Mach 500 amp/sub removal & replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
MachFordFocus

Fan#: 24236
What I Drive: 2002 Mach Series Focus ZTS in Silver

FF Reputation: 1 MachFordFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Mach 500 amp/sub removal & replacement

I need some help here. It's not that I am actually doing it myself but I have a Mach Audio series Focus (2002) and I am tired of having Ford replace the sub and/or amp because the sub is more powerful that the amps that they used. I am now replacing them with after market Sony's and I need the wire colors. My fiancee thinks he may have to run an additional ground power wire which I would rather not do. Anyone got any ideas? Someone else has to have a Mach series or Sony series here!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
spudgunman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3952
What I Drive: 05 ST Black on Black

FF Reputation: 1 spudgunman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i dont ever remember the 2002 but you can search for excats its posted 100's of times
here is the 2005
http://www.geocities.com/kellykeeton...udio/audio.htm

1) to have a factory replace stereo equipment if its not a warente item is just not smart
2) sub is more powerfull then the amp they use? its all rated correctly OEM

to replace them with aftermarket i assume your now dooin' the install your self?

to run a additional ground you dont run it the length of the car you put a 1-2 foot ground to the chassess of the car

here are some more posts on the topic from the last few days

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=72635
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=resistor
Old 02-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 150
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 cpyder Good Standing Member
Dude... its more than just wire splicing. You are going to have to rewire everything up.... Even if you use the stock HU, you are going to have a hell of a time tracking down were everything goes correctly.

You have to realize that there are 2 amps back there. They are split to power all of the speakers and the sub. There is NO wiring adapter or harnes for the HU or to swap the HU for the Mach system. (atleast not when I looked)

I went to 5 different places, all reputable, and they said they would have to rewire everything. I ended up doing it on my own, I just wanted a different HU. I had to use lowpass converters for all the speaker outs on the new HU and splice RCAs onto the sub wiring of the factory harness. PAIN IN BUTT to track it all down... but it worked. (after some tweeking with the lowpasses)

But it seems from your explaination up there that all you want to do is replace the Mach amps. The stock Mach sub is only rated at about 250 RMS. Besides, that sub was designed to work with those amps,,... to work with that HU. Its all calibrated, which is why it makes it such a pain.

Good luck though.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
MachFordFocus

Fan#: 24236
What I Drive: 2002 Mach Series Focus ZTS in Silver

FF Reputation: 1 MachFordFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So basically, I should go back to Ford and have them fix the sub & amp with the Mach Audio junk or I'll be rewiring the whole car - which I would rather NOT do! Well, here goes for #4 on the Mach Audio trunk junk...
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

Points 12,236, Level 72
Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72 Points: 12,236, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Your PM's are turned off^^^

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

#4?
Must be your list. Sorry man. But are you just wanting to change the sub and amps? Or are you doing the HU as well... Because the wires are run ... from HU to trunk amps, amps to speakers. So if you just cut the connectors off at the amps you could track to see which comes from the Hu and which go to the speakers. From there you can try to figure what goes where. The only thing you might have to add is the acc wire, so the amps turn off with the radio. But you will need to replace both amps with 2 amps. Because the stock Mach HU will not power the speakers on its own. (at least I do not think it has been tried)

With my medling, I found that the Mach HU outputs at preamp... so it would not be to hard to wire that to an amp. Just test the amp with the levels really LOW first. Just incase they are just above preamp. (hence why I had to play with all the lowpasses I put on)...

Again... good luck.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
spudgunman
Focus Enthusiast

what is your problem with the factory stereo? why the reson for saying that the amp and speaker is not correct power?

cpyder no it wont power the subs with out the amps, the ACC wire is also part of the factory wires. you only need to replace bolth amps if you want to you can alter the factory wires so that only one amp is needed. all decks will output a sub as preamp. the mach install isnt that crazy its just not like every other focus.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by spudgunman
what is your problem with the factory stereo? why the reson for saying that the amp and speaker is not correct power?

cpyder no it wont power the subs with out the amps, the ACC wire is also part of the factory wires. you only need to replace bolth amps if you want to you can alter the factory wires so that only one amp is needed. all decks will output a sub as preamp. the mach install isnt that crazy its just not like every other focus.
Umm. ok to the "wont power the subs without the amps",,.. thats common sense. He said that he wanted to use an aftermarket amp with the Mach sub. Which is a bad idea, but he will have to have a second amp to run the cabin speakers. And I know that one of the wires on the harness is the acc, I just cannot remember which one, and I could never find a Mach Audio wireing diagram. (nobody had one)

And, No its not like other Foci. I had to wire mine.... 5 different installation sites (best buy, sound advice, senior stereo (the one in pembroke pines and kendal), curcuit city, and my friends place that wires up show cars). Hooking the wires directly to a harness does not work. One of those amps powers the cabin speakers, so using a commom Ford Foci wiring harness will just cause noise. Been there got pissed at that. And yes I agree that its odd, sound advice had just finished replacing a HU on a Mach system in a 99 Explorer and it worked fine with the harness. Mine was the second Mach Focus that they had and could not figure out why it would not work. (at sound advice)

thats why I wanted to clearify if all the man wanted to do was replace the amp and sub... or the HU as well.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 PM   #9
cpyder
Focus Fanatic

P.S.

The Mach systems in no way resemble any of the audiophile Foci systems. So the 2005 and up models have no bearing on the wiring of a 2002 Mach.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
spudgunman
Focus Enthusiast

here is all the info you need including the "so different mach500 wire diagram"

btw the orginal poster was a chick not a dude

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showt...001#post912001

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.