new to autox - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #21
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You can get a cat-back, but nothing more on the exhaust.

If I were to do everything possible within the rules of G Stock for my SVTF, this would be it.

K&N Air Filter
Lightweight SSR 17x7.5" Rims & Titanium Lug Nuts (drop 37lbs of unsprung weight!)
Kumho Victoracers (shaved & heat-cycled)
Koni 2-way adjustable dambers
HIA cat-back exhaust (probably wouldn't really, not much advantage)
Lightweight Oddessy or Optima battery (dropping 30lbs out of the nose is a good thing!)
Hawk HPS brake pads
Full roll cage (strangely enough, they do this to allow the road racers to come AutoX without being totally screwed for classing)
Alignment (can't do much, maybe squeeze a little caster out of it and some front toe-out)

And that's pretty much everything that I could do in the stock class. Would make a VERY fine little racer, and one that could regularly beat Touring-Class STis as it's on R-comps.

Stock class really isn't that slow, especially at the regional level. At the final race, a Mini Coopper S on slicks and Konis (with a 2nd year driver) was within 2 seconds of Chuck Hemmingson in his Subaru STi on slicks. Chuck had just come back from winning the national Touring 2 road race championships and was on the cover of a magazine or two. That same Mini destroyed a couple full-race C3 Vettes, M3s, Evos, etc etc, and had the 3rd fastest time of the day. So don't be in this huge rush to get out of stock class.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...

Last edited by Carrera26; 12-29-2005 at 08:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #22
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23692
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF, 2003 G35, 2001 Audi S4

FF Reputation: 5 DirtyDeeds Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You can't change out the CAT to a high-flow version and stay in the stock classes. Here's a summarized list of the allowable mods for the stock classes...

- Removal of spare tire and tools
- Front anti-roll bar(s)
- Suspension / wheel alignment using factory-approved adjustments
- High-performance DOT-approved tires (including R-compounds)
- Shock absorbers or struts (2 external adjustments maximum)
- Competition-type seat belts (no shoulder belts in open cars)
- Brake linings (pads / shoes)
- Air filter element (the “throw-away” part)
- “Cat”-back exhaust systems
- Wheels – standard diameter, width and offset (within ¼”)
- Roll bar / cage
- Gauges, indicator lights, etc.

Also, here's a link to the main SCCA Solo site and a doc that covers the allowable mods by class. It's not the official rule book, but that can also be down loaded from the SCCA Solo site.

http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/Fil...categories.pdf
Old 12-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #23
zx3freak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20544
FF Reputation: 1 zx3freak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
thanks guys for all the help im learing sooo much. Im so excitied i cant wait to run. where do i get the kybs's and the rims though. I went on tirerack for the rims and they didnt have any for the focus? is there a rim a little cheaper beside $300 a rim though that would still do pretty good or should i just go stock 15's. Also so use a r-compound tire instead of something like hankook sr2's

Last edited by zx3freak; 12-29-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #24
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

For rims, do a Google or whatever on rims with a 4x108 spacing. The Rotas are extremely light and cheap, and look pretty hardcore. In fact, for any part, just hit up Google. I use it all the time, and it's a big part of what makes me appear smart on this forum...

I'd say to go out there on sucky tires for a while, because that will help you attune to how your car reacts a lot better, and not get you to just rely on the grip instead of learning good lines. In essence, it requires you to learn and up your game instead of just relying on equipment.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 12-29-2005, 11:49 AM   #25
Angelus897
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15259
What I Drive: '04 Infra Red ZX4 SE D23E, '05 Pitch Black ZX3 S D20E

FF Reputation: 1 Angelus897 Good Standing Member
Hey, is it better to leave the spare in, or take it out? The plus of taking it out is obvious, but if you leave it in, doesn't it improve weight distribution?

Also, does anyone know the best PSI to run on stock 195/60-15 RS-As?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #26
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

I believe our rims are already 7.5", but correct me if I am wrong.

I didn't say that I would actually do it, just that if I did everything possible in GS, that's what it would amount to. The cat-back wouldn't really do much of anything, and the cage wouldn't really make a difference unless I had a full spec suspension to tune and take advantage of the stiffness.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:18 PM   #27
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

The biggest benefit of a cage or roll bar (Occupant protection aside) is additional chassis stiffness. A flexing chassis can affect suspension geometry, alignment, steering response and ultimately...traction. This is of course offset by the additional weight of which a fair amount is located above the car’s center of gravity.

As for wheels in the stock class, it's my understanding that they need to be the same width and diameter as offered by the manufacturer on your particular model, but the offset can vary up to 1/4 inch in either direction (Negative or Positive).
Old 12-29-2005, 05:42 PM   #28
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrera26
I believe our rims are already 7.5", but correct me if I am wrong.
They're 7"...you're corrected.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #29
DirtyDeeds
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelus897
Hey, is it better to leave the spare in, or take it out? The plus of taking it out is obvious, but if you leave it in, doesn't it improve weight distribution?

Also, does anyone know the best PSI to run on stock 195/60-15 RS-As?
Leaving the spare in does help front to back weight distribution...a little. But it's also more weight to pull around the course. The general rule of thumb is take it out as lighter is better.

As for what tire pressure to run, this will vary depending on track surface, weather, type of tire and driver preference. For a 60 series I'm going to guess between 40 - 45 lbs in the front and 36 - 38 lbs in the back. A trick that some folks use to determine how much a tire is rolling over is to take some chalk and draw a circle on the outside of the tire right where the sidewall meets the tread.

After a run, you can see where the chalk has been rubbed away and get a better idea of what's going on with your tires. If the chalk is really worn away in the front and untouched in the rear, you’re probably pushing (under-steering) in the corners. Add some air to the front and let some out in the back.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #30
MyBlackST
Capital Obvious

Fan#: 11768
What I Drive: 2008 Redfire Metallic Fusion

FF Reputation: 1 MyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I run 45psi front and 38psi rear.

ST Crew #3
TEAM DURATEC # 7

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.