Lentech install with pics - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
waterboy

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Lentech install with pics

This is yout transmission pan. If this object is foreign to you, please put away the tools!

Next, loosen all of the bolts, then remove all but the front corners. This allows the trans. fluid to run into the pan and drip into the collection pan. No mess.

Remove your fluid temp sensor (seen hanging by the yellow wires), and your filter. At this time it would be good to make a wire color schematic for the install of the new VB.

Open your Lentech box and check out your new VB

If you haven't already, NOW would be the time for the schematic! Unbolt the center bolt holding on your ground strap. The GS is the blue and green eyelets in the middle of the VB. Then loosen and remove the 13 bolts holding the VB in place. When the VB drops down, make note of the pawl on the backside of the VB and it's location. You'll need to reinsert the pawl into the forks when you install the new VB. Also, be aware that two pistons will drop down from the underside of the VB as you lower it. They appear to be slightly differing bore sizes so ither than noting their location and that the pistons face down you will be fine.

Compare your OEM VB (right) with your new VB

Clean your pan of all olf gasket material, fluid, and any foreign debris. If you want the RTV sealer to cure for a bit before you install the pan, now would be a good time to lay a bead on the pan and set it aside.

Clean the mating surface of your trans case as well. I used a copper "toothbrush" so I didn't mar the aluminum surfaces. If you look between the dipstick marker (yellow) and the manual shift rod you will see the fork where the pawl needs to go as described previously.

These are the pistons that drop down when you lower the VB. As you can see, one set of springs is smaller than the other. The thinner set of springs are the neutral/drive springs and go into the bore closest to the center. The second set of springs/piston are your 1-2 shift piston/spring set and go into the bore closer to the outside corner.

OK, here's the FUN part! Insert the springs/pistons, align the VB, AND start a bolt at the same time. After you start a second bolt you can relax for a bit and let the blood come back to your arms. The reinstall the remaining 11 bolts.

Reinstall your wiring according to your schematic. Install your filter and temp sensor.

Install your pan, using RTV as a sealer. As far as I know, there are no gaskets for the pan. I have had mine off over 10 times and never had a problem using RTV. Let the RTV cure for a bit, then fill her up and go for a ride.

it's really easy to do. It took me about 2.0 hours to do, including the pictures. Be prepared with RTV, a copper "toothbrush" to clean the aluminum mating surfaces, and a 10mm socket/wrench and you're on your way. Mercon V is the recommended trans fluid. The torque for the VB is 80 INCH pounds, and the pan is at 62 INCH pounds. ENJOY!

Last edited by waterboy; 01-17-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Hey, I am gonna make these pics just pop up when it loads.

It looks like a easy job man, thanks for the install pics!!

Jon
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)

Last edited by focusin; 01-16-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
TriniZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18601
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TriniZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
let us know how you like it. Did you only get a new valvebody or what?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
dang looks good, and its that easy, maybe if i get extra cash, and when the tranny goes..if it does, then ill have to get me one of them
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Focus Racer S2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14203
What I Drive: 2002 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Focus Racer S2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
that easy. man if it's that easy I think I may buy one and mount it my self.
<---<<Zetec Crew #66 / ATX Faction #21>>-->
To modify or not to modify ? ? ? That is the question right now ! ! !
Old 01-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
waterboy

Damn, text didn't import with pics. If you want me to do a write-up, I will gladly do so. I tried two times already, but there apparently was a surge in users and I kept getting booted and i gave up.

Yes, I only got the VB. Alto makes a direct clutch power pack, and as a compliment to it Lentech makes a torque converter. The Street Terminator VB , according to Chris @ Lentech will hold most mods, and even boost up to around 6-7 psi. That's good enough for me until I get the turbo installed and tuned.

Now I'm the kind of guy who ports his own head and intake manifold, so this was relatively simple for me. If you have decent mechanical aptitude you can do this install as well.

Jim
Old 01-16-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
FPLF0043
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16726
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4 SES, ATX

FF Reputation: 1 FPLF0043 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
One question I do have, I have heard that the torque converter is the weakest link in the ATX, so if I upgraded the TQ converter and Valve body, how much power do you feel it could handle and be a good daily driver

I am buying Waynes tune for the ATX here in the near future.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
focuson03
Formerly Focused

Fan#: 556
What I Drive: 2007 Galaxy Gray Mazda3 GT

FF Reputation: 1 focuson03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
looks good Jim, if you don't mind how much did that end up running you? i'm gonna eventually end up lookin into a new VB and probably a TQ converter as well, but i'm not too sure I'd want to attempt the install myself or not. . .

-Josh
Old 01-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
waterboy

I hear ya on the TC. It is the weak link, but my conversation with Chris @ Lentech was that while the TC is needed for higher power adders it isn't a necessity for mild stuff. By higher power adders he was talking like anything over 6-7 pounds of boost or nitrous. I will be adding the Alto kit and the TC in the future, but as of right now I don't really need it. I will be installing the turbo soon, and I'll run modest boost pressuresfor now. According to Chris, the trans, as is now, will take it.

focuson03: You buy it and I'll install it. Deal? Mind you I have never done a TC before. Since you're going to have to drop the trans to do the TC, you may as well install the Alto kit while you're at it. If that is the case, I'd prefer a pro do it anyway. Tell them to add a fourth disk to the direct clutch and you're golden. I think my invoice was for $475, give or take a bit. Shipping from Canada kills, and there is a $50 core charge.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
waterboy

And just so you know: BEST money I have spent so far!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks