race headers - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Floppin27
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31502
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Floppin27 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
race headers

Is it possible to have race headers and a new flex pipe and still use the stock cat and/or pass emmisions. Look at this link from ebay, (buddy got headers from them with no problem and work great). But, they say you can pass emmisions. I'm a little confused. Ebay link doesn't work so here's the item # 8033418285

Can't this wait 'til I'm old? Can't I live while I'm young?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
gump1114
DTF

Fan#: 13164
What I Drive: 04 Neon SRT-4, '96 Eagle Talon

FF Reputation: 6 gump1114 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
race header= no cat which mean you wont pass a visual inspection or a sniffer test. but if they just hook up to your ecu you should be fine if you have an o2 cheater. you can always go with the SVT header and cat. it flows much better than a regular focus header and is legal.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Points 30,246, Level 100
Points: 30,246, Level: 100 Points: 30,246, Level: 100 Points: 30,246, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
part # please.......no direct linking to e-bay

i doubt it.....if these are the same header they a claiming a un-published dyno of 35HP with just the header and flex. the only way your going to legally pass emisions is to get a shorty header and hi-flo cat. or the SVT Header/RT Cat swap for the best possible gains on a header, but it's purdy expensive.

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 01-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
derf0069
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2974
What I Drive: 2000 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 derf0069 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I know it wont pass in California. I took mine to a guy to see if he would smog it, and he said no.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, it depends on what your state inspection consists of. If they just hook up to your OBD diagnostic port, you can pass if you have an O2 cheater or a flash that turns the second HEGO sensor off. Otherwise, if you have a visual inspection or sniffer test, you will fail. Typically, the whole point of race headers is to eliminate the cat. If you want to keep the cat, look at getting an SVT header and SVT cat. You get some of the scavenging help from the SVT long tube header, and keep the emissions in check.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
R1ck 22
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26054
What I Drive: 2002 fort knox zts

FF Reputation: 1 R1ck 22 Good Standing Member
damn smog checks do what i did im in cali running a race headder on my daily driver and its registered in wisconsin oh wait thats cuz im in the military i love wi no smog "cough cough"

mods: spectre cai kamakize hedder mbrp exhaust enki 17's kenwood ddx 7015 kac 7202 and 10'' mtx 5500s c/f oem style hood poison body kit 1.25 drop springs
Old 02-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
cct86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19225
What I Drive: 04 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 cct86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
you can get high flow cats. im a big person for custom exhausts(i dont care how pretty the pipes are) and w/ that you can pass.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9775
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 kenpokid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by lildisco
part # please.......no direct linking to e-bay

i doubt it.....if these are the same header they a claiming a un-published dyno of 35HP with just the header and flex. the only way your going to legally pass emisions is to get a shorty header and hi-flo cat. or the SVT Header/RT Cat swap for the best possible gains on a header, but it's purdy expensive.
purdy expensive? I got mine for 400 bucks ....used...

go with the SVT header + RT cat from McNews Automotive...best choice you could make for modding your car.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by kenpokid
go with the SVT header + RT cat from McNews Automotive...best choice you could make for modding your car.
Only if you have to pass a sniffer or visual inspection test. Otherwise, the best choice is a race header with flex and catback. Nothing like getting rid of needless backpressure.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
kenpokid
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9775
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver ZX3, 1993 Coral Reef Blue 5.0 LX Coupe Mustang, 2005 Windveil Blue V6 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 kenpokid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by zslaton
Only if you have to pass a sniffer or visual inspection test. Otherwise, the best choice is a race header with flex and catback. Nothing like getting rid of needless backpressure.
the RT if anything loses maybe 1-2 hp...nothing you will notice. It flows nicely. If you look inside one you can see out of the other side, that is how well they made to flow. And most states will do the sniffer test, without a doubt.

But if you wanna risk it...Id still go with the SVT header + the RT ORP...the SVT header's design has been proven to keep the torque that you lose with a regular race header and it gives maybe 1-2 hp less hp, in some cases the same hp. Many people will recommend the SVT header on here because it was engineered by Cosworth. And I value torque over hp anyday.

Bookmarks & Social Networks