Basic Bolt Ons: Intakes And Induction - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2004, 04:31 PM   #71
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

Points 5,903, Level 49
Points: 5,903, Level: 49 Points: 5,903, Level: 49 Points: 5,903, Level: 49
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
WHat about the Focus SPort ITG CoolFlo for the SVTF? How much gain can one expect?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 06:43 AM   #72
moyboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 15720
What I Drive: 2004 silver/blue SR

FF Reputation: 1 moyboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks dude, I was looking at getting K&N anyway, that puts my mind at ease. In your oppinion what would provide the most gain between various varieties of air induction....(ie cold air, cool air, short ram...etc.)?

moy
Old 11-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #73
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
cold air and the volant look the best on the dyno.

FS for the svtf will net you the avereage 4/4. the itg filter is very free flowing. its a good filter. its the reason that kit is almost $200. filter alone sells for $90.

my plan when i get my jrsc is to get the volant box and slap an itg filter in it.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:58 PM   #74
FocusSportSteve
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119
FF Reputation: 1 FocusSportSteve Good Standing Member
Re: Basic Bolt Ons: Intakes And Induction

Quote:
Originally posted by focaltech
PROS
The cool flo intake is made by focussport, which to me is one of the premier companies for aftermarket focus parts. The cool flo is similar to the Volant in that it uses a conical filter and airbox setup to protect from underhood heat. Focussport includes a ITG air filter which is about the best you can buy. They also include a heat shield, its very similar to an airbox and comes complete with a rubber seal to keep the filter completely contained when the hood is closed. Also included are an ITG breather filter and hose.

CONS
While I love focussport products this intake is a bit pricey at $ 200. the filters can be cleaned but if a replacement is ever needed they are $ 80 which is kinda high in my opinion.
Might I thank you for your review and add one tidbit to it.. Yes we agree the ITG filters by far outperforms its competitors, thats why we use them on all our intakes. They are also the bulk of the cost of our systems... They are all handmade and imported. Very high quality control on them, and they are backed by a Lifetime Warranty, so I doubt you will ever need to buy that replacement.. In the years I have worked here, I have only seen a few come back.. Usually from misuse (where they tear it etc), or used improper cleaners on the filter... If taken care of these things look and act like new all the time... Some people buy the replacement filters for custom applications, thus is why we offer it seperately.

Feel free to call us if you have any furthur q's..
Old 01-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #75
Hangfire
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 18070
What I Drive: 2004 Panther Black 1.8 Edge

FF Reputation: 1 Hangfire Good Standing Member
i am sorry to be so completely green around the gills, but i bought a new focus 1.8 zetec 3 months ago and i am considering doing some newbie mods.
i can do the basic mechanical stuff etc, and i was looking on ebay (oh dear) and found lots of air induction kits for the focus including the 'green' one.
would they invalidate my insurance in the UK???
bearing in mind i wanna spend little to start with so that i can decide if i want to go further if you know what i mean.
is this the mod for me and if so what should i be expecting to spend for something midway/half decent etc???
i know you have done a faq ewtc but none of the stuff i have seen is listed here????
complete focus newbie
:)
Old 01-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #76
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Quote:
bearing in mind i wanna spend little to start with so that i can decide if i want to go further if you know what i mean.
If you like to tinker, you might make your own intake mod. It souldn't cost but a couple quid and will add 50% more air to you your oem intake.

All standard Foci with Zetec use an air box that has an air resonator box hanging off of it. This is for sound damping; making the Zetec sound more civilized.
This part is held on by plastic clips and easily removed from inside the air box.
So, here is the homemade mod:
Take off the resonator box and you reveal another inlet into the air box. Buy some ducting (like that used for clothes dryers) and attach it to the air box where the resonator used to be.
Make it long enough to snake the air intake end down towards the head lamp (accessing cooler air) You are done.
(I have an Iceman Intake with utilizes the oem air box and has extra ducting attached to the resonator duct.)
BTW, it you want to spring for a K&N high flow panal filter, you will make a bigger difference than this mod will. Putting both together; you will feel the difference.

-Homer Simpson
Old 01-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #77
Slo_Focus
AKA Fast_Focus

Fan#: 17238
What I Drive: 2007 LG ZX4, 2007 Yamaha Blue R6

FF Reputation: 14 Slo_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
thanx... I think I'll go with Iceman or Volant
Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #78
seeingreen_83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19678
FF Reputation: 1 seeingreen_83 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the post, i've had a lot of questions about the subject.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:14 AM   #79
FocusFogie
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 8752
What I Drive: '04 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FocusFogie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mac intake potential problem

Don't know if this affects other intakes too, something to pay attention to though.

If you have installed or plan to install a Mac short ram on a Zetec, Make sure you have lots of slack in the wires to the MAF and coil.

The MAF is mounted in a different position thanstock with the Mac short ram and puts extra stress on the wiring connectors. At least a couple of us have had the wire break in the connector on top of the coil because when the engine moves it yanks on the wires.

When the wire pulls from the coil top the car surges and bucks as ignition cuts in and out. Super simple problem but it's a real pain to find broken wires when just the wire inside is broken. I couldn't find it and it cost me a couple hundred at the dealer for them to diagnose and fix it.

See this thread
Old 04-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #80
Godzukidan
ELVIS LIVES !

Fan#: 20925
What I Drive: 05 ZX3, 95 T-Bird V8, 2012 Stang V6

Points 2,382, Level 29
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 Godzukidan Good Standing Member
Where is a good place to buy the Iceman. And does K&N make a filter for the 2005 Motor yet?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.