Review of H&R 24mm Anti-Roll Bars and a few other things - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #11
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
^^So far, I'm seeing better grip from the inside tire on corner exit, not less. With less side to side weight transfer, I'm keeping more weight on the inside tire. I also disagree with your thinking that I'll be spining helplessly on a track.

If I was building a track only car, I would be looking at stiffer springs and dampners. In autocross, your dealing with parking lot surfaces which can be less than optimal and uneven. Not to mention I have to drive this car every day.

Again, taken to an extreme with too much sway bar up front, I would be lifting the inside tire. I'm not there yet. I'm not lifting the inside tire with this bar like you think I am.

It is not a hard and fast rule that a larger sway bar = lifting inside tire. Too much sway bar = lifting inside tire.

If you think the GRM article was useless, I'm sorry to hear that. There's a lot of good information in there.

Last edited by DirtyDeeds; 03-19-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Again, taken to an extreme with too much sway bar up front, I would be lifting the inside tire. I'm not there yet. I'm not lifting the inside tire with this bar like you think I am.
Don't take this as an insult, but if you are not lifting your inside front your're not driving near the limit.

Again, like I initially said, this should be a nice setup for the street. It's not what you want for the track. Most people upgrade to the smaller spi front bar.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BadIdea
Don't take this as an insult, but if you are not lifting your inside front your're not driving near the limit.

Again, like I initially said, this should be a nice setup for the street. It's not what you want for the track. Most people upgrade to the smaller spi front bar.
I won't take it as an insult, but please understand this...you aren't here and have no real idea of how I'm driving or how my car is behaving. I've been doing this for over 20 years and I know when I'm driving a car at the limit. Quite frankly, you're over stating your position about something you have no hands on experience with (I'm referring to my car). And please don't take that as an insult.

As I said before, this is not meant to be a track only setup, but it's not as flawed as you would like to make it out to be.

Let us simply agree to disagree.

Last edited by DirtyDeeds; 03-20-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Why would you want to lift the inside front? That means less traction on the inside wheel and more work for the outer wheel. The idea of a stiffer roll bar is to reduce body roll and lift as well as make the inside wheel more effective. While I don't think the front of the car has such a problem as the rear (on the Focus), there still would be little use for lifting the inside front wheel (nor should the bar contribute to that).
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #15
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Nice little write up, im planning on getting the rear H&R sway bar here soon.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 03-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #16
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ilcowil
Why would you want to lift the inside front? That means less traction on the inside wheel and more work for the outer wheel. The idea of a stiffer roll bar is to reduce body roll and lift as well as make the inside wheel more effective. While I don't think the front of the car has such a problem as the rear (on the Focus), there still would be little use for lifting the inside front wheel (nor should the bar contribute to that).
I'm not trying to lift the inside front tire and I'm not. Contrary to what BadIdea is saying, my setup is not lifting the inside front tire.

However, BadIdea is right when he says that a combination of a very stiff sway bar and soft springs can cause the front inside wheel to lift in turns. It's a case of too much of a good thing can be bad and I think we all agree this is bad.

Last edited by DirtyDeeds; 03-20-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #17
Oni
Oh yeah!

I was asking BadIdea. I didn't think I took that long to write before another post showed up, but I did.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 03-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #18
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ilcowil
I was asking BadIdea. I didn't think I took that long to write before another post showed up, but I did.
Sorry, I jumped the gun on that one.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #19
Oni
Oh yeah!

No problem, I'm here to learn as well.

Here's a short explanation of the stabilizer bars from someone other than GCM.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

And I think this might be a good candidate for a link in the suspension thread.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #20
SuperFocus77
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52408
What I Drive: 2004 IR Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SuperFocus77 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
On a seperate note and no offense to anybody, you should have bought a German car then. Hell ya, they cost 20 Gs more. Imagine what u could do 20 Gs on a Focus SVT. It will rip many German cars if tuned properly. Please respect the car you drive. You insulted Ford cars. Not appreciated.

Bookmarks & Social Networks