Need help please!! Focus problems - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Jebus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30349
What I Drive: 2002 Magnum Grey, Duratec St170

FF Reputation: 1 Jebus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Need help please!! Focus problems

Hello All,
I bought my focus coming up on 3 months ago. The car came with a 3 month warranty and thats nearing an end. I have a few issues with the car that I want the lad who sold it to me to sort these problems out before the warranty goes.

Problems:

1) Clutch: When driving along normally, I go to change gears and the clutch feels like it goes kinda dead.....almost like it looses its spring, but it still has it! the clutch only has to come up half way, less than it usually would....and this happens nearly everytime Im driving it.

2)Startoff: When sitting Idol at the lights and the revs are at about 1000. Once the lights go green I go, but it takes the car time to kinda kick in, so it kinda crawls, until the revs get to 2500-3000 revs. But if im sitting at the lights and rev a tiny bit to about 1500-2000 revs, the car tears off.

3)Reverse: Happens the odd time(around 4 times a month, but I drive a lot! I put the car into reverse and it feels like its in reverse, but the car kinda slips outta gear (this is only in reverse).

4)Electric windows: The windows were running fine when i got them, still are.....but ive noticed lately the sound of the window coming back up isnt sounding too healthy....sounds like its getting bursts of electricity at certain points.

5)Front wheels: Sometimes the car slides too easily, other times theres no problems. My mates driven a focus for 6 years now and he said the front tires were a bit worn (this was while driving mine) but when I went to get my wheels balanced, I asked the guy were the tires ok and he said fine.....I'll maybe have to get new tires.

If anyone has any advice, please reply. I dont want to be ripped by this guy, I want to know what im talking about so I can get all these problems sorted before the warrantys up and before all these problems get worse.

Ye's have been great help since the start and I always get great advice.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
tobiastoennies
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31813
FF Reputation: 1 tobiastoennies Good Standing Member
I don't have a focus, but if a focus has a hydraulic clutch (like my cavalier does) then you're probably low on clutch fluid. Just fill it up with brake fluid if it's low. As for your other problems... I have no idea. If it idles rough or runs crappy at low rpms, you may need new plugs or maybe try cleaning your injectors... i dunno.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
InsaneTwig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13764
What I Drive: 2000 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 InsaneTwig Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have a 2000 zetec also and I experience #3 that you described also, no idea what it is. As for #2 I'm pretty sure that it just has to do with the stock TB, I recently purchased & installed a ported stock TB and noticed that it is a lot less sluggish off the line than it was. (I did the 1500 rev thing also when I wanted to shoot off the line)
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
tension001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2278
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red 5sp ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tension001 Good Standing Member
Re: Need help please!! Focus problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Jebus

1) Clutch: When driving along normally, I go to change gears and the clutch feels like it goes kinda dead.....almost like it looses its spring, but it still has it! the clutch only has to come up half way, less than it usually would....and this happens nearly everytime Im driving it.
I would check the fluid. In the focus, the master cylinder for the brakes also controls the hydraulic clutch.

Quote:
2)Startoff: When sitting Idol at the lights and the revs are at about 1000. Once the lights go green I go, but it takes the car time to kinda kick in, so it kinda crawls, until the revs get to 2500-3000 revs. But if im sitting at the lights and rev a tiny bit to about 1500-2000 revs, the car tears off.
Just sounds like the normal focus. It takes a little time to wake up. If i leave a stop light at low rpms mine won't wake up until about 2000-2500 rpm. If i leave it at 2500 rpms i can tear out of the light spinning 1st and 2nd gear.

Quote:
3)Reverse: Happens the odd time(around 4 times a month, but I drive a lot! I put the car into reverse and it feels like its in reverse, but the car kinda slips outta gear (this is only in reverse).
That ones wierd, not sure about that. The only explaination i have there for ya is you don't have it all the way into reverse. Some cars will kick reverse out if its not ALL the way into reverse.

Quote:
4)Electric windows: The windows were running fine when i got them, still are.....but ive noticed lately the sound of the window coming back up isnt sounding too healthy....sounds like its getting bursts of electricity at certain points.
I don't have electric windows, sorry :(

Quote:
5)Front wheels: Sometimes the car slides too easily, other times theres no problems. My mates driven a focus for 6 years now and he said the front tires were a bit worn (this was while driving mine) but when I went to get my wheels balanced, I asked the guy were the tires ok and he said fine.....I'll maybe have to get new tires.
Its possible you need new tires, BUT, its a FWD car and in hard cornering, its going to push and slide. My car will handle a turn great but the harder i push it in the turn the more it starts to push and slide with me.

Hope that helps ya out some.

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille

Bookmarks & Social Networks