Spy Shots of 2007 Focus . . . Ford still too dumb to bring the Euro - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #51
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
As the owner of a focus, and former owner of a Contour, I don't find this surprising in the least. If Ford wants to get back on track, they need to fire all of their employees in North America, hire all new people, and have them report to the folks in Europe. Ford has a better product range, image, and reputation over there. The Contour was, quite possibly one of the greatest cars Ford ever made. Being based on the global CDW27 platform. Unfortunately, instead of working with the european group, Ford felt the need to develop a new generation Taurus as well. Had Ford combined the Taurus and Mondeo projects, Ford wouldn't have spent so many billions of dollars back then ($5 billion on Contour/Mondeo CDW27, $3 billion on Taurus/Sable DN101).

Had Ford brought the new Mondeo over in 2001 when it came out in Europe, it would have been a smash hit. VW/Audi styling, quality, luxury and such, and at a price comparable to a Taurus. Had Ford migrated towards the Mondeo and focus in 2000/2001, it would have been a great hit. Also, had Ford NA's engineers and accountants not felt the need to mess with the european design, the 2000-2001 focus launch wouldn't have been such a fiasco.

The other alternative is this - Ford is intentionally making bread and butter products progressively worse. The 2005 update is a downgrade from the 2000-2004 focus, the current product line is less than stellar. Perhaps Ford is trying to make things worse so they can file bankruptcy and get out of the UAW contracts. By getting the labor costs into a reasonable point, Ford can focus on making better cars. (this is also likely to be GM's tactic as well).

As a disgusted focus owner who has no intentions of buying another Ford, it's kind of fun to watch. Ford could have kept the hybrids in check by bringing the focus tdci to america. A high volume diesel economy car would be great over here. It would also have been nice to have had an alternative to VW when diesel shopping (the golf is a tad small).
MacBook Pro 15"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM   #52
JRODSVT
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
you know Ford stuck there necks out with one car twice and it yielded great results both times. In the 80s Ford made a bold move and brought a vehicle to market the was far from convention of the family sedan. This vehicle was named the Taurus a with a base 4-cylinder, front wheel drive, and european styling. This car saved Fords butt and was a major contender for the family sedan market. It looked nothing like the boxy vehicles that everybody else was producing. Then again in 1995 there was a Major redesign for the Taurus going with a radical Styling change. Although met with many critics on the looks of the vehicle it was obvious that the populace really did not care what critics have to say. the taurus grabbed the mid size car market's #1 selling car rating for the 96 and 97 model years and the Taurus had a high year in 94 selling over 400,000 units. It is too bad Jacques Nasser Decided around 1998 that the Taurus no longer really need up dated and sent for a series of command decisions the effectively crippled the car and even after his departure the overall idea of the Taurus became bland and nobody at Ford gave a damn about it. It is really sad to think that a car whos major complaint was transmission problems and really nothing else was killed. Lets face nobody makes a good automatic Front wheel drive transmission. Even HOndas have been known to fail under warranty.

What I am getting at here is that Ford should risk something again. I for one am ready for something edgy and eye catching to come out of Ford. Mustang has been a success and the Fusion is a great attempt but Ford needs to try harder and gives us car which are more unique and don't look like other vehicles in the line up.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #53
ouikikazz
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by iantm
As the owner of a focus, and former owner of a Contour, I don't find this surprising in the least. If Ford wants to get back on track, they need to fire all of their employees in North America, hire all new people, and have them report to the folks in Europe. Ford has a better product range, image, and reputation over there. The Contour was, quite possibly one of the greatest cars Ford ever made. Being based on the global CDW27 platform. Unfortunately, instead of working with the european group, Ford felt the need to develop a new generation Taurus as well. Had Ford combined the Taurus and Mondeo projects, Ford wouldn't have spent so many billions of dollars back then ($5 billion on Contour/Mondeo CDW27, $3 billion on Taurus/Sable DN101).

Had Ford brought the new Mondeo over in 2001 when it came out in Europe, it would have been a smash hit. VW/Audi styling, quality, luxury and such, and at a price comparable to a Taurus. Had Ford migrated towards the Mondeo and focus in 2000/2001, it would have been a great hit. Also, had Ford NA's engineers and accountants not felt the need to mess with the european design, the 2000-2001 focus launch wouldn't have been such a fiasco.

The other alternative is this - Ford is intentionally making bread and butter products progressively worse. The 2005 update is a downgrade from the 2000-2004 focus, the current product line is less than stellar. Perhaps Ford is trying to make things worse so they can file bankruptcy and get out of the UAW contracts. By getting the labor costs into a reasonable point, Ford can focus on making better cars. (this is also likely to be GM's tactic as well).

