New Member, Might be purchasing SVT Focus this weekend. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
AliasVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31491
What I Drive: 03 SVT Focus, Motorcycles

FF Reputation: 1 AliasVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Member, Might be purchasing SVT Focus this weekend.

Hey there peoples,
I've got a tossup. Two dealerships are fighting for my business. On the one hand, we have a 02 WRX with 52,000 miles for sale for 15,000 all encompasing, the other we have a 03 SVT focus with 22,000 miles, warentee left, for 13,500. Both of these prices are going to be haggled, but test driving both, I really like the focus feel. I know the WRX will drive circles around it, but the focus looks so much better, and had a better interior. It's hard to not be biased on your own car forum, but can you guys tell me any reasons to buy the SVT focus over the WRX?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Welcome to FocusFanatics.com!

Honestly taking into consideration the 'mileage' and the 'price', I'd go with the focus for sure. It's a great car. A WRX would be awesome but that is alot of mileage and at a better price, a one year newer car with 1/2 the mileage, I'd go focus.....
Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Goat Roper
The Godfather

Fan#: 8634
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Goat Roper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Hmm, good question.

Stock for stock, they are both fine cars. It will really come down to visual attributes since you obviously know the WRX is a much quicker macine.

2 door hatch vs 4 door is the obvious visual difference.

The interior is most definitely nicer in the SVT. If you like your interior comfort, the SVT has that hands down.

The aftermarket for the WRX is huge and making that thing go faster than snot would not be a problem. So if flat out performance isn't your main goal but comfort is, go SVT. If balls-out performance is with a skimpy interior, you have to go WRX.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Well, I have not driven a WRX, I might have test driven one if I could've found one cheaper than $16000, but such was not the case. Certainly faster and, in Vermont, probably a lot better in the snow.

I bought my 04 SVT for 13,975 barely 6 months ago and, as you already know, its an awesome car. If you're looking at reliability, SVTs are hit or miss, some people never have any trouble, but a lot of owners have had fairly serious problems with theirs.

Only specifically bad thing I've heard about the WRX's is that the 5spd mtx has had reliability problems. Also, as I recall, 2002 was the US release year for the WRX, it might be worth looking into reliability concerns specifically in that year. Anybody know any good Subaru forums? The 2000 Focus was apparently a mess compared to later years, but I have high hopes for my 2004's reliability.

Can't really go wrong, used cars are a roll of the dice. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i would think that an 02 wrx might have more WOT, close to redline shifting action... something to think about with reliability and 50,000 miles on the odo if the car hasn't been properly maintained.

on the other hand, I rag on my focus almost daily, and have 58,000 miles without zero problems. I do however do excellent maintainence.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
babyface
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Honestly, the SVT is an awesome car, but unless you're a real performance nut, its not always an easy car to live with daily. It has a harsh suspension, and a load of torque-steer. The transmission also takes some getting used to. And the interior ergonomics and build qaulity are not great, though it does have a lot of amenities and standard features. The WRX is more barebones, but is easier to drive daily. Also , the AWD system rocks, and Subies are built for life. The interior has wonderful ergonomics, and the tranny works wonderfully. They are both wonderfull cars, and we have had great experiences with them. Good luck.
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I personally would have to go with the 4 door, which exceeds the SVT in the performance area as well.

More practical for a family man, and still fun to drive.....although they are not the prettiest cars in the world.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would pay 15,000 dollars for a 4 year old car with 50,000 miles and no warranty, especially when it's low to mid 20's brand new. SVTF in every way shape and form.

You could find a much better deal on a WRX though - and that would make it a better argument.
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
ok... heres my say.. i was lucky enough to drive a buddys wrx sti edition while i was in hs(his daddy bought it for him....) and i have never driven an svt focus, but i have riden in one. if its a question of which one is faster, its obvious the wrx takes it all, it is an AWD car, and im pretty sure it has a turbo. now, think about it, you have an AWD car with a turbo, somethings gotta break, and with it being a turbo, and AWD, its most likely gonna be more expensive. Now, im not saying that the svt wont break if pushed to hard without super matainance(spelling:)) but, the svt has quite a bit more to offer. its got a nicer interior, its lighter, and easier to manuver through daily traffic, and the svt(in my opinoin) looks a hella lot better than any subaru.. not to mention that the subaru doesnt have any warranty time left, and its a high mileage engine, and anyone who has owned a wrx, i can almost guarantee has pushed it hard. again, not to say the focus wasnt pushed hard, but the focus has a LOT less miles, and if anything happens within the warranty time, it will be fixed for free(or close to)

so weigh your options, get a car with no warranty, and no guarantee that it is a solid car, or go with the svt that has a factory warranty, and less miles, and the option to extend the factory warantee...

your choice...

go with the svt!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by eazyrider_tim
I personally would have to go with the 4 door, which exceeds the SVT in the performance area as well.

More practical for a family man, and still fun to drive.....although they are not the prettiest cars in the world.
the only thing an 02 WRX is going to beat an SVTF in is 0-60 unless it has some serious suspension mods and a few aftermarket upgrades. It's a fatass at 3100-3200lbs depending on what options you have. Get into the current generation and it's a whole new ball game though, which again I'll say I think you should be looking for a better deal on.
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->