SVT tranny on my zx3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
DJYoshaBYD
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29234
What I Drive: 91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - White

FF Reputation: 1 DJYoshaBYD Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT tranny on my zx3

will a svt tranny and maybe axles fit on my 2.3 duratec (2003 zx3)? I can get one and I think it would be savage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm not sure if the duratec has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the zetec. do some research. if it's the same bolt pattern, then yes, you can bolt it in.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Just curious, why do you want one? If your car isn't putting out a lot of power, it's going to make your Focus feel even slower since the gears are taller. The stock 5-spd is sufficient for everyday driving and autocross.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally posted by ilcowil
If your car isn't putting out a lot of power, it's going to make your Focus feel even slower since the gears are taller. The stock 5-spd is sufficient for everyday driving and autocross.
Just curious, but how can you say the gears are taller? Sure the first gear is rather tall in the Getrag, I'll agree there. However, the 5-speed runs lower rpms in top gear than the Getrag.

I wouldn't say the Getrag would make it 'slower'. It will make the launches slower (bad for quarter mile), but you'll keep the revs up better with the Getrag (better for road courses).

IMO, it isn't worth swapping the mtx75 for the Getrag. You'll be better off swapping the SVT engine and tranny.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Unless you're running the car as a track car specifically, you'll almost never use the 5th or 6th gear of the Getrag for racing. The 5-speed should be geared a little lower than the Getrag (and not just in first), which will ultimately make the car accelerate faster since the gearing is better. If the Getrag can reach 40mph in first and 70mph in second, what do you need four more gears for when the power of the car cannot even push it fast enough to utilize the gearing of the six speed? The shorter gears of the 5-speed make it easier for the engine to accelerate the car than the taller gears of the six speed, which will in turn make the car faster or slower. Fifth gear is an economy gear in a sense. Even though it may be lower than the Getrag's final gear, it doesn't mean all gears are lower. It was most likely geared for fuel economy. Don't forget that the RS Focus uses the 5-speed as well, and I will bet Cosworth didn't just forget about that component when tuning the RS.

I'll say this, on an autocross course, I think the MTX-75 transmission would be better. On a race track, the Getrag would probably be better. You just don't really utilize the effectiveness of the Getrag until you've built substantial speed.

I would agree about an engine swap with the transmission. The Getrag is geared for the Zetec (even though it is too tall, the gearing is set up to hit certain points in the powerband), which would probably make the Duratec feel out of its powerband or oddly placed at times.

We need to get the gear ratios for the MTX-75 and a dyno graph on the Duratec to see how well the two would or would not work if mated together. That would give us a better answer than sort of guessing as to how well it will or won't perform.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
jaykirs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13947
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-Red ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jaykirs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think you need to consider your RPM redline as well. The SVT has a 7200 RPM redline stock and if I'm not mistaken the Getrag is geared to take advantage of the higher RPM levels of the SVT and I don't think the 2.3 could make full use of that gearing. Just a thought.
04 SVTF #204 of 1978
SVT Squad #66

Understeer scares the driver, oversteer scares the passenger.

Bookmarks & Social Networks