As a disgusted focus owner who has no intentions of buying another Ford, it's kind of fun to watch. Ford could have kept the hybrids in check by bringing the focus tdci to america. A high volume diesel economy car would be great over here. It would also have been nice to have had an alternative to VW when diesel shopping (the golf is a tad small).
if you like the european designed cars so much then move to europe...there is a reason why we don't have it, we dont have a market for it...in europe the market appeal is COMPLETELY different, if they brough the Mondeo here who knows it coulda suceeded but it coulda failed too. If you look at the Euro Focus ST and convert the currency to US it'll run us $25k US for it...will u buy it? i know the average consumer will say forget it and go with something else at that price. They have to keep the pricing competitive in the US market hence they couldn't just bring it over here and hope it suceeds cause it'll cost them more for the quality they have over in europe. I will agree with you that they should just stick to a more global design to save on development costs and all but who are we to say they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure there is lots of underlying factors to this whole thing.

And on the hybrid note, the US has a VERY strict Diesel emissions. They can't just simply put a TDCI over here and call it a day, they still need to retweak the whole thing to conform with US regulations, blame the govt, don't blame Ford.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #54
igor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 25921
What I Drive: 2004 Mazda3s Sedan MTX

FF Reputation: 1 igor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
thanks Qukazz.... I didn;t feel llike arguing anymore..

BTW I want to make one more point...

Japanese manufacturers are expected to sell Japanese design.. even if it bears ne resemblance between the hemispheres...
European Manufacturers are also expected to sell European design... usually maintained over the ocean - bust alterred.
But somehow it is a fault of GM and Ford not to bring over "european design" - they are american manufacturers. They see DCX cashing in on it with bold designs. Why the heck are they supposed to design European cars in US.

I agree many of the EUDM prducts are superior to USDM products, but when someone whines that the possible upcoming MkIII Focus will not be European enough.. and they will not buy it because it is not european enough - I want to punh someone... Ford is an American manufacturer.. they sell mostly ro redneck - mullet wearing, or obese bible holding Americans - the fact that some of us would have such preference means nothing.. most people do not know, care of rant Ford to design understated European cars.. they want their American designed cars and trucks.

Ford cannot be European... Mercury on the other hand... well if Ford didn't have the Merkur fiasco to fear, it could be an option.

Igor
Old 03-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #55
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
If some of you have never read the Focus ST thread, and if Ford should bring it here (it's on the Home Page of this site), I think some of you should check it out to read the general responses. Even on this forum, it's been well-established by the members here that the Focus ST does not have a large enough market here.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 03-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #56
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
Here's my take on the play.
Focus 07....another update + more power in a specialty ST model.
08. the new B models enter the line up.
09, the new Focus moves upscale...larger heavier.

then finally, a full product line.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #57
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
ITS THE FUSION FRONT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #58
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
I think that was established on the first page. Did you bother to look?
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 PM   #59
sundaydriver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32477
What I Drive: 2006 red sx4 ses

FF Reputation: 20 sundaydriver Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, here we go again. People whining because they can't have the Euro-focus. You want it? Move to Europe. Ford NA could offer it here and a few of you would buy it, but it wouldn't save the company. If they brought it here they would lose money on it. Besides, we would still have goofy posters talking about how their 2001 hatchback is better than that car too.

When you introduce a new car to a marketplace, you need to consider several factors:

The cost to build and ship it to the dealerships
The demands of the autoworkers union
The impact on your standing with the EPA
The opinion of your dealers (for both that product and other brands you control, if I owned a Mazda dealership, I wouldn't want to see that Focus come to NA)
Your ability to get the parts you need to build it with out taking away from other successful products from your company (if your selling lots of GTs, you don't want to create a product which uses that engine if there is a shortage of them- that's why the shelby has an iron block).

Just stop your crying. If you don't think the 2007 Focus is a good car, don't buy it. I don't think Ford will be upset if you buy a mazda 3- they own the company anyway.

Now Ford will be building all NA focuses in the good ole USA! I think that's a step in the right direction. Your hatchbacks won't come from Mexico anymore.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #60
sundaydriver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32477
What I Drive: 2006 red sx4 ses

FF Reputation: 20 sundaydriver Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
BTW, expensive hatchbacks don't do well here either. How many years has the Jetta outsold the Golf/GTI even though the Golf is a more practical car (and cheaper)? The R32 was awesome, but nobody bought it- no one wanted a 30k hatchback.

If you really care, then pray that the new Dodge SRT4 and Audi 4 do well. If they do, maybe ford will stand up and take notice. In the mean time, they need a compact car that will appease the masses (and, sadly, rental fleets) to keep the EPA at bay while they sell big 'ole pickups to my cousins. Ford is fighting like hell to keep their share of that market secure (nissan and toyota have their sights fixed on it).
Personally, i think they should bring it here and offer some crappy rebadged korean subcompact to balance things out. I just don't think that would sit well with the union.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->