Ebay short throw shifter install guide - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
netdrgoon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26752
What I Drive: 2005 Focus Zx3 se D20 M5 - blazing

FF Reputation: 2 netdrgoon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ebay short throw shifter install guide

Yes, I know. Most people don't wanna talk about it, but it does exist. The 2002.5+ ebay short throw shifter. So, for those of us that have it or are thinking about it. I did a little write up. Actually, I did the write up a while back, but it seems to be popular, so I figure I should share it with the forum at large.

Please move to where it should be for use in the how to listing!

THX

Scott

Ebay short throw shifter install guide:

The first part of the shifter install begins with removing the center console. First look at your shifter boot. You can remove it by simply popping it out of the console. It will still be attached to the shifter. Remove the shift knob by rotating it counter clockwise. Now, invert the shifter boot. At the very base where it attaches to the shifter lever, there is a zip tie. You can probably barely see it. This is what attaches the boot to the lever. Carefully cut this zip tie,
without damaging the boot. You will need another zip tie upon reassembly. Now remove the boot.

Now, the top cargo compartment of the console will have to come off. There is a plastic piece on the back of the top of the console that snaps off. Pull it off, and remove the two screws that hold the cargo compartment. Remove the cargo compartment.

In the front of the console (under cup holders) there are two screws. Remove these screws. On the rear of the console, there is a plastic tab. Remove it with a fine screw driver by sticking the screw driver in the gap and twisting it. One way will make it come right out, the other will make it tear up the plastic. I can't remember which way, but you will see, just don't get too western with it.

Under the tab is a screw. Take the screw out.

Now you need to remove the e-brake boot. You can lift the console up now and pop it out from underneath. Slide it off the e-brake, and remove the console. You may have to slide the front seats around to get proper clearances.

You now see the naked shifter. At the front of the shifter are little mounts the shift cables are held in. You can rotate the orange parts of the mounts, and they will pop out of their bases, freeing shifter cables. Now pop the shifter cables off the shifter.

There are four bolts holding the shifter base to the floor. Remove them. The shifter assembly removal is now complete.

Now, pay attention to the way you short throw shifter is assembled, cause now you are going to take it apart! You will notice that the basic design of the shifter is the same, just a little different parts. Some parts of the disassembly will need a hex key, some parts will need a screwdriver, and the hardest part will need something to knock the pin that holds the top part of the shifter onto the rod. Just remove all of it from the rod.

Now that is is apart, put the rod through the hard plastic piece. Reassemble the shifter the same way you took it apart. You will notice that the top side of the hard plastic piece through which the rod is now through has a raised notch on the bottom right (if it were installed in the car) corner. This is the reverse lockout. As you can see, the block on the bottom of the shifter will hit the notch, thus stopping it from actually engaging reverse.

The reverse lockout on the top of shifter actually raises the block, allowing it to pass over the notch, and into reverse.

Okay, now that you have the reverse lockout stuff on the shifter rod, with the rod through the hard plastic piece and the ball (and shorter rod) on the bottom side of the hard plastic piece, install the delicate plastic piece that fits around the ball. If it is broken, just hold it together until you can get it into the bottom hard plastic piece (it will only fit one way, so make sure it isn't upside down!). With the ball in the lower hard plastic piece, you will need that the small bottom rod fits into a linkage, just as the stock shifter did. Put it where it goes, and then rescrew/bolt the top hard plastic piece back down. The shifter should now be reinstalled into the base of the shifter, and ready for reinstallation into the car.

At this point, you will want to take out the metal bushings that may have been included with the shifter. These are designed to go under the shifter (around the bolts that hold it to the floor board) and replace the rubber ones that are already there. This is supposed to make it even firmer shifting. I haven't installed mine yet because the instructions didn't mention that this is what they were for. You can use the stock bushings if you want. I didn't install them, and I'll explain why in a few lines.

Now, rebolt the shifter to the floor board. Don't tighten too much. Tighten good, then about another 1/4 turn. I don't have the proper torque numbers. Lube the mount points for the shifter cables. Hook up the cables.

Be sure to rotate the plastic orange snap things and put the shifter cables back where you found them.

Try the shifter out. Make sure it works before you put the console back on.

