Things you can't get at Home Depot... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
cbo_and21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23405
What I Drive: '02 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cbo_and21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Things you can't get at Home Depot...

I'm currently in the process of modifying my stock Audiophile box in my SVT to fit a nice 10" sub. I needed a small amount of MDF for a few pieces in the modification (ring to mount the sub to and something that fiberglass will stick to to cover up the gaping home I cut).

So...I go to Home Depot last night. The only size MDF they carry is 4' x 8'. WAY too big to fit in my Focus, and they were hesitant to cut the MDF due to health risks. This size sheet is ~$25.

So today...I call Lowe's which is about a 40 minute drive from the house. The guy in the "lumber department" tell me that...YES they have MDF in smaller sheets...a couple of sizes actually. So I make the drive in a gas eating F-150 and what do I find? They, like Home Depot, only have the huge sheets of MDF. The guy on the phone got MDF and particle board mixed up.....hrmmmmm....makes you wonder.

So - moral of the story: If you need MDF....be prepared to buy a 4' x 8' (that's 32 square feet) and be prepared to haul it home yourself. Nobody sells anything smaller, and the stores will only cut it if there are no store managers watching.

Also, I'm installing some sound dampening material in my car. I got the RAAMaudio BXT 60 stuff (supposedly the best). I went to Home Depot/Lowe's looking for one of those rollers w/ a hard end to spread the material out. As had come to be expected, they were nowhere to be found and nobody could point me in the right direction.

So, I bought one used for paint rolling...and I'm planning on just dipping the cloth part in fiberglass resin and maybe putting a few layers of fiberglass down...then covering it in tape. The poor man's way!

So - moral of the story: buy the roller from crutchfield or some other cheap place. I'll let you know how the custom roller works out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
DJsYellowZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21712
What I Drive: 2001 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 DJsYellowZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
find a cabinet hardware supply shop. ask for a contact cement roller.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
hondaluver
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28163
What I Drive: silver 03 hatch-my baby

FF Reputation: 1 hondaluver Good Standing Member
i get my mdf cut at home depot all the time...thats weird...but i usually need all the wood so im fine with it. The reason they dont sell small sheets is because most people dont do small projects with mdf, and it isnt cost effective...youd probably spend $15 for a smaller sheet so thats why they make huge sheets and cut them for you...which is weird why they didnt cut yours but...hope your box turns out good

The more you live, the more you learn

Check out the new pics!!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
that is very weird...
I got my MDF cut in 4 sheets for easy loading into the focus.

and 4' x 8' was way less than $20. (at lowes)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
WagonHO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14540
What I Drive: 06 Frontier V6; 09 V-Strom 650

FF Reputation: 1 WagonHO Good Standing Member
Bigger is better. Just suck it up and by the 4' x 8'. You'll eventually use it all up.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
fspeed
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21082
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Grey ZX3/ 97 dodge ram

FF Reputation: 1 fspeed Good Standing Member
I thought MDF was cancerous or something like that when it was cut and the dust was inhaled. I know that there is some kind of health risk in it, thats why they wont cut it. Sounds like the roller might work out, good idea. Good luck on the box.
Zetec Crew #13
cruisin' low n' slow
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
that is such bull..

Yes MDF is hazardous to health because it has resin in it.
However, Lowes or Home Depot pose zero health risks because there's usually an 8" vacuum duct right behind that big blade that sucks up like 99% of the dust.

the only one at risk is the one cutting the board, and of course he will be wearing gloves and a mask.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
back in black
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
haha, ya thats pretty stupid. Every store that carries that product has to also have an MSDS (material saftey data sheet?) on hand that says the proper way to handle it, and would list the saftey requirements for cutting it, such as the type of resperitory mask, gloves etc. Of course the stuff can be cut, just sounds to me like they were too lazy to do it the proper way...

Bookmarks & Social Networks