Zetec to Duratec Swap - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
opus1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31828
What I Drive: 2001 Green ZX3-Porsche 912E

FF Reputation: 1 opus1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Zetec to Duratec Swap

Has anyone done the 2.0 Zetec to 2.3 Duratec swap successfully? I know that ‘Benny’ in “Jet” is in the middle of doing one, but still trying to hook up the harness. Almost sound like it’s easier to buy a used 2.3 Focu especially living in Calif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
teddy2heavy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25743
What I Drive: 2005, silver, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 teddy2heavy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i have not heard of anyone doing this

TEAM DURATEC #01
Old 03-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Achilleus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30461
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Achilleus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Of course its easier to buy a used 2.3. Don't even bother with the swap, total waste of time.. if anything swap in a V-8. if u want a 2.3, buy one (sure, it might cost more than swapping a 2.3, but at least you know everything works and fits together the way its supposed to).
Old 03-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
03FOCUZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7146
What I Drive: 2003,infra red,zx3

FF Reputation: 1 03FOCUZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
but that v8 power sounds so tempting
{fs wires,aem cold air, spin tech muffler with 2.5 piping,,kyb adjustables,sprint 2 inch lowering springs , steeda short shifter,FS front and rear strut,Xcal 2 clared cat.many more to come.cant wait to boossst.

{ZETEC crew MEMBER 82}
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally posted by Achilleus
Of course its easier to buy a used 2.3. Don't even bother with the swap, total waste of time.. if anything swap in a V-8. if u want a 2.3, buy one (sure, it might cost more than swapping a 2.3, but at least you know everything works and fits together the way its supposed to).
its funny how everyone says...."oh just swap in a V8". there is so much work involved let alone the cost of it. I believe i saw somewhere FRPP's RS8 had something like $105,000 in it. I know you can do it for far less than that, but still going to be atleast over $10K for a V8 swap. Where as you could swap focus motors relatively easily. Although i do feel it would be a wasted effort to swap a zetec for a duratec. Just get some bolt ons for a zetec and you will make more power than a duratec.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 03-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Find a Duratec that has been hit in the side or the rear. You'll need the whole car to make things easier for a swap. I'm not sure on the motor mounts, but I'd assume the mounts are different- and probably don't bolt up to the old Zetec crossmember either. Also, it would be helpful if you could find a D20 or D23 because the D20E and D23E have an exhaust manifold with a monster catalytic converter in it, and AIR. I'm not sure on the Zetec fuel injection system since I don't have one, but the Duratec has a "new" system that doesn't use a return line. The computer regulates the fuel pressure by adjusting voltage to the pump according to readings from a fuel pressure sensor. If the Zetec is different, then you'll need the fuel pump assembly from the Duratec.

Good luck, swaps aren't impossible, and this one doesn't require a welder like the V8 swap.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
CrikitZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39913
What I Drive: 03' EAP SVT/Roush

FF Reputation: 1 CrikitZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
my 2000 ZX3 engine is getting older and I was wondering about a ST duratec D23 swap as well. They use the same tranny right? is there any other differences we know besides fueling as mentioned by whynothinkwhynot?

I want a simple swap like this, so i can keep my current transmission and overall weight balance of the car. Going from 135hp/127tq to 151hp/154tq without tons of extra noise and loss of fuel economy sounds like a big improvement to me.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Moved to Engine and Transmission swap.

It should've been moved a long time ago, but that was so long ago that we didn't have this forum. This is the correct forum for this discussion.

I wrote that in 06 when I didn't know much about the engines. Both the Zetec and Duratec use a returnless fuel system. The transmission is not the same and will not bolt up. You will need to find a complete wrecked vehicle to do a swap, and there will be a lot involved because you'll have to remove the wiring harness and change out the ECU as well as reprogram the other computers to work with the new ECU.

It can be done, but it would be easier to sell your car and purchase an ST or PZEV with a D23.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
CrikitZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39913
What I Drive: 03' EAP SVT/Roush

FF Reputation: 1 CrikitZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
too bad they only use the D23 in the sedan ST. i wanted to see how it would do in a smaller car.

You mentioned the MTX-75 tranny's are different between the zetec and duratec's. I'll need to read more into this, because i have a spare MTX tranny, but don't know if it will fit my 00' ZX3
Old 06-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
06Roush
Banned

Fan#: 45862
What I Drive: Frankenstien

FF Reputation: 60 06Roush Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
getting the dura into the car will be your easy part as it will bolt right up by swapping the passangers side mount to a duratec mount. the hard part will be wiring seeing as how u will need a full duratec wiring harness. and i mean full. every wire from front to back will need to be replaced. i started this swap, had all the wiring and ecu and every thing then could not find a d23 so i gave up on it and just went with a d25 instead. witch since ur already doing it any ways u might as well just go with the d25 v6.

Bookmarks & Social Networks