Okay, now install everything the way you took it out, just in reverse order.

Now, at the shifter boot, this is why I didn't install the thick metal bushings. I had clearance issues anyway! On the front of the shifter boot bezel, pull back the vinyl. Now, on the bottom part of the plastic that hangs down in the front, trim it up to the top. Just the bottom part, don't damage the upper part of the bezel where the boot will snap back it. Leave it structurally intact.

You trim the plastic here to give your shifter cables more clearance. This will make it easier to shift.

Before you snap the boot in, note how the shifter goes into 5th gear. You may see that the bottom block (for the reverse lockout) kind of rubs or hangs on the plastic reverse lockout obstacle on the base of the shifter. You can correct this by trimming the front side of the plastic obstacle with a raze a few millimeters. Don't remove fromt the height, just from the front side for clearance. This is very important, cause otherwise you might not like going into 5th gear!

Put the boot back in.

Okay, we have everything installed. Now, try it out, make sure it works right. You will notice that the sideways motion is also shorter, so you won't have to move over as far either.

The last thing is the shift knob. I found that the knob provided is the best one to use. It has better throwing heft than the stocker, and it fits the new reverse lockout mechanism better (the stock one doesn't have a deep enough recess for the new reverse lockout thing to A) look right or B) fit correctly. Just be sure to try out shift knobs for proper clearance before driving off with them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #2
netdrgoon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26752
What I Drive: 2005 Focus Zx3 se D20 M5 - blazing

FF Reputation: 2 netdrgoon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Can a mod figure out the proper place for this and move/sticky accordingly?
Old 03-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
elliottcarlose
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11597
What I Drive: 2000 Green ZX3, 2003 CBR 954 and now a 06 C-dan

FF Reputation: 1 elliottcarlose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well at least it is thorough

Sounds =2-12 Fosgate PS1, 1 Fosgate 5002 500watts RMS, 4 Fosgate door speakers, 1 Pioneer in dash dvd/monitor

GO 4-2-1 race header, complete cat back, SRI, and svt suspension
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
Jose Madre
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95441
What I Drive: 2003 Metalic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jose Madre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have an 03 zx3 and it has the short throw in it. I bought it not running. Well I got it going and the gears art a bit reversed. They are layed out like this

2 4 R
l l l
1 3 5

Is it possible that the person who installed the shifter could of botched it and messed up the gears. If so what do I look for and how do I fix it.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,948, Level 66
Points: 9,948, Level: 66 Points: 9,948, Level: 66 Points: 9,948, Level: 66
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Shucks, "messing it up" that way is HARD to do...

The "gears" aren't messed up, but somehow the cable that moves in the "front to back" shift is reversed....

Probably at the transmission end, because I can't see how to do it backwards at the shifter end.... And the tranny end wouldn't be easy to "mess up" either....

When you look at things, you'll see that there is one cable for left to right, attached to ONE lever on the transmission, and another for front to back, attached to the other transmission lever....

Trying to think this through, the only thing that makes sense & would actually bolt together is if the prev. owner reversed the cables... but I haven't figured out how that would give you the shift pattern you have.... It's SO "bass ackwards" it's hard to visualize....

Try switching them at the shifter & see what happens - that's PROBABLY where the error occurred.... Since I can't see how he would have been able to hook one up backwards at the transmission....

Luck!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,083, Level 85
Points: 18,083, Level: 85 Points: 18,083, Level: 85 Points: 18,083, Level: 85
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Wrong shifter.

you should have the '02.5+ and they used the older shifter.

On the old style,
to get 1,3,5 the cable would be pulled.
On the new style,
to get 1,3,5 the cable would be pushed.

SO it's simply the wrong shifter ... typical ebay fashion.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,948, Level 66
Points: 9,948, Level: 66 Points: 9,948, Level: 66 Points: 9,948, Level: 66
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
HAH!

That's REALLY "mucked up"....

To mess up such a simple system takes REAL skill....

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how reversing cables would get that result....

it was the only "screw up" in assembly i could think of!

Moving the pick up point fort the cable lower on the shaft is the easiest "short shift" mod., other than just cutting the shaft down....

I LIKE my knob where it is, so I ain't changing it.....

(HeHe)

(grin)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.