2003 PZEV Stock CAI - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
kaweahnet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3329
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kaweahnet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 PZEV Stock CAI

2003 PZEV ZX3 comes with a CAI from the factory - just noticed it this weekend. I don't see how it can be improved from the design other than maybe chaning out the filter to a K&N. There is some type of meter that I can see, I can't tell whether it's a moisture bypass or what.

I see a lot of differences between my motor layout and most of the pics online. The most major difference is that my motor is sitting the other way; with the intake forward and the exhaust to the back. Also just installed an alarm this weekend too and the 2002 wiring diagrams don't fit the 2003 exactly, I hope to get an accurate one posted soon. Still can't find the tach sensor though - the wire they say to look for is at the coil and there is no friggin coil in this car!!! I found the color they recommended but the meter tells me it does nothing with RPM changes. Oh well, the whole reason for post is this question:

Has anybody done any improvements on the 2003 Stock CAI that I should be aware of?

2003 Rocket RK-100 80cc Shifterkart (when on the track).
http://www.thekillions.com/dave/phot...0290-thumb.jpg
Performance mods: Marcy Intake.
Interior mods: Lynx 2000 Remote start alarm and aftermarket door locks. 15% Tint (50% on side roll-ups).
Exterior Mods: Motegi FF5 18" wheels & Yokahama Parada Spec 2 tires (215-40/ZR18). H&R 1.4" springs. 5" Super Shorty Billet antenna.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2004, 11:21 AM   #2
kaminari_croc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 577
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 (2.3L) Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 kaminari_croc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
As far as I know you cannot change the filter out of the factory intake, it is completely sealed and to be replaced every 150,000 miles. There are aftermarket CAI's out there, but as for modifying the stock one, I don't think you can do much with that.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
P0WeRbyDuratec
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
why would u want to anyways? If your gunna spend any money, you should at least do it right. Get a real CAI.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
kaweahnet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3329
What I Drive: 2003 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kaweahnet Good Standing Member
Well, because I've heard some pretty big horror stories about CAI's, especially with respect to water intake. I don't want to cause problems if it's not going to give me a decent gain. I just had thought that maybe somebody might have done something to the stock, versus changing from stock CAI (which doesn't look to bad) to an aftermarket CAI.
2003 Rocket RK-100 80cc Shifterkart (when on the track).
http://www.thekillions.com/dave/phot...0290-thumb.jpg
Performance mods: Marcy Intake.
Interior mods: Lynx 2000 Remote start alarm and aftermarket door locks. 15% Tint (50% on side roll-ups).
Exterior Mods: Motegi FF5 18" wheels & Yokahama Parada Spec 2 tires (215-40/ZR18). H&R 1.4" springs. 5" Super Shorty Billet antenna.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Re: 2003 PZEV Stock CAI

Quote:
Originally posted by kaweahnet
2003 PZEV ZX3 comes with a CAI from the factory - just noticed it this weekend. I don't see how it can be improved from the design other than maybe chaning out the filter to a K&N. There is some type of meter that I can see, I can't tell whether it's a moisture bypass or what.

I see a lot of differences between my motor layout and most of the pics online. The most major difference is that my motor is sitting the other way; with the intake forward and the exhaust to the back. Also just installed an alarm this weekend too and the 2002 wiring diagrams don't fit the 2003 exactly, I hope to get an accurate one posted soon. Still can't find the tach sensor though - the wire they say to look for is at the coil and there is no friggin coil in this car!!! I found the color they recommended but the meter tells me it does nothing with RPM changes. Oh well, the whole reason for post is this question:

Has anybody done any improvements on the 2003 Stock CAI that I should be aware of?
That meter you see on the factory intake measures pressure drop across the filter. It is a completely sealed system (for emissions reasons) designed for 150,000 miles of normal use (whatever that is) but if it starts to clog sooner, that meter will show red. The factory filter cannot be replaced except as an entire intake unit.

The Duratech 2.3 liter engine in the PZEV car is turned around, you are correct, vs. a 2.0 liter Zetec. Completely different animal.

I am not surprised the '02 wiring diagrams don't match the '03 PZEV very well. Completely different animal, as I said. It's not just a different engine mechanically, but the ECU is completely different as well.

You are correct, it doesn't have "a" friggin coil. It has four. One for each plug, located right in the plug cap. It is called C.O.P. for coil-on-plug ignition. I don't know how to connect a tach, but it's possible that you can't. The wire you would look for on a conventional ignition is the one being switched by the igniter module. The C.O.P. system has basically four separate igniter modules. You could easily locate one of the igniter signals to one of the four coils, but, that signal would be 1/4 as fast as you want.

I haven't heard anyone on this forum discussing mods to the factor intake - Marcy, Focus Central, and Focus Sport seem to be the popular aftermarket options.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
guerro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
Re: 2003 PZEV Stock CAI

Quote:

Had you given any thought to maybe doing a search of the PZEV section of this very forum ?? May want to look into it. I hear it is all the rage these days.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #7
turbo989
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2869
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus 2.3L PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 turbo989 Good Standing Member
I want to first off give major props to the CAI by Marcy. I have had it for 2 months now and it is awesome. The Horsepower gains are close to 10FWHP...how much more horses do you want to get from a Intake bud? 10WHP is hella hard to get in any other car. You'd be lucky to get 10WHP from an intake in a civic.

Anyways, about the water problem...walter created his CAI so you can use your OEM splash guard with it. The slash guard will protect your CAI intake from sucking up water. Just as long you don't decide to plunge your front end into a lake anyways. Also...if you are still skeptical about it....by the AEM bypass valve and slap that on there along with your splash guard just to be safe. Anyways...those are just my suggestions.

I dunno anything about the electrical system you are trying to do...I just installed my sound system so I am sorry I Cannot help ya there!
But more the driver.
Control, experience, and technique
Is what will win your race.

·•¤^v¤ Turbo989 ¤^v¤•·
Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
kaminari_croc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 577
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 (2.3L) Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 kaminari_croc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Well, because I've heard some pretty big horror stories about CAI's, especially with respect to water intake. I don't want to cause problems if it's not going to give me a decent gain. I just had thought that maybe somebody might have done something to the stock, versus changing from stock CAI (which doesn't look to bad) to an aftermarket CAI.
Whats a decent gain? I would say that the 8-10 whp you get from this is pretty decent.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
P0WeRbyDuratec
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
a bypass valve will fit and work with the Marcy???? does anyone have that?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The big gains you get from an aftermarket CAI is you are replacing the restrictuve factory parts with free-er flowing parts. If you are worried about water, keep the splash gaurd on, and don't submerge the bumper.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.