how to get svt performance out of a zetec? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
chad_p71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22773
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 chad_p71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question how to get svt performance out of a zetec?

I have a 2000 zx3. I have read a little bit about the SVT motor, I know there are allot of differences but Im not sure what they are exacty, I know its loosely based on the zetec motor, i know it has 170hp compared to my crappy 130hp. I did a search and didnt come up with anything, I would appreciate it if someone could shoot me a link about the SVT focus motor.

So I was wondering how would I be able to get SVT performance out of my zetec motor? New cams, ported head (maybe bigger valves??), timing and a good exhaust system, would that do it?

I know about cold air kits, and underdrive pulleys, tuneable cam gears, forced induction blah, blah, blah. That stuff it all nice but the engineers at Ford were able to make 170 horse power with out any of that stuff and I am very curious as to how they did it. They also kept the car driveable with good mileage and also reliable at the same time. My goal is to attempt to do the same.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
ford increased the compression on the svt with different pistons, used forged connecting rods to enable to engine to better withstand the higher rpm range, installed oil jets to spray the underside of the piston for piston cooling and cylinder wall lubrication. they used a better flowing cylinder head with variable intake cam timing, a two stage variable runner length intake manifold, and a tuned 4-2-1 exhaust header and more aggressive camshafts. to get svt-like performance (at least as far as hp/tq numbers go), try these mods out...

port/polished and milled head with stage 2 or 3 cams (depends on the manufacturer which stage you'll need)
adjustable cam gears
ported 2000 manifold
65mm throttle body
SVT header kit
catback exhaust
cold air or short ram intake
tune

that ought to get you up in the svt range, maybe a bit higher. I haven't been following the standard zetec buildups very well, but that seems to me the way to go
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
lanting90
Boosted

Fan#: 1901
What I Drive: 2003 Jetta 1.8T

Points 6,436, Level 52
Points: 6,436, Level: 52 Points: 6,436, Level: 52 Points: 6,436, Level: 52
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 lanting90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
u should be able to keep, if not beat a stock svt w/ all those bolt-ons minus teh head/cams..remember, in a drag race, the MTX-75 tranny is quicker than the SVTs Getrag...w/ teh head work+cams, u'll have no problem w/ svts w/ minor mods, and should be in teh mid 14s..
2000 ZTS
2001 ZX3
Old 03-14-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
venomfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 907
What I Drive: A fast 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 venomfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you would kill svts with those mods. i never had a problem even with modded svts.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
dwdgsi03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2298
What I Drive: 2000 Midship Runabout

FF Reputation: 1 dwdgsi03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by venomfocus
you would kill svts with those mods. i never had a problem even with modded svts.

You wouldn't "kill" an SVT with those mods. You'd pull a bit at the most.

Let's not turn this into another one of those pissing contests.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
focus---R
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14996
What I Drive: 2006 silver honda accord sedan

FF Reputation: 1 focus---R Good Standing Member
I know someone with an svt swap and I took him.

2006 honda accord k24, 5spd, all power, LED taillights(factory)
Old 03-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm not sure what lanting90 has for mods (I'm almost positive he doesn't have cams), but I matched up with him. My SVT has a few go-fast goodies. It's probably an unfair comparison because I had winter tires on at the time, but from a stop he clearly had the advantage. Once up to speed, I had the advantage. Nobody was "killing" anybody, but he pulled away quicker off the line and I was pulling when I was in 3rd - perhaps the rear tires that were installed backwards (directional tread) on lantings car helped him on the launch and hurt him at speed (you fix that btw?). It was all done in fun anyways. I know my car isn't the fastest. If I wanted a fun car, I'd find an inexpensive ZX3, gut the interior (remove back seat at least) and do a V8 conversion... probably should have went that route... be about the same price as my SVT with the goodies (what I'm looking at doing at least).

Overall, the SVT engine is good stock and doesn't really respond to aftermarket mods well - tune excluded. The exhaust is pretty good and the only thing I'd swap out is the cat. Those are probably the only power mods needed if you want to stay N/A (well, cams and cam gears would be nice, but they are more difficult to install). I regret not saving my money and getting forced induction right away, but I wanted more power (why else would I be called the Toolman?) and came across some sweet deals on used parts.

Next mod will be a Binford 3000 leaf blower - aka electric supercharger.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
^^^ Oh yeah? Well I'll get the Binford 4000 and my SVTF will put your SVTF to shame.
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
FocusRyderzx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 28657
What I Drive: 03 Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusRyderzx3 Good Standing Member
heres your solution, take your ZX3 to your local ford dealer that has an SVT for sale and just trade it in. Yea the SVT has more horse power the the ZX3, but you really dont need alot to get to SVT numbers, i belive that the SVT has around 120whp (i could be wrong) a buddy of mine has an SVT stock, and i have a ZX3 w/ an CAI, MBRP, and an FS tune. i have 112 WHP and 119WTQ. In a race on the strip he obviously beat me but not by much. so i dont think it takes all that much to have SVT number
Old 03-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
ouikikazz
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by FocusRyderzx3
heres your solution, take your ZX3 to your local ford dealer that has an SVT for sale and just trade it in. Yea the SVT has more horse power the the ZX3, but you really dont need alot to get to SVT numbers, i belive that the SVT has around 120whp (i could be wrong) a buddy of mine has an SVT stock, and i have a ZX3 w/ an CAI, MBRP, and an FS tune. i have 112 WHP and 119WTQ. In a race on the strip he obviously beat me but not by much. so i dont think it takes all that much to have SVT number
svt has approx 145-155whp (it varies from car to car). The wtq numbers i totally forget tho.

Bookmarks & Social Networks