Tuning a custom turbo setup. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
AZFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 20856
What I Drive: 02 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 AZFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tuning a custom turbo setup.

Hello all, I have a 2002 SVT and I am currently building a custom turbo set-up for it using a hybrid T3/T4 turbo. The harware is rather simple to work out as far as manifold, turbo and intercooler are concerned. The problem I am running into is tuning and getting the car to run to its full potential. Tom I spoke to you on the phone today and since then I have come up with a few more questions. I'm putting this on here because I am open to any and all opinions. So far I have concluded that the SCT Prorace is the way to go as far as tuning, but the thing I am concerned with is the MAF sensor.

Tom, you mentioned that the MAFia and a MAF sensor from you would solve my MAF issues, but it concerns me because all the MAFia seems to do is "condition" the signal. I don't like the idea of having something that tricks the computer when it seems unnecessary. Shouldn't having the Proracer give me the ability to control the MAF unit to do whatever I want? If you or anyone could just elaborate more on the MAFia I would really appreciate it.

Also, I already own the Xcal 1 and I gathered from a previous post that it can in fact work with the Pro Race, but I need a serial port versus a USB port which isn't a problem. If this is incorrect please enlighten me.

Lastly and this is primarily for Tom, if I purchase all of what we discussed on the phone today (50 lb injectors, Pro Race software/(Xcal 2 if needed), and MAFia/MAF unit) do I only get the one tune that you stated "should get the car running" or will you help me via e-mail/phone to get the car running well.
Thank you for your time. Sorry for the long post, but I really need answers

Matt

"Wear a cup when you skate"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Because you are going to larger injectors you need something that make the MAF signal go just as far (HP wise)

The MAF will only go from 0 to 5 volts with adding boost you will hit 5 volts at about 180 to 195HP then the MAF will be through. Going to a larger tube will help some but still wont do the job safely this is where the MAFia comes in. With the MAFia you will be able to change where the MAF electronics hits 5 volts. This unit works very well

The SCT PR will come with a tune and im there to HELP this does not mean i will make all the changes for you. You have the ability to do the same thing i can do that is the whole idea behind the PR. You can find a local tuner to do your tuning or fly me out there to do it for you but i dont go do tuning cheap

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
AZFocus
Focus Rookie

Thanks Tom, also would a wideband be necessary to get the most out of my car? I have heard that it might be needed, but figured that the PR could get it pretty close. I am assuming that the X-cal 1 won't work with the PR?

Old 12-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #4
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
I dont think the Xcal1 will scan and the Xcal2 will so it would be the only eay to know what is going on

Yes a wide band is a must with out it you wont know what the AF is. Most of the guys use the one at the Dyno shop they use

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Tom is a GREAT tuner, he tuned my bastardized kit
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
AZFocus
Focus Rookie

Can I ask how you went about tuning the car, as far as software and harware that you used? (MAF sensor, Pro Racer ........) Thanks

Old 12-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

In my opinion the best combo

42(zx3) 50LB (SVT)
MAFia and my 3 inch tube
SCT Pro Racer

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Leadfoot/S2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23738
What I Drive: '01 ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Leadfoot/S2 Good Standing Member
What base MAF electronics are you placing in the 3" tube?
Can you PM me with a price for your MAF and Mafia combo?
You do not list those parts on your site.
'01 ZX3 S2 FC Pistons .020 over @ 8.2:1, Eagle Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, Level Ten full upgrade tranny and TC--Ported TDO5H-Big16G-Turbo with One Off Plenum Style Turbo Manifold--SCT PRP + Raptor tuning. Be-cool Radiator, 12x24x3 IC, blow-through 3" MAF, FC TB, Ported early '00 Intake Manifold, Progress Springs, A/F-Boost-EGT-Trans Temp-Oil Press gages,and various other goodies.
216 fwhp 230 ft/lbs @ 10psi. on the old setup.
Buy My Car! [url]http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70111[/url]
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

You would use the stock Focus Electronics in the tube with the MAFia i charge 220.00 for the tube and the MAFia

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Leadfoot/S2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 23738
What I Drive: '01 ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Leadfoot/S2 Good Standing Member
I have the SCT PRP and a much stouter setup than when you saw it in Norwalk Ohio in '02.
Right now I have the stock Focus MAF in a 3" tube (blowthrough) and it's not quite right or I'm running out of room. Datalogging is a problem, I'm using a borrowed Raptor that will only log #/MIN on the MAF. No Volts or Counts.
Would I use a custom MAF Transfer Function with the stock Focus MAF electronics in the 3" tube and the MAFia? Or are you supposed to keep the stock transfer function and just use the MAFia settings?

How much for the MAFia and a tune on your DYNO!
I mean it!
'01 ZX3 S2 FC Pistons .020 over @ 8.2:1, Eagle Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, Level Ten full upgrade tranny and TC--Ported TDO5H-Big16G-Turbo with One Off Plenum Style Turbo Manifold--SCT PRP + Raptor tuning. Be-cool Radiator, 12x24x3 IC, blow-through 3" MAF, FC TB, Ported early '00 Intake Manifold, Progress Springs, A/F-Boost-EGT-Trans Temp-Oil Press gages,and various other goodies.
216 fwhp 230 ft/lbs @ 10psi. on the old setup.
Buy My Car! [url]http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70111[/url]

Bookmarks & Social Networks