Mustang Wheels for Auto Cross? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30771
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FSP Focus ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mustang Wheels for Auto Cross?

Hey guys, I've been contemplating using the older 16X8 4 lug mustang wheels that were used in the 80's on mustangs for autocrossing. Any ideas on the feasibility of this. I'm curious if anybody has ever attempted this before. I'm expecting the offset to be completely off, but it may give the car a wider track/stance, which may be beneficial in auto-x.

The wheels I'm thinking off are any of the 4 lug 4 x 4.25 (108mm)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
There isn't a whole lot of room in the wheel-well for much change in offset, and they could also make problems for you with Scrub Radius and Ackerman Angle. So in effect I don't think that they would fit very well, and even if they did, they would probably mess with steering geometry. Not to mention that you're going to have to invest in a lot of other suspension work to be competitive in the class those wheels are going to put you in, especially if you make other mods to make them fit.

Not very good on the cost/benefit ratio...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Well, I'm currently running FSP in autocross which allows upto a 225 (wide) DOT approved tire. In fact, the 16 x 8's should fit that perfectly. I know what you mean about the rubbing, I expect that may be the case.

Do you really think I'm going to need longer studs on the wheel hub? In any case, I'll try my theory out at a Junk yard, hopefully I can find one that has both cars and wheels available for fitment.

Has anybody tried this though? Just curious.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Le Mans (1971)
Old 01-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Scott_SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21836
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black w/Blue int SVT

FF Reputation: 4 Scott_SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by FSP Focus ZX3
Well, I'm currently running FSP in autocross which allows upto a 225 (wide) DOT approved tire. In fact, the 16 x 8's should fit that perfectly. I know what you mean about the rubbing, I expect that may be the case.

Do you really think I'm going to need longer studs on the wheel hub? In any case, I'll try my theory out at a Junk yard, hopefully I can find one that has both cars and wheels available for fitment.

Has anybody tried this though? Just curious.
the width of the wheel isn't the problem, there are planty of foci with 8 inch wheels.

Unfortunately, the offset of the mustang wheels is more neutral, verses the foci, which are positive.. this means the wheel center on you mustang wheels is more in the actual center of the wheel, and that brings more of the lip out towards the fender...

It will end up looking a bit like those silly honda civics with the tires sticking completely out of the fender that were popular with the kids back in the 90's (not that bad, but you get the idea)
SVT SQUAD #8
Hurray!! a Squad! how umm... stupid....
Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
gump1114
DTF

Fan#: 13164
What I Drive: 04 Neon SRT-4, '96 Eagle Talon

FF Reputation: 6 gump1114 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
also something else to consider is the fact that the 4-lug mustangs had a lug pattern of 4x100 not 4x108. so im not sure if it will still work.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Gump, the 4 lug mustangs have a 4X4.25 lug pattern, which is actually a 4X108 lug pattern, I've double checked on several websites and all of the info points me in the same direction. The pattern should be the same.

As for the way the car looks, I really don't give a crap about that. There are plenty of cars at the Autocross meets that I go to that have the wheels sticking out like a Tonka truck. My real concern is the adverse nature of the offset, and how much wheel rub should I expect. In autocross, there are sometimes turns demanding 1 1/2 turns of the steering wheel which leads me to believe that I may get some rubbing on the side of the front wheel wells.

Still, has anybody tried this? I'm really curious if they have.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Le Mans (1971)
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
nthcoastcom
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7017
What I Drive: 96 Cobra,07 GT, 08 Vista Blue Focus

FF Reputation: 9 nthcoastcom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
i believe that there was a discussion on this a while back. Yes they will fit the lug pattern and the width but they will have serious rubbing issues.

thanks
todd
www.nthcoast.com

edit:
heres the link from the last time this was discussed
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...t&pagenumber=2
Old 01-06-2006, 02:24 AM   #8
OmniFocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 30859
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 OmniFocus Newbie
Schnack (Ryan Schnackenberg, SM) has used Mustang wheels in the past, but the car was set up super stuff to avoid rub as they protruded a large amount from the fender wells. (In true classic FSP fashion).

Later he moved to sawzalled fenders with 16x9s

Normally his site is www.teammodamax.com but it appears to be down right now.

These aren't the wheels, but it gives you a good idea:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.