Basic Bolt ons: Struts and Shocks/Suspension packages - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Basic Bolt ons: Struts and Shocks/Suspension packages

When it comes to modifying your focus, I always recommend replacing your stock dampers when going with an aftermarket lowering or sport spring set.

The kits I am about to show you have many uses, some are good for mild increased handling and some are for all out racing. I did not include coil over setups since those arenít really basic bolt ons.

Here is a list of the better suspension kits available for the focus.

Front Rear
*Eibach pro kit 1.4 1.5
*Spax sport kit 35mm 35mm
*Spax sport kit 50mm 50mm
Apex sport suspension kit 1.5 1.5
Apex sport suspension kit 2.0 2.0
Hitec FK sport kit 35mm 40mm
Hitec FK sport kit 60mm 40mm
H&R cup kit 2.5-2.75 2.5-2.75
Sachs sporting kit 35mm 35mm
*Ford Racing damper kit
*Koni shocks and struts

* denotes a kit you can buy separately from the spring package or are only sold individually.

I wonít try to compare one kit from another, only someone who has experienced all of them can do that. But from reading posts on forums by different drivers over the last 3 years I have learned a few things and I will give some of my impressions here.

Eibach Pro kit
This is what I have on my car. Overall the handling is good, much improved over stock. To me, this setup is fairly mild which can be good for someone with a daily driver who seeks improved handling. If you autocross for example this isnít really the kit for you.

Apex sport kit
The apex kit is a newcomer to the focus scene. Many people hold it in high regard. Some I have spoken too whose cars previously had the eibach pro kit say the apex kit provides improved handling without any decrease in ride quality.

Sachs sporting kit
This kit was put together by sachs after their involvement in developing the focus RS suspension setup. Sachs is well known through out europe for equipping such manufacturers as audi, bmw, Mercedes and Porsche cars with their suspension packages.

H&R cup kit
The H&R cup kit is not a setup for the average daily driver. It has been put together to provide the best handling for the money. While more expensive than some of the other spring/damper packages, the cost is justifiable when considering the kits superior handling. The kit lowers the car beyond the stock suspensions ability to be adjusted, so caster/camber devices should be installed to properly adjust the cars setup.

Koni shocks and struts
You cannot buy the koni dampers with any coil springs, there is a reason for this. The koni pieces are designed more for a serious handling vehicle than a mild or moderate handling one. These parts are not for the faint of heart and are geared more for a track fan than the average commuting joe. If you spend a lot of time auto crossing and road racing, these are the parts for you.

If you have a question about one of these parts or another related suspension part, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at frzx3@yahoo.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
jeffrey02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3942
What I Drive: 2003 zx5 black

FF Reputation: 1 jeffrey02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
spax or eibach

should i go spax or eibach? i dont think the eibach springs lowers the focus that much. what do you think? thanks
Old 02-23-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
The eibach setup lowers the focus about 1.5"

Since I already have it, I would probably try the Spax setup.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
chubbz2.3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2833
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 Grey

FF Reputation: 1 chubbz2.3 Good Standing Member
check out FKautomotive.com there is like a 60/40mm kit and a 35/40???mm kit. i have the 60/40 and it works nicely. no nasty ride on the freeway and handles like a go-cart when you need to.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
rockthezx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2116
What I Drive: 05 Silver WRX Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rockthezx3 Good Standing Member
Quick question, why would the H&R cup kit be bad for a daily driver?
...now with dyno tuned stage 2
Old 03-15-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
drewzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1213
What I Drive: silver 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 drewzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by rockthezx3
Quick question, why would the H&R cup kit be bad for a daily driver?

probaly because the ride quality is stiffer than others so it will be rough but kickass on the track.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:40 AM   #7
MadWax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6627
What I Drive: 04 SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 MadWax Good Standing Member
I was thinking of upgrading to the H&R cup kit, but it's little pricey for my needs, I was wondering how does the Tokico kit fair on these cars? I have Eibach Sportlines with Tokico Illuminas on my Tsi and swear by them, my main question is should I replace my entire suspension or should I just do sway bars first? I love the ride of my car, I do not want to "slam" it due to the nature of the roads I drive, but I hate the swaying in the car on corners and such. Who makes the best sway bars? I want to take modding this car kinda slow, I bought it for my mom and if I change it too much, well, she'll hate it.

WOW! never mind the "pricey" part of that post, I just found the cup kit for like $550!!

"The Cobalt firmly grabs you and whisks you along your way instantly. It does so with authority and poise, but while slipping relatively unnoticed through traffic, never being violent, or dare I say it, frightening. When you ask the SRT-4 to take you somewhere fast, it punches you in the face, throws you over its shoulder, and runs, screaming, so quickly that its tires can barely keep up."
Old 08-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Solaris
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 52
What I Drive: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE

FF Reputation: 1 Solaris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well what about the SVT kit from what i read it's a good performeer as far as autox goes.

Now driving a 1985 Light Blue Volvo 740 GLE with 95,000 miles on it
Old 08-18-2004, 04:26 PM   #9
FocusFogie
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 8752
What I Drive: '04 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FocusFogie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Does anybody make high performance struts that don't lower the car?

After ~5000 miles I already am getting tired of the stock suspension wallow but, because of steep driveways that I drive everyday, I really can't lower the car without grinding.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:06 PM   #10
nthcoastcom
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7017
What I Drive: 96 Cobra,07 GT, 08 Vista Blue Focus

FF Reputation: 9 nthcoastcom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
HP struts/shocks do not lower your car. Only lowering springs do....

Get a set of Tokico/Koni etc if you want to firm up your ride without lowering it at all

Todd
www.nthcoast.com

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.