Leaking Antifreeze!!!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
01_Focus_
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45940
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue SE

FF Reputation: 0 01_Focus_ Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Leaking Antifreeze!!!!!

Finaly got my car back after three months..........It sat in the hot for three onths and I moved it a couple of times for not even a mile........Get my car back and im drivein, at this point ive driven about 4 miles.......when i look down and my temp gauge is on red and pushin it. So i stop......i tiny bit of smoke came out. it was from antifreeze hittin the exhaust manifold. well anyways i continue drivein fr about another 4 miles and get to my high school and get ahold of some antifreeze......so i put it in and it runs great no power loss or nothin..............but yesterday on sunday my car was park at the church afterwards i came out and there was a puddle of antifreeze like a thick one......ok so i drive to work i feel no powerloss and i park.....i came back after about 5 hours and the entire space under my car is full of antifreeze??????? So im like damn. I start messin with hoses i find out that this big fat hose located in the front next to the batterie when i squeeze it makes a sound like its lettin air out. then i look it connects to this little black thing next to the head. and when i squeeze the hose i see bubbles come from the space wear it connects to the head..............right now im thinkin a gasket or replace the hoses. and what is that little bity black thing PLZ help im wastein money on antifreeze.

Zetec crew #153
still stock 01 Malibu Blue SE

"stupid ricer, useless wings are for penguins"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
that black thing is the thermostat housing. either the O ring is broke, or even the whole housing could be broke. its a very common problem. Its an easy fix to DIY, its not too expensive either. search for a thermostat housing how-to. they're out there.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
01_Focus_
Focus Enthusiast

Thakns.....im gonaa relpace the hoseing just to be safe. But ill check out the O-ring today. thanks.
Zetec crew #153

Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
02ZX3inPA
Wrenchin' aussie pos

Fan#: 45346
What I Drive: The Blue Devil

FF Reputation: 40 02ZX3inPA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mine did this last weekend. The inner retaining ring for the cylinder head seal on the t-stat gasket was bad, (1/4" of it broke off) causing the seal to tear, which caused the leak. If the valve cover is leaking, replace it or retorque the bolts and wipe any oil away from the area before putting on the new housing (oil swells the seal, and causes the inner retaining ring to break). The piece that commonly fails was 53 bucks at my local dealer. If you need the other piece that connects the radiator hose, coolant overflow return line, and t-stat housing, I have an extra one (used, but in good shape) that I'll offer for 15 bucks plus shipping (I'll have to check later on the shipping costs if you want it... They go for about 35 bucks at Ford.)
ZC #154..Focus Nation..
Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
01_Focus_
Focus Enthusiast

^^^explain slower im haveina dumb day. lol. You pretty much saying replce the thermastat seal and wipe away the oil on the head/block. then bolt back on the therm houseing....correct???
Zetec crew #153

Old 08-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
02ZX3inPA
Wrenchin' aussie pos

Fan#: 45346
What I Drive: The Blue Devil

FF Reputation: 40 02ZX3inPA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
No... The part of the housing that bolts to the head is probably bad. Check the seat for the seal. The ring that is just inside the seal, which holds the seal in place is probably broken. If it is, that ring is part of this portion of the housing. The part I have is the other piece. This one is held onto the piece I just described by 3 torx screws, and is the mounting point for the radiator hose and coolant return line.
ZC #154..Focus Nation..

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->