UDP Vote-Worth it or Worthless? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
TainOE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28520
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: -18 TainOE Needs To Improve
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
UDP Vote-Worth it or Worthless?

I am considering changing the pulleys on my Zetec. I have been reading many different opinions on the subject.

I just wanted to take a vote. Worth it or worthless?

Let the voting begin!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
zx34me
Focus Revolution

Fan#: 12063
What I Drive: 2000/zx3/infared/atx & 96 dodge neo

FF Reputation: 1 zx34me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
i have the fc 2pc kit and the car has a noticeable difference in driveabilty, revs faster and smoother.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
rompin2.0focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7208
FF Reputation: 1 rompin2.0focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I've heard some notice a difference, and some don't. I had the FS UDP, but never installed it because I decided I didn't want to use a different belt than stock.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
TainOE
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by zx34me
i have the fc 2pc kit and the car has a noticeable difference in driveabilty, revs faster and smoother.

I have heard even worse thing about the FC kit like underdriving components may cause problem with alt and waterpump.

I am considering purchasing the FC kit but I am trying to get all the Facts first.

Majority rules! Let the voting continue!

Looks to be tied at 1-1
Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
My vote is NO UDP are like fishing lurs they look good to the fisherman where the fish had rather have a worm

Dont like them and wont use them on customers cars

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 01-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
lanting90
Show Off

Fan#: 1901
What I Drive: 2012 fusion SEL

FF Reputation: 2 lanting90 Good Standing Member
I have the AF/X udp from www.newedgeperformance.com _some consider it the smallest UDP available, thus underdriving the most out of all the kits.= more freed up power.
I didn't put it on till i had just about every bolt-on + groundwires, and after installing it, the car pulled harder, faster, and reved' much quicker. I love my UDP and have not had anyproblems with it, besides from dimming headlights at idle, which can be fixed by a better battery, alternator power wire, which i still need to do.

Just remeber, these bolt-on parts dont add hp/tq, they free it.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
not only can pulleys possible cause problems with other accessories, it eliminates the rubber dampener (harmonic balancer) that the OEM pulley has. the purpose of the rubber is to remove the vibrations from within the motor. hense lessening the wear and tear on bearings and such. if you plan on installing a large sound system in your car, I wouldn't recommend UDP's. the whole purpose of the UDP's is to underdrive your accessories so that it frees up more power for the engine. if you have a large system in your car, even with capasitors (sp?) you run the risk of killin the engine. The SVT engine is internally balanced, but no matter how well balanced an engine is it will never be harmonically balanced. This means that every engine and its components have natural frequencies that can be set off at certain engine speeds due to all of the movement and rotation of parts in the engine. if you plan on trading this car in before the length of the loan, id say go for it. but if not, i wouldnt put aftermarket pulleys on.

Quote:
Originally posted by spin
I would not get one. Though they are a PULLEY, they are not any longer HARMONIC DAMPENERS. The original purpose of that heavy disc on the front of all car engines is as a harmonic dampener.

A crank is a long, rigid metal shape; if you tap with a hammer it "rings" (especially forged cranks; cast cranks have some internal dampening). So what? Well, a hammer hitting it is only ONE way to cause the crank to RESONATE and exhibit harmonic VIBRATIONS. Another way is to RUN the engine! The engine is a vibration factory (as we all know)...and if left undamped, crank harmonics can build up at certain (harmonic) rpms and these vibrations DON'T just disappear, they have to be DISSIPATED! The best way to dissipate them is via the SPECIFICALLY-DESIGNED-TO-DO-THIS "Harmonic Dampener" hanging off the front of the crank. It has an elastomeric (rubber) isolator between the hub and the HEAVY outer ring, and is as a unit, designed to damp harmonics at the critical frequencies seen by the crank.

The heavier the outer ring, the better it damps, and the higher its efficiency at damping. NASCAR LONGtrack engines use HEAVY dampeners, to allow the bearings to live the long race length; the shorter the race, the more often the bearings get changed (after EVERY RACE), the LIGHTER a dampener can be used because lighter is a little faster to accelerate the engine due to lower rotational inertia. You are trading bearing/crank life for speed. Where do YOU want to go on this? Are you lucky?

The OTHER way to damp harmonic energy (which MUST GO SOMEWHERE) is through the main bearings, into the main bearing saddles on the BLOCK. This can cause premature wear/fatigue/flaking of main bearings, and cracks in the main bearing saddles on the block. This is a poor tradeoff for "an underdrive pulley".

Does this ALWAYS happen? No. Some people may not push their cars very hard very often; some may not do longtrack racing; some may not keep their cars long enough to discover the bearing wear, or to crack anything; the underlying design may be robust enough to cover over this MISTAKE in parts selection. There is a pretty big industry in harmonic dampeners, different TECHNIQUES for dampening (Fluidampr, ATI, BHJ, "The Rattler", etc) but they ALL DAMPEN HARMONICS because it is important. There may be some FREQUENTLY REBUILT race engines (?CART) that are not using dampeners but IF you think their ENGINEERS have not taken crank harmonics into account in their multi-multimillion dollar engine design, THEN there are worthless bridges to be sold to you...and foolish pennywise-pound foolish _NON DAMPENING_ "PULLEYS" to be sold.

It gets down to this. Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya...? [Clint would say "punk" but that isn't my direction, just a good line ] This is an insult to your engine's health. It MAY take it in stride; but it is an offense. I respect my hardworking engine too much to burden it with the sometimes insane levels of harmonics that can occur without harmonic dampener protection. Where else are you going to cut corners? What other basic enginebuilding good practices is one going to spit on, and WHICH will be the straw that breaks the camel's back...eventually?
just a couple of thoughts
Old 01-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
TainOE
Focus Enthusiast

Wow close race at 4 NO - 2 Yes. This is why I have had so much trouble deciding.

After that last argument I am leaning more towards NO.

Worth it or worthless??

Let the voting continue!

Last edited by TainOE; 01-02-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
AC21365
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2039
What I Drive: See Sig..

FF Reputation: 2 AC21365 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If you can find a 1pc Focus Central pulley, get it, only because it's fairly inexpensive, AND you don't have to fiddle with the water pump pulley.

Also, in the 847923649723 past udp discussions, nobody's given solid proof that an aftermarket pulley has caused damage to a motor.
Present:
2005 Silver Focus 2.3L ST Sedan - 5-speed w/all the options

Bookmarks & Social Networks