Big Suspension Problem You Should All Be Aware Of!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30613
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3, 2000 Dodge Durango

FF Reputation: 5 cbrenn71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Big Suspension Problem You Should All Be Aware Of!!!

it was brought to my attention today that there is a major problem with the focus rear suspension.

i took my zx3 into the dealership i used to work at today because of diagonal wear to the rear tires. the car has 29k on it and is a month out of warranty.

my good friend looked at it, and said you have an alignment problem. he went on to say that the springs on all the focus models have seemed to settle down to much over time, and have caused the tires to become tilted inwards towards the car at the top. this is because the upper control arms are not long enough, and because they are not adjustable, there is no way to get the car back into specs.

so, next i asked, what is ford doing about this. he said they developed a kit last year that includes longer upper control arms to correct this issue, however, even though the kit was released in 04, the 05 models still have the same upper control arms as the 00-04's, which means that ford has overlooked this problem and not corrected it.

ford is not willing to work with me on this issue, as i am the second owner of the car, and they say that they have no idea how the car was treated before my purchase, which is B.S, because Ford is aware of the problem, and i feel it should be a recall or program. They are aware of the prblem but are not willing to correct it. I see this the same as putting in a transmission that they know is defective and expecting the owner to pick up the tab.

Anyone else have this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
1sloho
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well my suspension isnt stock anymore so. would a camber kit help??
Old 01-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Kaduku
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21422
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 Liquid Grey Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 Kaduku Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
camber kit is for front isn't it? How about buy new control arm?

Japanese Engine, European Model, American Designed, Mexican made, Michigan/Wisconsin Manufactured = FORD FOCUS
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
jmotank
"Party Pic WHORE"

Fan#: 10320
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 jmotank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
no, camber kit isn't just for the front. nissan had a similar situation with the 350z. but it had to do with camber settings. they recalled and reset camber as well as giving new sets of tires.
ST crew #29
team DURATEC #53
MBRP exhaust, SRI, BFG G-Force sports, Steeda STS, painted stock rims, 1 12" diamond audio D6 sub, 3201T audiobahn amp, JVC headunit, Kicker 6X8's, 2 Farad cole cap, FC front strut bar, under body LED kit
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21768
What I Drive: 2.3 ZX3 and 78' Camaro Z/28

FF Reputation: 1 Zyghot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaduku
camber kit is for front isn't it? How about buy new control arm?
No, they also sell rear camber bolts for our cars. How bad is the tilt on your vehicle? Is there any way you can post pictures of it?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

Damn you barely beat me to the reply jmotank. If the camber is off by alot you might just have to buy new control arms.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #7
jmotank
"Party Pic WHORE"

Fan#: 10320
What I Drive: 2005 pitch black zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 jmotank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
lol. gots to be quick!! j/k
ST crew #29
team DURATEC #53
MBRP exhaust, SRI, BFG G-Force sports, Steeda STS, painted stock rims, 1 12" diamond audio D6 sub, 3201T audiobahn amp, JVC headunit, Kicker 6X8's, 2 Farad cole cap, FC front strut bar, under body LED kit
Old 01-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #8
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

the new kit redesigned by ford is basically just longer control arms.
i can try and take pictures tommorow. it is a noticable difference in the way that the tires sit leaned in. i am unaware of a camber kit that can correct it.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

the toe, according to the master mech. is off by more than 1 degree when they see this problem. he said he's seen several with this problem, and the only fix is the new control arms.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #10
Zyghot
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jmotank
lol. gots to be quick!! j/k
I thought I was, but not enough . Oh well. cbrenn71, Would you be able to get pics of the kit that is said to fix this problem?

Bookmarks & Social Networks