"How To" - Cutting the Stock shifter - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #91
sbeaty
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25861
What I Drive: 05 Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 sbeaty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My God man, Dont try this. The throw is not controlled by the length of the shifter. Dont get rid of your lock out. This is not a wise trick...

Once again, I got flamed for pulling the airtube out of the airbox, and now sawing the shifter is all the sudden a good thing... You focus guys confuse me.

This trick is going to be responsible for problems down the road. Be careful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #92
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Can you supply us with more scientific knowledge.

"Just don't do it" isn't advise.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #93
sbeaty
Focus Enthusiast

Really, that seems to be the standard of advice that I have rec'd on this forum.

However, without the reverse lock out and all the "1abee racers" who have very limited experience on driving a manual transmission, I can certainly see some worn out reverse gears, ground gears and all the way around busted trannys... Cutting the shifter handle, while it does not impact the transmission directly, is a worthless thing to do... It gets you ZERO improvements as far as performance and if all you are looking for is looks, then you might as well put a turbo sticker on the back of your car and cut your springs... because that is the same thing you are doing here.

Dont redneck your car in this way... removing the reverse lock out to make the shifter look cool is a dumb thing to do. Please dont take offense to this. I am the king of the cheap mods and if I could get some great numbers from cutting a shifter handle, I would have done it before I left the dealership... Believe me, I dont want to flame anyone and that was not the purpose of the post, it is just simply to say that just doing something to make your car look like it has been modified when it is not... not only is it cheap, but it is worthless. Even more when it requires removing some of the mechanical pieces designed to help you not "tear up" the car. Also, you better be careful when you take it to the dealership for warranty work on the tranny if ever needed. They can and most likely will refuse the service because the lock out is gone.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #94
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02

Fan#: 10712
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE sport

FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This mod works well, hell I did it to my car and drove it like that for a year with no ill effacts,but I went out and bought FC race shifter for shits and giggles and to tell you the truth the FC is'nt a big differance from a cut down shifter both had about the same throw distance.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 PM   #95
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Well, it ergomonically moves the shifter knob to a more desired location for me personally.

No one has yet had an issue with grinded gears or poping the shifter in to reverse on accident because of no lockout.

People have been doing this mod on other cars for years and haven't had any issues.

Speculation will get you no where if you want to prove a point/fact.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #96
sbeaty
Focus Enthusiast

I appreciate what you are saying, but if it works for you, please go right on ahead.

And as for people doing it for years, we did it in 1987 with a new Shelby Charger because the short throws were not something available as readily as they are now. We did it on a 1988 Shelby CSXT as well in 90, because the shifter seemed too high.

I appreciate the car education, but been down this road for a long time, and there are new things that we all learn everyday, but this is not one of them.

Have fun, and hope it works for ya!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #97
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I can almost understand browbeating people over cutting the shifter, but not the reverse interlock. How long have auto makers been installing a built-in interlock that prevents the transmission from being dropped from 5th into reverse?

I've had the reverse interlock off of my Focus since the day I bought it, and would you believe that my reverse gear isn't worn out, and I haven't "torn up" the rest of the gears? I didn't remove it to be "cool" or make my car look like its been "modified," I did it because I find the reverse interlock to be annoying as hell. If your manual dexterity is so bad that you need a little piece of plastic to prevent you from shifting into reverse instead of the other five gears, you shouldn't be driving a manual-transmission equipped car...let alone driving at all.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #98
RsDriver24
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27631
What I Drive: 2011 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 RsDriver24 Good Standing Member
where did you get that piece that goes around the shift box im been looking for one for my 05? and why didnt you just buy a short throw for your car but hey what ever floats your boat not to bad
Team Duratec #6
Current Mods: Fs Cai Borla Catback H&R cup kit Tinted windows 20% Tinted Tails& Side Markers Ford racing Short Throw Svt pedals Rs Ebrake Rs C.f Wing C.f hood F.s Front stress bar Triple Guage pod with C2 Alot more cant list
Old 10-02-2005, 01:54 AM   #99
CheckMyVitals
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23679
What I Drive: 2002 SE Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 1 CheckMyVitals Good Standing Member
though this convo was about a month ago... i'd just like to add that only the MTX-75 trannys come with teh reverse lockout. the IB5s don't have it at all... from factory. Maybe they know the SPI guys are just smarter... or maybe it's really just a convenience thing. What I'm getting at here... is i highly doubt the dealership is going to deny a warranty without the lockout there. If they do... I'd be looking for a new dealership
Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #100
Trickfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29910
What I Drive: 2002 Midnight Blue ZX3.

FF Reputation: 3 Trickfocus Good Standing Member
so i know this thread has been going on for a while, but i was thinking of hacking the stick in two about halfway down, and then grinding the cut edges down to opposing angles to put the stick at about 45 degrees lower and back, kinda like a truck stick, or old muscle car sticks, and welding it in place, and trashing the reverse lockout all at the same time, i would also like to get rid of the leather shift boot, and replace it with the rubber accordion style. im probably gonna do it. any input on an easy way to do it or where to find the shift boot?

No regrets! That's my motto. That and 'Everybody Wang Chung Tonight.'

Bookmarks & Social Networks