type of oil - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
zx3freak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20544
FF Reputation: 1 zx3freak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
type of oil

im gonna be autocrossing a lot what oil is a good type?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Royal Purple. <--big period
Old 01-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30771
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FSP Focus ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So long as you change it often, you probably won't see any power difference. Just make sure you use the right viscosity. I change my oil just before every event (about once a month) and the oil filter every other month. Helps keep me honest. Besides, I honestly run my car too hard.

Scrammer is right though, Royal Purple is probably the best out there.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Le Mans (1971)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,134, Level 100
Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
how much is that stuff, paying 5 a quart is kinda pricey....
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

That's why, just go with the regular stuff, if you do it as often as I do, don't even bother buying synthetic.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

- Le Mans (1971)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
I don't know about every where but in some area's Mobil 1 is like $5.25 a qt and Royal Purple is like $5.95 a qt, I'd rather pay the slight diffrence and know you are getting a better oil. Also just cause it says synthetic does not mean its the best, there are diffrent grades of synthetic oils and Royal Purple is one of the best. The others would be Redline and Amsoil, I would be willing to try Redline but hate Amsoil's marketing idea of trash talking all other oils so that you'll buy there's. I use Royal Purple and love it. On contreversial (is that spelled right?) side note, Royal Purple has been shown to add up to 3hp over regular oil (google it if you don't beleive me) so if your using dino oil your cheating your self out of around 3hp. Sure 3hp is not alot but think about it this way, a steeda short ram is $150 and adds 5hp. Your getting around 3hp for the price of the oil and changing it your self (or $10 to have a store do it).
Old 01-10-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Find me a dyno with +/- 3hp precision.

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
2004SVTAutoXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
ehhhh the comment about synthetic, if you're beating on your car at the track you should really think about investing in synthetic. that's where the advantages of the synthetic formula really come into play with thermal breakdown
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
pspringe, use google and do the foot work your self. I said plain as day that the info was "contreversial" and to do a search on the web. Even if a dyno is off by 3hp explain how many diffrent dyno's from many diffrent sites all come up with 3hp? Also why does everyone point out "show me a dyno" when some one points out a gain? Are the odds of a dyno being over 2 to 3hp more likely than it being off negative 1 to 2hp? I mean really here cause I don't know that much about dyno's, are they ever off in the negative consitantly? As stated above, I don't know dyno's but I do know how averages work and if many dyno's say one thing take all the gains and add them up then divide that number by the amount of results you added (example: 3+4+2+1+4+5=19 19/6=3.16hp average) say what you want but let this be a reminder to all those who say "show me a dyno", do a search come up with three or more dyno results, add them up then divide the total by the number of dyno results you had and there is your average. The above formula can not be disputed, that would be the average gain.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
FSP Focus ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by 2004SVTAutoXer
ehhhh the comment about synthetic, if you're beating on your car at the track you should really think about investing in synthetic. that's where the advantages of the synthetic formula really come into play with thermal breakdown
True, but if you change it consistently about every 1,200 miles? I know it's better but honestly, my car runs like a swiss clock with all the attention I give it. I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary. If you do the 5k mile intervals between oil changes, definitely go all out and use synthetic. I agree with 2004SVTAutoXer there!

- Le Mans (1971)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.