Do we want the new Purolator Pureone Air Filter for the Focus? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 AM   #1
Jibberish18
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 644
FF Reputation: 1 Jibberish18 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Do we want the new Purolator Pureone Air Filter for the Focus?

Of course we do! Only problem is it is not out for the Ford Focus yet. A fellow Focus owner emailed them a few days back and according to them they will make the filter as demand increases for it. That being said we were hoping that everyone could email a fellow named TOM at Purolator and demand that they make the Pureone Air Filters for our cars!

Email: tom.duvall@arvinmeritor.com

I've already bought 2 filters. One for my sisters 98 Expedition and one for my girlfriends 2003 Maxima. They're a little more expensive but if they perform as well as Purolator claims (which I fully believe they do) then they are more than worth it to me. My sisters filter did need changing but her car's idle smoothed out completely and feels nice on the butt dyno. Minor observations.

They seem to use the same technology as the new AMSOIL Ea air filters (Haven't confirmed this). The differences seem to be that AMSOIL is re-usable and the Pureone is disposable although the Pureone is rated to last twice as long as the PremiumPlus Air Filters and is about half the price in some instancles as the AMSOIL Ea air filters.

AMSOIL Ea filter info found HERE!

Purolator Pureone Air Filter info found HERE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
ouikikazz
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
why not just invest in a K&N that has proven gains and is rechargable
Old 01-15-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
chrselmore
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30270
What I Drive: 2005 9-3 Arc Convertible (black), 2004 Focus ZX3 (black), 2005 Factory Five GTM (black)

FF Reputation: 1 chrselmore Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For the money I would get the K&N, instead of buying filters over and over.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
WagonHO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14540
What I Drive: 06 Frontier V6; 09 V-Strom 650

FF Reputation: 1 WagonHO Good Standing Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chrselmore
For the money I would get the K&N, instead of buying filters over and over. [/QUOTE

Exactly. And for the performance of the filter itself!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
Tacos
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27929
What I Drive: Black Mica Mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 1 Tacos Good Standing Member
a percalator? tea? Im in.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
K&N uses the oldest technology of the group. K&N is the gorilla of the group. K&N has spent more money marketing over the years than any other performance air filter manufacturer. K&N has been used by more performance minded enthusiasts than any other filter. With all this "household" name worthiness of K&N, why go with anything else?

Well, for one, K&N air filters have been surpassed in filtering ability, and flow.
ITG comes to mind. The problem here is the little known better technology filters can't get the word out. The investment to challenge K&N from a marketing perspective is hugh. So these better filters sell fewer, don't get the
notoriety, and sit in the shadows of the big one.

Last time I checked, it's called an air filter. The engineering design and construction determines the effectiveness. The K&N design may be the highest flowing filter out there, but certainly not the cleanest. Air filtration is extremely important as is air flow efficiency. I might be willing to trade a hp or two for greater filtering efficiency. Yet today, this is not necessary. We have better filters to choose from. There's little if any trade off in performace.

Knocking existing and new entries into the performance air filter market is short sited. Why settle for less, when you can have better? Options aren't a bad idea either. K&N has too much investment in their design to change. By changing to newer technology, the king would concede it's mutimillion dollar decades long marketing investment in branding, and give the little guys the credibility they long for.....the market share would then be diluted. Plus, K&N would have to begin to change over there whole line....thousands of fitments,
at an enormous cost.

Why am I so critical of K&N? Because they have done little to improve there product for decades. Now that there are, and have been, better products available, they continue their impressionist marketing campaigning of an inferior product. And yet, the masses fall in line like zombies behind the pied piper with the biggest flute.

If you want cutting edge, open your eyes to today's technology....not yesterdays. Oiled up cotton gauze is old school.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
jaimz
my car breaks!

Fan#: 23734
What I Drive: 02 silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 jaimz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
the purolator pure one is an OIL FILTER, not an air filter, and i'd buy one, i always look to see if thier out when i get my oil filter.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
HotRodWagon
CostraNostraTabasco

Fan#: 145
What I Drive: 02 Infra ZTW

FF Reputation: 25 HotRodWagon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (38)
Quote:
Originally posted by jaimz22
the purolator pure one is an OIL FILTER, not an air filter, and i'd buy one, i always look to see if thier out when i get my oil filter.

If you read the first post, you will see this link for the air filter.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
ouikikazz
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 6707
What I Drive: 2k2 Infra-Red SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ouikikazz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally posted by HotRodWagon
K&N uses the oldest technology of the group. K&N is the gorilla of the group. K&N has spent more money marketing over the years than any other performance air filter manufacturer. K&N has been used by more performance minded enthusiasts than any other filter. With all this "household" name worthiness of K&N, why go with anything else?

Well, for one, K&N air filters have been surpassed in filtering ability, and flow.
ITG comes to mind. The problem here is the little known better technology filters can't get the word out. The investment to challenge K&N from a marketing perspective is hugh. So these better filters sell fewer, don't get the
notoriety, and sit in the shadows of the big one.

Last time I checked, it's called an air filter. The engineering design and construction determines the effectiveness. The K&N design may be the highest flowing filter out there, but certainly not the cleanest. Air filtration is extremely important as is air flow efficiency. I might be willing to trade a hp or two for greater filtering efficiency. Yet today, this is not necessary. We have better filters to choose from. There's little if any trade off in performace.

Knocking existing and new entries into the performance air filter market is short sited. Why settle for less, when you can have better? Options aren't a bad idea either. K&N has too much investment in their design to change. By changing to newer technology, the king would concede it's mutimillion dollar decades long marketing investment in branding, and give the little guys the credibility they long for.....the market share would then be diluted. Plus, K&N would have to begin to change over there whole line....thousands of fitments,
at an enormous cost.

Why am I so critical of K&N? Because they have done little to improve there product for decades. Now that there are, and have been, better products available, they continue their impressionist marketing campaigning of an inferior product. And yet, the masses fall in line like zombies behind the pied piper with the biggest flute.

If you want cutting edge, open your eyes to today's technology....not yesterdays. Oiled up cotton gauze is old school.
unforutnately ITG costs an arm and leg and i can't even pick it up locally. Dont get me wrong purlator and other companys are good at filtration, but for me i want more air flow...hence why i have a Pipercross viper CAI (screw stock airbox) and the filter design is very similar to ITGs i beleive (in my CAI). But K&N has been proven to provide better air flow over the years hence why whenever someone asks me what to get i just tell them K&N there are too many other brands to filter out (haha i made a funny)
Old 01-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
chrselmore
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30270
What I Drive: 2005 9-3 Arc Convertible (black), 2004 Focus ZX3 (black), 2005 Factory Five GTM (black)

FF Reputation: 1 chrselmore Good Standing Member
ITG probably is a better filter, but name one store in my town that has them. None. I occassionaly like to buy my stuff in a local store.

Bookmarks & Social Networks