Cabin air filter - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Are you aware that your US Focus comes with an air filtration system for cabin air?
Yes 138 69.35%
No 61 30.65%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
fliphandywork

Fan#: 2844
FF Reputation: 1 fliphandywork Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just checked Murrays Automotive and Advanced Auto Parts... the Purolator is $11.99(1 day order) and the Fram is $19.99(stocked)... is there a difference other than price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 04:10 PM   #12
slvrfocus03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Not really, the Purolator is a pretty well known filter and that's what I have in mine right now. Don't know what shape it's in and how well it lasted, but will in less than 3k. Advanced Auto Parts is where I got mine. From what I heard, and this is just hearsay, the quality of Fram products aren't as good as they used to be. Especially the oil filters. Also, I don't blame Ford for not putting them in there from the factory. You can't blame them for wanting to cut cost. Sure it's a fairly inexpensive item, but as many as they would have to dish out, the cost would add up in no time. A few bucks every so often for piece of mind that your getting clean air is worth it to me.
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna
Old 02-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #13
fliphandywork

Fan#: 2844
FF Reputation: 1 fliphandywork Good Standing Member
Ditto. I have no problem going out and getting the air filter... it would have been nice to know sooner that it wasn't in there.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #14
slvrfocus03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Yes, I agree on that note. Guess you have to be really into cars and do your research to find out lil secrets like this. As I mentioned, if it wasn't for my bro, I wouldn't have known. He's kind enough to do research on my car, mainly just cause he's a car guy and like's to know everything there is to know.
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna
Old 02-20-2004, 08:49 PM   #15
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
thanks for the info and how-to guys. i never knew....

i will be putting mine in on my day off on monday.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:28 PM   #16
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
I found it in the manual. It mentions it in the maintenance section but indirectly. It says to change it "If equipped" like it was an option. I found out where it was due to forums like this.
By the way, I had my mother try to get one put in when she had her Focus in for service at the dealer.

They told her it wasn't equipped with a cabin air filter!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:45 AM   #17
sitlet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 970
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sitlet Good Standing Member
just a note for anyone who is planning on doing this:

be sure to reseal the cowl with silicone or something similar or you will get water leaks in the passenger side interior. there is alreade some sealant between the cowl and the windshield, but when you lift it up to put the filter in, it will most likely come off. if you're very carefull, maybe it wont.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #18
focaltech

Fan#: 490
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 focaltech Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Quote:
Originally posted by sitlet
just a note for anyone who is planning on doing this:

be sure to reseal the cowl with silicone or something similar or you will get water leaks in the passenger side interior. there is alreade some sealant between the cowl and the windshield, but when you lift it up to put the filter in, it will most likely come off. if you're very carefull, maybe it wont.
You are 100% right, you will ruin the seal when you remove the cowl. Make sure you get something very strong to form a new seal.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:41 PM   #19
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
oh great... leaks to look forward to. Wish I read that before I put one in today. Broke one of the tabs too. This is one crapy design. not worth the effort to put one in that is for sure. Now I get to look forward to leaks.
ST crew #18
Old 02-21-2004, 04:48 PM   #20
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Quote:
oh great... leaks to look forward to. Wish I read that before I put one in today. Broke one of the tabs too. This is one crapy design. not worth the effort to put one in that is for sure. Now I get to look forward to leaks.
Hey, vanace , since I live in the rainy NW as well, help a brother out. What did you learn not to do?

Bookmarks & Social Networks