87 and 89 octane gasoline - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
magicleo2120
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8683
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Gray ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 magicleo2120 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
87 and 89 octane gasoline

can i use 89 on my 87octane car?... i ask is because when my fren puts 89 we fight over it like xrazy... and also i ask is because when i was putting chevron 87 in my car the other day. i saw a this little asian guy (I have nothing w/asian's) putting 91 into his scion xb. he was all stock looking...

PIAA headlights & window wipers, Silverstar turn signals, clear OBX side markers, ST grille and ST fog-light bezels, white LED dome light, blacked out tail lights, debadged, MBRP exhaust, Focus Sport CAI, Focus Central front strut bar, Pioneer DEH-P6700MP CD player, Pioneer 3-way & 4-way speakers, 2 Kenwood 10"s, Dual Amp (2 channel), 5% 2xrear tint, 5% 1xfront, Eibach Sportline suspension w/ Pro dampers and more to cum...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Godzukidan
ELVIS LIVES !

Fan#: 20925
What I Drive: 05 ZX3, 95 T-Bird V8, 2012 Stang V6

FF Reputation: 5 Godzukidan Good Standing Member
Your Focus computer is set up to run 87 oct gas. You can run 89 oct, but you will not feel any performance or gas mileage gains. So save yourself some money and stick with the 87. Now if you decide to get a tune and ad some performance parts to your car, the tune may call for a higher oct gas. Alot of performance cars need higher oct gas because of how the computer is set up. I know that the SVT Focus's call for 91 oct gas or higher, and the 87 oct would make them run like garbage. So I would stick with the 87 oct for your car. I would also use some fuel injector cleaner every 300 miles or every oil change. This keep your motor running clean and strong. I hope this helps you out.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
2K5 FOCUS ST
Banned

Fan#: 20193
What I Drive: 05 Focus ST/99 Dodge Intrepid

FF Reputation: 1 2K5 FOCUS ST Good Standing Member
Re: 87 and 89 octane gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by magicleo2120
. i saw a this little asian guy (I have nothing w/asian's) putting 91 into his scion xb
Your asking this just because you saw some dude pumping 91 oct on a scion??
I did see some German guy putting 91octane in his BMW the other day
Old 01-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
EricR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21957
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 EricR Good Standing Member
Re: Re: 87 and 89 octane gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by 2K5 FOCUS ST
Your asking this just because you saw some dude pumping 91 oct on a scion??
I did see some German guy putting 91octane in his BMW the other day
Uh, maybe he's wondering if the Scion guy knows something he doesn't?
Uh, maybe that a stock Scion doesn't seem very different to him from his car?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
magicleo2120
Focus Addict

Re: Re: Re: 87 and 89 octane gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by EricR
Uh, maybe he's wondering if the Scion guy knows something he doesn't?
Uh, maybe that a stock Scion doesn't seem very different to him from his car?
i was just simply asking because i saw that scion guy putting 91 in his car and thought to myself... wow 91 on a scion when it only requires 87 like mine.

thanks!!!
PIAA headlights & window wipers, Silverstar turn signals, clear OBX side markers, ST grille and ST fog-light bezels, white LED dome light, blacked out tail lights, debadged, MBRP exhaust, Focus Sport CAI, Focus Central front strut bar, Pioneer DEH-P6700MP CD player, Pioneer 3-way & 4-way speakers, 2 Kenwood 10"s, Dual Amp (2 channel), 5% 2xrear tint, 5% 1xfront, Eibach Sportline suspension w/ Pro dampers and more to cum...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #6
2K5 FOCUS ST
Banned

Fan#: 20193
What I Drive: 05 Focus ST/99 Dodge Intrepid

FF Reputation: 1 2K5 FOCUS ST Good Standing Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 and 89 octane gasoline

Quote:
Originally posted by magicleo2120
i was just simply asking because i saw that scion guy putting 91 in his car and thought to myself... wow 91 on a scion when it only requires 87 like mine.

thanks!!!
You would be surprise how many people actually pump higher octane then whats really recommended, some people think their car would benefit from this.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
magicleo2120
Focus Addict

i know like my friend for example. her dad told her to use 89 becuase her sister was using 87 onher bmw. figures
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
On a low mileage vehicle higher octane will have no effect.

On higher mileage vehicles it might, as octane requirements for engines generally increase over time due to carbon buildup and deposits in the engine. In the old days it was quite easy to tell when higher octane would help, as you could hear the pinging. Nowadays engine management computers are generally smart enough to detect detonation and retard the spark such that you lose a bit of HP and cannot tell that the octane is lower than the engine wants.

So if you've got 100,000 miles on a Focus, you might get better performance using higher octane than recommended.

Might.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
elliottcarlose
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11597
What I Drive: 2000 Green ZX3, 2003 CBR 954 and now a 06 C-dan

FF Reputation: 1 elliottcarlose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
agree with penguin on that my sport trac has started to ping on lower octane gas. You can't time it as it is computer controlled. I changed the plugs and wires which didn't help. But when I put 92 in it it stopped and sounded fine it has 92,000 miles on the 4.0 v6

Sounds =2-12 Fosgate PS1, 1 Fosgate 5002 500watts RMS, 4 Fosgate door speakers, 1 Pioneer in dash dvd/monitor

GO 4-2-1 race header, complete cat back, SRI, and svt suspension
Old 01-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
"my sport trac has started to ping"

Try some of the "deposit remover" gasoline additive stuff, such as the Gumout or Techron Engine Cleaner that specifies it reduces engine deposits.

It's not magic by any means, but for $4-5 it's worth a shot as I have had some limited success using it on high mileage cars, e.g., on 2 of the 5 I have used it on, it has stopped or significantly reduced the pinging.

If you do try it, let us know if it works for you.

P.S. I have a 1992 Explorer with 196,000 miles on it. I've used a deposit cleaner every 10,000 miles or so. It doesn't ping on Regular 87 Octane gasoline. Of course, right now it is disabled in the driveway as there appears to be a major brake fluid leak on the left side mid-vehicle. I suspect the brake line from the fron to the rear has rusted out and needs replaced. But not until the snow is gone and it warms up a bit.

Last edited by penguin; 01-24-2006 at 09:09 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks