what can happen when crank pulley goes loose? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
03FOCUZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7146
What I Drive: 2003,infra red,zx3

FF Reputation: 1 03FOCUZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what can happen when crank pulley goes loose?

i bought a FS pulley a couple of days ago and i guess i didnt tighting hard enough and now the car wont start up.it does feel like it wants to.i know for sure is the pulley.but i want to know what else can happen.help anybody?

{fs wires,aem cold air, spin tech muffler with 2.5 piping,,kyb adjustables,sprint 2 inch lowering springs , steeda short shifter,FS front and rear strut,Xcal 2 clared cat.many more to come.cant wait to boossst.

{ZETEC crew MEMBER 82}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
GregsWhiteFocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1223
What I Drive: 2002 Silver Honda Civic Si

FF Reputation: 1 GregsWhiteFocus Good Standing Member
It may slip and make the timing jump off? That is my guess...Someone will tell me if I am wrong.

Reading that you say the car "wants" to start up, the timing might already be off.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
fallacious_focus
This Rabbit is slow

Fan#: 18493
What I Drive: 2008 VW Rabbit S

FF Reputation: 20 fallacious_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
the crank pully powers the accessories, and at least from what i could tell when i replaced mine last week has no affect on the timing. i could be dead wrong though.

since theres already an open thread now about udp problems i have a question of my own. i tightened everything back down as tight as i could (with an impact mind you) and i am getting a really nasty screeching noise occasionally now. though it only seems to happen under increased load on the alternator, such as headlights/foglights and stereo on. if i turn of my headlights the sound immediately goes away...not sure what is going on.

Sarcasm? Never heard of it.
Playing the devils advocate, just to piss you off.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
03FOCUZ
Focus Enthusiast

i dont think the pulley has anything to do witht the timing but about the noise u might have tighten it up a bit too much or its just that u took the stock harmonic silencer off(stock pulley).thats my guess,but i dont think i messed anything up,i think its just that pulley is just loose,but u never know,but help is always needed.
{fs wires,aem cold air, spin tech muffler with 2.5 piping,,kyb adjustables,sprint 2 inch lowering springs , steeda short shifter,FS front and rear strut,Xcal 2 clared cat.many more to come.cant wait to boossst.

{ZETEC crew MEMBER 82}
Old 01-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
GregsWhiteFocus
Focus Fanatic

The crank and cam gears both affect the timing. They need to be aligned properly at TDC (top dead center)
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,457, Level 100
Points: 50,457, Level: 100 Points: 50,457, Level: 100 Points: 50,457, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
The bottom pulley does nothing about the timing BUT behind the pulley you have the cogged drive for the cam timing belt, Depending on how loose the pulley go your keyway could of come off but you would just about have to loose your pulley all togather

When the bottom pulley is loose it can spin and you water pump wont turn and the engine can run VERY hot. Did you run hot why this was going on?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 01-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #7
GregsWhiteFocus
Focus Fanatic

Well, I was partially right but mostly wrong.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
03FOCUZ
Focus Enthusiast

no it was not runnig hot at all. i was just pulling out of the gas station and and i reved it up till about 5,600 and then the car started to die and when i stoped to c what was wrong,te car died and it didnt want to start.it wants to start but its missing something,im gonna tighten the pulley tomm with an impact gun and ill tell u guys what happen

{ZETEC crew MEMBER 82}
Old 01-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
homegrown2nr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28279
What I Drive: 2010 F150 SuperCrew XLT

FF Reputation: 1 homegrown2nr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
If you tighten it with an impact gun it shouldn't come off.

Alot of times people do not put the belt on and recheck after the car was run. It's real easy to miss a tooth on one of the pulleys. Also check to make sure your not rubbing on the non-moving part of the tensioner.

I think your starting problem is a battery one. You might not be charging the battery all the way for 2 possible reasons. You need to get a tune to raise the idle to compesnate for the UDP or the belt is off on the ALT.

+

Also if you crank pulley was loose you could increase the wear on your belt with would cause a friction squeek and a slipping on the accessories (ALT,A/C,H20).

Looking for the following: XCal2, 2xDiablosport MAFia, 2x Quality BOV & Wastegate, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter 00-02, 24mm RSB, Rear SVT Brake Kit, Driver side VF, and more ... PM ME!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
03FOCUZ
Focus Enthusiast

well i tighten the bolt of the pulley.at first it kinda hesitated then it idled and turned off.but then i moved the car by foot a little bit and started the car and then it was fine. it ran good the it suppose to and i revd it a couple times that night pretty hard and nothing happen that was the good thing!but it went good and nothing is wrong at all,well i hope so

{ZETEC crew MEMBER 82}

Bookmarks & Social Networks