Clutch issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
ampedout
Focus Addict

Fan#: 16956
What I Drive: White 00 SE Sedan Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 ampedout Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Angry Clutch issues

I recently installed my Quaife LSD. I now have a problem with my clutch.. it doesnt engage properly. It kinda seems like it bangs in first and second while engaging (this only happens seldomly). Other than that the release is all the way at the top of the pedal. Although at higher RPMs when shifting it just slips a ton until it finally grabs fully. This is after I have completely removed my foot from the pedal. And in reverse is seems jumpy. I did not touch the clutch assembly at all while the tranny was off. Ive bled the clutch SOOO many times. I have even bled all the brakes starting with the rear followed by the front then the clutch..

The only thing I can think of is that we didnt disconnect the clutch from the slave cylinder so it was being pulled on while we dropped the tranny. We soon realized and raised it up a bit and I disconnected it. When I hooked it back up, the metal tube was slightly bent, so I bent it back and installed it again. There were no kinks or noticable bend marks. Could a slight bend cause the above?? Cause I am unsure on what it could be other than that. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
How were you bleeding the clutch? A two man operation with pedal pushing or with a vaccum/power bleeder? When I had my car at Tom's shop he was commenting on how hard it can be to get the slave cylinder properly bled using the two-man method. I have a very similar problem right now...major engagement lag and slipping in all gears until it gets warmed up (and lately even when its warmed up it still slips in 5th.) I've traced it back to a leaky master cylinder, which I suspect allowed some air into the line and that's causing the problem. Odds are you probably still have some air left in the system somewhere...does the clutch feel mushy or easier to push than usual?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
ampedout
Focus Addict

Nope, the clutch feels as it normaly should. It seems to get worse as it warms up. I bled using the two-man pedal pushing. You think a slight kink in the line could cause this? Meaning the inside diamater is perfectly round while a section of the line is slightly oval, and I mean slight in the strongest sence..??
Old 02-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

I seriously doubt a slight kink in the line would cause the problem you're experiencing...as long as the fluid can flow in and out mostly unobstructed you should be fine. If it was the cause of the problem, you'd probably have trouble pushing the pedal down since liquids don't compress...or you'd have a blowout at the MC/SC and the pedal would just drop to the floor.

If I had to guess, you probably still have an air bubble in the slave cylinder and its causing the engagement lag and slipping. I'd suggest getting a power or vaccum bleeder and bleeding the system again, when my transmission went back on at Tom's shop they probably went through a gallon of brake fluid before it was bled properly (and they were using the two-man method.)
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
ampedout
Focus Addict

Well, I experianced a leak in the passenger side axle seal. So I replaced that and no more leakage. Now, I am leaking tranny fluid from god knows where.. seems like its comming from the bell housing section where the slave C./ tob and flywheel are.. Its hard to tell but I do not see any leakage from where the transmision breaks from teh bell housing, that seems sealed properly. This all stems from the Quaife lsd install. This is also the third Quaife I have installed and I had done nothing different. I am unsure what to do next.. or what the problem could be. I didnt touch the TOB but could fluid be leaking through there or something?

Oh and also, all the gears seem to be kinda surgy and clunky. It really feels like the clutch slipping and it smells like it too but could an internal problem in the tranny cause something that would seem like slippage?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Is it brake fluid or transmission fluid? You could have a leaking shaft seal on either side of the clutch...
Old 02-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
ampedout
Focus Addict

Its red tranny fluid.. At first it was tough to know what it was because I use royal purple trans fluid but I just threw in some red automatic stuff and thats is whats all over the cement. Now, ive pulled off the trany sooo many times before whether it be my car or other poeples but I never really noticed any other oil seal except for the two where the axles go into.. Are there others? I REALLY dont want to pull the tranny again as it takes SO much longer because of my supercharger.. I just dont know what it could be.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

You're probably leaking at the transmission's input shaft seal...there should be a seal at the input shaft on the transmission side and coming out of the crankcase on the engine side. Is the transmission fluid dripping out of the bellhousing vent hole? If so your clutch is probably covered in transmission fluid and that's causing the slipping.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:08 AM   #9
ampedout
Focus Addict

I think thats it.. Its comming from the bell housing vent holes.. Now what exactly is the problem and how can it be fixed?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
ampedout
Focus Addict

So your saying there is a seal behind the tob/slave cyl? Does anyone happen to know the part number for a replacement so that I may get that ordered?

Bookmarks & Social Networks