HOW-TO: SVT IMRC DSI Intake Manifold Upgrade FOR ZETEC!!!! - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2006, 03:30 AM   #61
homegrown2nr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28279
What I Drive: 2010 F150 SuperCrew XLT

FF Reputation: 1 homegrown2nr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally posted by ..:: sleestak ::..
Nice mod focituner! Sounds like a bit o' work and funds, but I am sure you are appreciating the DSI more and more as time goes on.

Homegrown, the major difference you are probably going to see is that your car will pull steadily to redline, whereas before you start to loose that pull but your rpms are still climbing. Thats where the runners in the dual stage intake come into play. Its optimizing your air current to better suit the rpm range you are in.

Stock on SVT tune, the runners switched over around 6500 or so, with Waynes tune and probably others, it will switch over at 5k. You can even hear the difference in the engine tone when it switches over. Its nice having that extra oomph up high, believe me.
My problem now is low end. My car pulls plenty hard to redline. anywhere past 3000 and rushes all the way to the top. (might be my cams). So that's why I wanted the 00' mani mostly for lowend , but for some top end as well. Money is also an issue. $180 for a ported 00' is a good price, but if this swap costs $500 and only gets me 1-2HP up top then there isn't a good enough justification for the extra $320. I looked at some dynos someone had posted and it didn't look like a substantial difference.

Looking for the following: XCal2, 2xDiablosport MAFia, 2x Quality BOV & Wastegate, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter 00-02, 24mm RSB, Rear SVT Brake Kit, Driver side VF, and more ... PM ME!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2006, 08:07 AM   #62
sc0tty8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27536
What I Drive: 2k3 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sc0tty8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by ..:: sleestak ::..

Stock on SVT tune, the runners switched over around 6500 or so, with Waynes tune and probably others, it will switch over at 5k. You can even hear the difference in the engine tone when it switches over. Its nice having that extra oomph up high, believe me.
I think this is some confusion, the DSI with this swap to a regular zetec is controlled by the MSD digital RPM switch, not by a tune.

Quote:
Originally posted by homegrown2nr
My problem now is low end. My car pulls plenty hard to redline. anywhere past 3000 and rushes all the way to the top. (might be my cams). So that's why I wanted the 00' mani mostly for lowend , but for some top end as well. Money is also an issue. $180 for a ported 00' is a good price, but if this swap costs $500 and only gets me 1-2HP up top then there isn't a good enough justification for the extra $320. I looked at some dynos someone had posted and it didn't look like a substantial difference.

I have a set of crane cams installed(0012's, equiv to FR#2's pretty much ) in my car and I can't wait to get my intake in my car. If you look at the dynos of a stock manifold car, you see at 5300rpm there is a decline in power. With the svt, it will make power to at least 7000rpm. If your not getting enough low end, maybe you should retard your cam timing 4 degrees? It will suffer on the high end but will bring your power band down a few rpm. I sorta like where my power band is now, the crower #1's are pretty close to the FR #2's, and, the cams I got, are very close to them. You can tell in my car when the 2k power band starts, I really like how they improved the mid range, they really make the focus more fun to drive.

And, I am not sure on the forced induction you plan to go with, but, I am thinking, since I have the SVT intake, I will prob go vortech, I am already buying up some parts to make a new motor, I am going to go for a 10.5:1 compression and *hopefully* add a vortech to it to help out with the high end. I may also add in spray or, do it on the current motor until I get the SC, not sure at this time.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #63
focituner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 628
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3 (DKG1)

FF Reputation: 1 focituner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Update: The ported TB is Fricken Awesome, Makes the ride that much better.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #64
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20083
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red Ford Focus ZTS-S2

Points 16,069, Level 81
Points: 16,069, Level: 81 Points: 16,069, Level: 81 Points: 16,069, Level: 81
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 ztecpower Good Standing Member
focituner....
I wanted to do my install this weekend on my SVT intake manifold, But I'm missing the SVT IAC, some people say I NEED the SVT IAC do I ?? Or can I use the stock one ?

Troy.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:26 PM   #65
focituner
Focus Addict

You can get one shipped directly from SVT Salvage, I believe Dan has a few around.

I never tried the stock iac, So I would not know. I would suggest having it available because I don't want you to do all the work and be stuck because of the iac. Especially if it is your daily.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #66
y2kpedo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 18519
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 1 y2kpedo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
this is really cool
Old 02-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #67
_Celldweller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5744
What I Drive: 2002 Mandarin Copper Mach Audio ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 _Celldweller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i've been told that if you go forced induction, you'll want to stay away from the SVT intake mani because it is 2 separate pieces of plastic. The 2K mani is better if you plan to go f/i

would also like pics of the placement of the MSD unit and how you mounted it there and whatnot. go into detail on that part. nice write up BTW you beat me to it.

Looks: Rear view mirror removal, DIY shorty antenna.

Last edited by _Celldweller; 02-04-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #68
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Nice write up! Even though I haven't thought about doing this swap anytime soon, I did definitely learn something!!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:51 AM   #69
focituner
Focus Addict

Thnx man. It is a unique mod which has many purposes, Clean running throttle, (no egr), Steady power band, A little engine dress up, a definite change in performance. I enjoy it very much.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #70
Greg01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31745
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Greg01 Good Standing Member
focituner, how does the new throttle body compare vs. the focus central one and how much was it???

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.