Best Engine Setup for Auto-X - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Which Engine Setup?
Turbo 2 6.06%
Supercharger 11 33.33%
NA 20 60.61%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The original topic was about what would help most for autocross. Honestly, unless you're racing on the streets or just have grudge matches at the strip, you're still going to have to keep up momentum even with the extra push of forced induction. You need to first learn how to make your car fast around the course and how to maintain corner speed to increase exit speed. Adding a supercharger or a tubo is only going to cover your butt down the straights, which there are few, and just mask your mistakes with power. If you're serious about autocross and becoming faster, learning the best way around the course through driver training and better tires is by far the best way to go. If you just want power for purposes outside of autocross, then by all means listen to the advice of others. All I can say is the forced induction isn't going to do for your times what you might think it can do. There are better and less expensive options that will make a much greater impact on your times.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #22
Daeron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20554
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Daeron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
whoever said LSD, that will put the car in DSP without any poweradder, so be careful what you ask for...stick with NA and upgrade suspension/wheels/tires
#2277 of 3985 born on 5/27/03
SVT Squad #20

SCT XCal2 (Hypnotic), AEM CAI, VR rear engine mount, FC ORP, FRPP STS, FC 2pc UDP, Eibach Pro-Kit springs/KYB AGX dampers, FRPP HIDs, Sony CDX-M8815X, Pioneer TS-A6880R front speakers, 16" Rota Grid (Royal Gunmetal) w/Falken Azenis RT615's

2004 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra Convertible, Mystichrome
#292 of 1896
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 AM   #23
JBrotbeck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31749
What I Drive: 2000 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JBrotbeck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I said go with LSD if he goes Supercharged. DSP or SM....no matter what class it goes into will get spanked. Maybe not at local regional events, but definitely at National/Divisional levels. Then again, we're not talking about making it competitive, we're talking about FUN. I still stand by what I said: Fun factor: Supercharger + LSD + Konis etc = FUN

Or just drop in a V8 and make it rear wheel drive. Now THAT would be fun. Talk about a SLEEPER!
National F&C
Old 06-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #24
92dxman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 36525
What I Drive: 1992 Red Civic hatch

FF Reputation: 1 92dxman Good Standing Member
Street Mod is a tough class to play in with heavily boosted Evos and supercharged M3's. I defenitely agree with everybody saying work on the traction. A set of good shocks and wheels/tires will go a long way than added power. I have seen guys in Minis take top 5 in the pax index running in H stock with only shocks and wheels/tires. They ranked higher than some guys in WRX's, Evos and Vettes.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:39 PM   #25
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
^^^There's a Mini Cooper S on slicks (otherwise bone stock) that is usually in the top 5 overall in our region. That little thing is a weapon!

Mmmmm Street Mod. I have been dreaming again of my SM fantasy, a 993-powered 914 with a very serious chassis underneath... Seriously, it was keeping me up 2 nights ago.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #26
WitchCitySVT
Turbo!!!!

Fan#: 33699
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ

FF Reputation: 30 WitchCitySVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by fokuzx3
the problem is, what is there to help you motor wise with the svt? with all the bolt ons your still gonna be torn up by motor swapped civics and k20's ..with the zx3 id say all motor wouldnt be so bad, and especially with the duratec, but the svt really doesnt have another choice.
I have yet to get the chance to particapate in a local auto-x,but wouldn't a honda with an engine swap bump them into SM? Just curious

2003 Competition Orange SVT *Revived*
2012 Black Sonic 1.4 Turbo LTZ
Old 06-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #27
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
^^Yes it would. And it still takes a good driver behind the wheel of nearly anything to beat a skilled SVT pilot on course...

If I were given $10K to build up my car for SOLO competition, I doubt if more than $1K - $2K would go to the engine, if that. It simply doesn't make much difference at the Autocross, unless some region decides to set up a REALLY open course.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #28
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
^^^im with carrera on this, stay NA, really if you have good suspension and good tires you can kick ass.
i got an automatic spi rated at about 94whp. all i got under the hood is a sri, stock size tube. i got svt kit no rear sway, which i need to put on. and my times are very nice. my best run in 1st race i got a 1:06 a mustang got 1:07 a few more modified cars and beemers and such fastest were 1:03 and fastest time was put down by an evo 8 with 57 seconds.....so really its not how fast your car is, its how well you can take corners. i had slowest car in race, still do, yet i pound the corners harder,most of the time, then some of the faster cars.
remember this saying "to be fast sometimes you need to go slow"
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #29
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I have a street Modified SPI, I already go thrown up there for just the BDR throttle body, and the removal of the back seat and soon the install of the roll cage and I will be in street modified. I will be turbo charged by the end of the year. I was running dunlop sports(blew a damn tire and back to goodyear assurances) and do very well against porches and vettes. I do a lot of my autox with the PCA. The reason I am doing well versus these highly modified super cars are because the drivers are arragant shit heads who think a 100k car will beat my 15k dollar car. They never practice, don;t do schools, I practice almost every weekend and go to as many schools as I can afford and as time allows
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #30
focusedaddiction
2focusedracing

Fan#: 23787
What I Drive: 2003 sangria red 5spd. ZX3Turbo

FF Reputation: 4 focusedaddiction Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
right on I'm in SM also! & lovin it! except for the fact that Everyone seems to be going to "R" compounds, but me.....I'm poor!
_/\_/\_SCCA_/\_/\_SM #74_/\_/\_BRING ON THE CONES!...zetec crew #74
ZX3..underpressure
tuning by TOM

Bookmarks & Social Networks