Fitting an aftermarket stereo - brackets? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
dilapper
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 33446
What I Drive: 2001 Focus Zetec 1.8

FF Reputation: 1 dilapper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fitting an aftermarket stereo - brackets?

Hi,

firstly, i notice from the front page that alot of y'all appear to be raising fairly complex questions, and so my problem will likely be rediculously simple and make you wonder why i have to ask. Bear with me, im new to this :)

Ok, so i bought myself a focus on monday. Wanted one for a couple of years now and since leaving uni last year i've now worked up enough cash to get myself one. however, it was a used car so i had little choice over the stereo that came with it, and as such i'm left with a Ford stock cassette one (i mean really... who still uses cassettes? :D)

I've fitted car stereos before but only in single din cars. This focus is, i beleive, a 1.8 din, so i purchased a fascia from ebay to block the gap.

I also picked up the required wiring adaptor to fit my new alpine stereo.

Ok, so thats my kit. Heres my question...

How should this be secured in the gap? I need to fit the stereo in the top half of the gap in order to fit the fascia around it. but, by the look of it, there is no way to secure the din cage in place that my stereo slides into, aside from wedging it in the top - and it doesnt seem very secure when i do this.

Is it a simple case of wedging the cage in, bending the clips out, and fixing the rear support bracket? Is this enough to hold a stereo securely? If thats the case, i'll give it another try this evening (i was trying last night in the dark so had little success).

Or, do i need some other clip/bracket/din cage to fit a single din stereo in a 1.8 din gap?

I hope that makes sense. Apologies - i bet this kind of thing gets asked a lot and i read through the FAQ at the top but it seemed to skip swiftly over the section of installation im stuck on :D

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Djmike2485

Fan#: 3230
What I Drive: Silver 2000 Ford Focus Zetec 4 Dr.

FF Reputation: 6 Djmike2485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
in my fascia kit came a plastic bracket that bolts to the back of the new radio. this bracket takes the place of the opaque plastic thing on the back of the stock unit. after you have made numerous adjustments to get the right height, the bracket slides into another piece at the rear of the cavity. if your kit doesn't include this piece, you might a) go buy a plastic bracket thing or b) take the one off the stock radio and somehow attach it to the new unit. good luck
Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 AM   #3
dilapper
Focus Rookie

Aye, I've got one of those bits.

Its the cage at the front i'm more concerned about. Should it just sit in the gap, with the fascia to support it, or should the cage and stereo be able to support itself without the fascia in?

My understanding was that the fascia was simply there to fill the gap, and that the cage should hold the front of the stereo in place whether the facia is there or not. Or is that not the case?

My concern is that if the cage isnt secure at the front before i put the fascia on, the unit may slide forwards/backwards or rattle around when the car is in motion. Or will this not be the case?

Thanks again chaps!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
dilapper
Focus Rookie

I guess my problem is that i see nothing for the cage clips to hold on to.

If the cage is not secured in the gap, is it safe to put my stereo in there and rely upon the fascia and the rear support to hold it up?

I'm looking at 60 to have a local place install it for me, which id rather avoid if possible >.<
Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
DetroitBass
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23602
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 DetroitBass Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Just slide the cage in, then bend up the appropriate tabs. Yes, that is more then enough to hold the CD player in, actually. The rear support isn't even necessary in the Focus. Just put the cage into the kit, bend up two tabs on top and two tabson bottom, then slide the unit in.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If all else fail's, get a Metra fit-kit, P/N 99-5806. That will get the job done right.
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #7
dilapper
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitBass
Just slide the cage in, then bend up the appropriate tabs. Yes, that is more then enough to hold the CD player in, actually. The rear support isn't even necessary in the Focus. Just put the cage into the kit, bend up two tabs on top and two tabson bottom, then slide the unit in.
Well the problem im having is that is a single DIN cage in a 1.8 DIN gap - and theres nothing for these clips to bend 'into' or around. So they just bend out into air. So let go of the cage, and it drops to the bottom of the gap.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Ill maybe cut my losses - ditch the kit i already have and buy one of these metra ones.

Last edited by dilapper; 03-24-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
dilapper
Focus Rookie

I may have overlooked this in one of the FAQs, but Metra 99-5806's are branded as Autoleads FP-07-08 in the UK.

I was wondering why i couldnt find one on any UK sites, so went down to a local Car Audio shop, picked up an Autoleads kit, and lo and behold when i turned it around it had 'Metra 5806' engraved on the back.

Smashing stuff. Looks much better than the other kit i'd bought so hopefully this one will do the job. Ill test tonight.

Thanks for all the help :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->