Diesels in America - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
KahunaB14
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13831
What I Drive: 2008 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 1 KahunaB14 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Diesels in America

I know this is off the topic of focus's but anyway...anyone wonder why there arent more diesels in this country. Especially mid/small trucks or SUV's with a diesel engine. With gas prices the way they are these days I personally want a diesel.

Benefits: You get V8 torque and 4 cyl gas mileage

They last for twice as long as gasoline engines

With the new technology these days I dont see the drawbacks...feel free to chime in!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
At least here in Washington state, they tax the hell out of diesel fuel because they think it is evil. Government is the biggest drawback for diesel. I personally would love to see lots more diesel sold.
ST crew #18
Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
There's still a public perception of diesels as noisy, slow, smoky junkers that take 2 minutes to get to 60 mph... of course that's not necessarily true anymore, but that was true during the last "hurrah" of diesel here, in the late '70s and early '80s. That's going to be a difficult hurdle to surmount. Also, around here anyway, diesel is considerably more expensive per gallon than gasoline. I suspect fuel costs would have to get quite high before people would begin to re-examine the diesel and its higher miles per gallon. As it is, with gas cheaper and more readily available, I don't see too many people interested in diesel except the enviro-friendly hippies and the hardcore commuters.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Also, some states don't permit diesels to be sold. New York, for example, is one place that you can't buy a new diesel. As for performance, economy, and such, I'd say that they do well. My boss has an 02 Golf TDI. I've had the pleasure of driving it a few times. Drives nicely, gets insane fuel economy, and is light years ahead of the focus in terms of perceived quality. (tactile things, materials, etc.) My boss has two offices, one in Philly, and the other Pittsburgh. He says that he spends more money on tolls than he does on gas. He claims to get a full round trip from Philly to Pittsburgh out of one tank. (approx. 700 miles) Though, it's also been said to avoid mexican built vw's. Avoid any with a VIN starting with 3VW (hecho en Mexico, like my ZX3) , and insist one with a VIN starting with WVW (made in Germany).
MacBook Pro 15"
Old 03-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
The biggest reason more diesel technology is here right now, aside from aformentioned public opinion bias based on crappy engines decades ago, is that we get high-sulfur diesel from South America. In Europe, where diesels are the majority and there's a ton of great diesel technology (great Ford diesels too), the diesel fuel is much cleaner and our fuel would clog and kill those engines in short order. Too tough to re-engineer for America.

However, there are new Diesel regulations coming in 2007 that will hopefully allow that technology to come here to the states. Yipee!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
I have to say I HATE being around deisel vehicles in stop-and-go traffic because of the smell!! I am a windows down kinda guy and that smell is nauseating. Perhaps it is due to the high sulfur content of the fuel and perhaps with cleaner fuel it wouldn't be so bad. I have to say I think it is amazing that a deisel engine can run on cooking oil!!
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by azdamay
There's still a public perception of diesels as noisy, slow, smoky junkers that take 2 minutes to get to 60 mph... of course that's not necessarily true anymore, but that was true during the last "hurrah" of diesel here, in the late '70s and early '80s. That's going to be a difficult hurdle to surmount. Also, around here anyway, diesel is considerably more expensive per gallon than gasoline. I suspect fuel costs would have to get quite high before people would begin to re-examine the diesel and its higher miles per gallon. As it is, with gas cheaper and more readily available, I don't see too many people interested in diesel except the enviro-friendly hippies and the hardcore commuters.
I don't think this is much of a problem anymore. Look how well VW is selling them.

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Maine is one of those states where you can't buy a new diesel also. I dont think we'll see much change until sometime after we get the euro-spec fuel, I guess the Green states' deal is the emissions.

If there was a marketing push for it, I could see deisel starting to come back into favor a little, maybe. In our arena though, diesel fuel cost would be a big pill to swallow; better efficiency makes that close to a wash with regular burning petrol engines. I read an article some time ago about diesel use across europe, in most places the ratio of diesel-to-petrol cars roughly mirrors the cost ratio between the fuels. In the UK where diesel is only slightly cheaper, diesel cars are similarly only slightly more prevelant than petrol burners.

The engineering student in me likes diesel just fine; the car enthusiast likes it only after its faster, cheaper and gets better mileage. Oh, and it has to start when its -10*F.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #9
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Europe has a diesel version of the Opel Speedster. And the new Audi R10 is a diesel.

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
EVO magazine, my favorite auto publication and one that is only concerned with fun cars, often picks diesel versions over petrol versions. For instance, they say that the BMW 330D is a better choice, even for the enthusiast, than a petrol 330I

60% of Executive style cars (S class, 7 series, etc.) sold new over there are diesel. The huge torque suits their driving style and needs quite well.

From my math, the diesel price difference and effeciency still comes out quite in favor of the diesel. Not to mention a big rise in the number of diesel vehicles on the road could bring diesel prices down...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Bookmarks & Social Networks