Total SVT exhaust install on 2001 ZX3 – Unexpected Results - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
ITLRUN
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30220
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZX3, 2003 Mustang Mach 1

FF Reputation: 1 ITLRUN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Lightbulb Total SVT exhaust install on 2001 ZX3 – Unexpected Results

I have been researching this install for several weeks now. My research turned up some interesting myths. I have attempted to dispel all the mistruths and provide you guys with honest real world answers.

The project car is a 2001 ZX3 with the 2.0L Zetec engine. I purchased the Ford Racing Focus Long Tube Header Kit (M-9430-ZX3L – Modified SVT Header), Focus Central ORP, stock Ford SVT Flex Pipe (2M5Z-5G203-AA) and the Ford Racing / Borla SVT Muffler Kit (M-5200-ZX4).

THIS IS A DIRECT BOLT ON. The only modification I had to make was extending the O2 sensor harness approx 12”. I could have bought O2 extenders to keep this a complete bolt on, but extending the harnesses was easy enough to do. Others will try to convince you that this can not be done with out buying their special “engineered” part. HOGWASH! Don’t believe the hype.

I could source all the parts myself from my employer with exception of a high flow converter or ORP, so I contacted a sponsor of this site for help. I attempted to purchase a high flow converter pipe. I explained what I was doing as I was told by them a stock SVT style ORP or Cat pipe would not work. They offered to sell me their “special” (read way over priced) pipe so that I could bolt this system to my car.

They explained to me that the engine in the SVT Focus sits more forward in the car than the standard Focus engine. I was told that if I attempted to install the FRPP SVT Header, SVT Cat Pipe and SVT Flex Pipe that the assembly would be too long and would not correctly meet the junction for the cat back exhaust. Again, HOGWASH.

It appears to me that the STD Zetec shorty header, Cat/ORP & Flex Pipe are the same overall length (installed point A to point B) as the SVT long tube header, Cat/ORP & Flex Pipe.

That being said, the only reason I can see for any modification would be if you wanted to install the SVT Header, Cat/ORP & Flex Pipe to a standard Zetec cat back exhaust. The pipes would have different diameters and have different bolt spacing at that one connection. I am currently working out the bugs to make that connection work and I will post my results for all to see.

Comparisons Pictures here:

http://www.streetcarforums.com/attac...&postid=715865

http://www.streetcarforums.com/attac...&postid=715868

I am very pleased with the end result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Achilleus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30461
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Achilleus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow thats great information! I was looking into doing this as well, and was wondering whether or not it would fit a normal focus. Nice work
Old 03-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
CDSilver5DoorSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2262
What I Drive: Waiting For The Cobras Point By....

FF Reputation: 13 CDSilver5DoorSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (39)
I've had the same setup on my car for over a year now, matched up perfect.......you'll be happy with your gains.......
Old 03-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
Iggmasta
Team Shocker #2

Fan#: 13150
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Iggmasta Good Standing Member
Great info man thats awesome how does it run?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
snapcase452
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 25800
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 snapcase452 Good Standing Member
wow, good job. What was the price on the whole set up?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #6
ITLRUN
Focus Enthusiast

I had a small hiccup with the car this afternoon. The power steering pressure line was very close to the header tube when I installed it. As a matter of fact, too close. LOL The line ruptured this afternoon after a 50 mile cruise and made a nasty mess. I will fix that and see if there is a better way to route the hose. Any of you guys with this header have the same problem or devise a way to correct it?

I have to say the car runs like a champ! It made a pretty big difference in the mid and upper rpm range. It sounds very nice. I am a long time Mustang owner and I was a bit worried about it having a "rice" tone and it does not. I would strongly reccomend this kit to anyone that was thinking about a complete system or the SVT header kit.

Retail pricing on these parts is fair. To tell you the truth, I have sent a PM to Tom to inquire about being a sponsor or authorized advertiser here on the site. Until I get a responce I will not post any contact or pricing information from me. The header and cat back is available from any Ford Racing dealer. I used a stock Ford flexpipe and I ordered the ORP from Steeda.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
CELT44
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24317
What I Drive: '03 Silver ZTW, '70 Jeep CJ5 with a

FF Reputation: 1 CELT44 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I did basically the same thing that you did and I'm very satisfied. Sounds very throaty but not raspy. Performance went up too!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
ITLRUN
Focus Enthusiast

Im still researching the issue with the power steering hose. Do any of you guys that are running the SVT header have any clearence issuse? If not what did you do differently?

This is what I would refer to as an interference fit! hehe

http://www.streetcarforums.com/attac...&postid=717909
Old 03-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
osiris_vdc
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10486
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX5 ATX Disco Potato

FF Reputation: 5 osiris_vdc Good Standing Member
Here are a couple of shots of what I did to reroute the PS line to get it away from the header.

I've never had an issue with my line run like this.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
hkysk8r07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5957
What I Drive: 00 I-R ZX3/ 07 Reflex Silver GTI

FF Reputation: 1 hkysk8r07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
it's always possible to run the SVT PS line.

and when you say this
Quote:
That being said, the only reason I can see for any modification would be if you wanted to install the SVT Header, Cat/ORP & Flex Pipe to a standard Zetec cat back exhaust. The pipes would have different diameters and have different bolt spacing at that one connection. I am currently working out the bugs to make that connection work and I will post my results for all to see.
all you gotta do is drill out the flange.
i installed the SVT borla on my stock zetec flex and i just slotted the flange a bit more so the holes line up.

then i put on a 2.5" trubendz zetec flex (bolts up fine to stock cat and modded borla...it had a wider flange so it could accomodate different bolt sizes that the 2 different borlas come with)

next i'm putting on the SVT header, but instead of buying a SVT flex/orp or cat i'm just making a custom 2.5" ORP that'll connect the SVT header to my zetec flex. then when emmissions rolls around i just plan on borrowing someone that has a SVT's cat and flex

the only thing that sucks is getting new gaskets from some parts stores.

hey also is there an o2 sensor that bolts into one of the tubes on the SVT manifold?? all i'm seeing is the one that hooks up to the orp that you use the MIL with.

Last edited by hkysk8r07; 03-03-2006 at 11:22 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks