time, like all the way up through first no problem, until about 5.5k when it'll hook up. Does this help?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #14
Scott_SVT
Focus Addict

with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, the car will creep forward? that's not good if so.
SVT SQUAD #8
Old 04-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #15
FocusInAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
I've cut 2.29 60' times with BFG G-Force sports. I think the track has good traction, and is at a low altitude. I haven't heard of using the e-brake as a method for launch of a manual trans car, and fail to see what is gained. If there wasn't the series of yellows before the green, I could see where the shorter movement off of the clutch might pick up a fraction, but with the "count-down" this isn't a factor. I've cut .01 lights without the e-brake and it's associated clutch wear.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #16
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9775
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 kenpokid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott_SVT
I'm running drag radials now, but when I first installed the drag radials, my 60's still sucked. I had the best of 2.334(one time, all others above 2.400) before switching to the e-brake method.

On street radials, same thing with even worse times 2.6-2.4 with no e-brake, consistant 2.4-2.3 with e-brake.

It's a driving style, and like a lot of driving styles, you gotta pick the one that works for you. It may be that you do much better your way, and I do better mine. But give the guy his options, cause he may respond better to yours, or he may find my way easier.
so you dropped almost 4/10ths with the drag radials and e-brake method? That makes more sense.

And I know the street radials don't have the same sidewall as a drag radial...they are stiffer, but I don't drop mine down to 20 psi...I would go to about 25-27.

I will try the e-brake method tonite.

Last edited by kenpokid; 04-05-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #17
ozan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29069
What I Drive: 2006 ink blue Mondeo TDCI

FF Reputation: 5 ozan Good Standing Member
as i know there is a full brake switch instead of using hand brake... you can switch between fully braking of 4 wheels and releasing all.. this is the professional usage of hand brake technique...

Scott_SVT : have u ever had an issue while launching with handbrake? have ur gear ever shifted back to neutral from 1st gear?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Scott_SVT
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ozan
Scott_SVT : have u ever had an issue while launching with handbrake? have ur gear ever shifted back to neutral from 1st gear?

Nope, never had any issues.

Kenpokid, post up some times tomorrow!
SVT SQUAD #8
Old 04-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9775
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 kenpokid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
lol...sadly, I didnt use the e-brake method. Just ended up pullin up and dumpin the clutch off my 2-step at 4 grand with "dry-hopped" heated tires at 25 psi. Hooked a little bit until about 4500 RPM and I started to spin. Shifted to second at 6 grand, clutch slipped, tires barked...ended up getting my personal best - 15.65@88.01 mph. Had a 2.320 60' because of my clutch slipping most likely and slight wheel spin. My 1/8th mile was a 10.07@70mph. I got 3 runs in, and stayed in the 15.6X range, so I am happy. I ran another time which was slightly faster, 15.646@87.58. I like my other mph better though

Basically, the only reason why I didn't do the e-brake method is because my clutch is the stock clutch 53,000+ miles on it, and it is already slipping, and slow to engage, so I did not want to risk burning it out in one night. Once, I get a new clutch and some drag radials, my times will drastically go down. I have a feeling my car will do low 15s.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #20
FocusInAlaska
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18038
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Comp. Orange SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 FocusInAlaska Good Standing Member
Congrats,

You dropped over a .10th from your October time. Once you get consistant, those .10ths are harder and harder to get.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->