oil change question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #1
Bolan
Banned

Fan#: 2552
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Bolan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
oil change question

its recomended to change it after 3000 miles but in owners manual is written to change oil and filter every 5000 miles. I used to live in Europe where people change oil every 6500 miles (gasoline engines not diesels) When I came to America I thought it is a joke to change oil every 3000 miles that is why i ask this question. What is more famous european technician told (on a radio) that change oil every 3000 miles is not necessery and people can change oil every 5000 miles. Please help me I am really confused (info about changing oil in owners manual i have found on www.myfordfocus.com)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2004, 12:59 AM   #2
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
unless you tow or drive in very dusty areas, or race your engine, or sit idleing alot, 5000 miles is acceptable for oil changes. alot of people change it at 3000 for "insurance" But my issue with that is that every time you change the filter, you go thru a few seconds of no oil to the engine while the filter fills up. To me that is adding more wear to the engine. modern oil is much better than it used to be, and the motorcraft 5w-20 is semi synthetic which should have a better life than regular dino oils. plus modern engines being fuel injected are much more efficiant that carborated engines, so no extra fuel at any time is introduced to the cylinders to blow by the rings and contaminate the oil. I think that if Ford thought that the life of there engines would benifit from earlier oil changes, they would recommend it.
ST crew #18
Old 02-29-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
liquid01
Focus Addict

Fan#: 252
What I Drive: ZX3 S2 modded--Just a touch

FF Reputation: 3 liquid01 Good Standing Member
This is a very good ?...Only a few people can answer this with dignity...Although they work for the companies that make the oils we may never know!!!!!!!!So here in the states as a rule of thumb most people change oil every 3-k---As most gear heads will tell you,,Run as long as you like but keep an eye on the dipper cuz it does change color....I prefer to channge the oil as needed....Most highway miles don`t look bad for great miles....BUT..Racing and hard driving will change the oils alot faster...Look at the dipper and learn..If you do any major work on the motor you should change the oil then also---
Old 02-29-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
Bolan
Banned

damn u really fast guys thanks for answers
Old 02-29-2004, 03:29 AM   #5
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
It is common for some synthetic oil brands to advertise changing in longer intervals, like around 7000 miles.

I have always used 5W20 and change it at or around 3500 miles. its cheap insurance for a long engine life.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:33 AM   #6
ExHondaMan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 3933
What I Drive: 2005 Black Cobalt SS

FF Reputation: 1 ExHondaMan Good Standing Member
I work for Benz and we do oil changes every 10-14k on Filter and Mobile 1.... Now whether that right or wrong... or whether it could be done safely with a Focus... I dont know.. just stating information...
Old 02-29-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
Bolan
Banned

thank you all for help
Old 02-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
had one
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2516
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 had one Good Standing Member
The manual for the Svt calls for 30 weight not 20. The demands of the Svt are too great for 30 weight oil. As for insurance. Who here gives there car insurance company extra money for just for extra insurance? If you change oil at 3000 miles you are just giving extra money to the oil companys for nothing. Check out this sight and read the information and make your own opinions as to when to change your oil and which brand is best.

www.krsynlube.com
Old 02-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
Bolan
Banned

thanks for help "Had one"
Old 02-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
knightm3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1861
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 knightm3 Good Standing Member
Hmm, this is good info. I'm going to "go by the dipstick" as stated above from now on.

Side note: My old car [1991] had a 7,000 mile change interval!

"Ten-Pointer" body kit, including:
Bambi Fender Relocation Mod
Bambi Bumper Separation Mod
Bambi Foglight Realignment Mod
Deer-sensing, laser-guided beam cannon [sold separately]

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.