Fog light Mod??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-26-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
DilSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1793
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 DilSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Fog light Mod???

I used to own a SVT Contour and this is how to do the fog light mod with out touiching the fusebox, but is this same configuration work on the SVT Focus, I just bought. If so, what are the colored wires that correspond to the ones on the SVT Contour. I figure it would work because the light switch is the same.

Under the dash, remove the trim panel directly below the steering wheel. There are 3 trim plugs on the top. Remove these and then remove all 5 bolts (7 mm) holding on the trim panel. Remove the trim panel (careful when dropping the panel...the light is attached to the panel), twist the light socket away from the panel and set panel aside.

Look under the dash, behind the Headlight switch. You will see a small white relay. The easiest way to make SURE that this is the relay is to put you hand on the relay and cycle the fogs a few times. You should feel the relay "clicking". Pull the relay away from its mounting bracket and pull it down so its easy to work on.

There are four wires on the relay:
A. Orange/Black - ALWAYS +12 volts
B. Orange/Yellow - +12 when fog lights are ON
C. Black/Red - GROUND when fog light switch is turned on
D. Orange - +12 when headlights are ON

What we want to do is to fool the relay into thinking that the headlights are on, thus allowing the use of the fogs. Cut the ORANGE wire (leaving about 3 inches sticking out of the relay). Insulate the end of the ORANGE wire leading to the switch. It is no longer needed.

Splice the end of the ORANGE coming out of the relay into the ORANGE/BLACK (either with a 3M splice connector, or strip a little insulation away, wrap the wires, and solder).

Insulate your splice well, and TEST THE FOGS!! The first time I did this, I didn't test, put everything back, then had to rip it apart again. TEST THEM!! If they work, put the relay back up there, and replace the panel under the dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hmm, this seems like a lot more work than going to the fusebox. The Focus foglight mod that everyone here knows about is just removing a relay in the fusebox and jumpering two of the connections. That seems easier, why not do it that way? Is there some particular reason why you don't want to mess with the fusebox? The fusebox relay-pulling method also allows you to reverse the mod should you ever want or need to by simply pulling the jumper wire and reinstalling the relay.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
DilSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1793
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 DilSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well the only reason is I can make sure I do it right. Wires are easy and also easily replaced. When I bring it into a dealer the crossed wires will never be seen and I don't like the idea of a loose wire in the fusebox. Plus, I don't like what ford would say if they saw that if I ever blew a fuse. I had problems with Ford about a breather on the head on the intake of my old SVT Contour. They almost refused my lemon because of it. They said it lead to engine failure but I don't see how that breather could cause a piston to fail, crack in half and fall into the oil pan, bend the crank, and put the connecting rod through the block.
AEM CAI, FC 65mm TB, FS UDP, SCT by FS, Kent Cam Gear, MBRP, SD and Firewire, FC STS, All VF Mounts, CFM Silicone Couplers, Gear Balance Delete, NE ORP, EBC Green Stuff, FS Front - Rear Stress Bars, KW Springs
Old 02-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well I see where you're coming from concerning the dealer - but I can tell you that the wire isn't loose on mine, it fits just as tight and snug as any factory connection, and if I want to I can yank it and put back in the relay when I go to the dealer. I've never been on the underside of the dashboard so I can't help you with your way of doing it - maybe you should be the guinea pig.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->