WARNING: BFG G-force sports = DANGEROUS! Question on only putting 2 winter tires on? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
R00ST650
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
WARNING: BFG G-force sports = DANGEROUS! Question on only putting 2 winter tires on?

WD/or other mods, if this needs to be moved to tires/wheels then so be it- but I know a few svt owners in here and on the jet run the bfg g-force sports so wanted to make sure they at least saw this. While they do awesome in dry and wet weather, they are WORSE than my worn out stock contis! It is absolutely ridiculous how BAD these tires are in the snow. I went over to my girlfriends house last night and the subdivision she lives in had not been plowed. I barely made it to her house (couldnt get up the very small incline driveway at ALL) and then a few hours later I tried to leave and the snow had frozen a bit on the top and I got stuck (this is in like 2-3 inches of snow which is pretty sad). I had to have her get in and dump the clutch as I pushed (these tires only have 2k miles on them and were smoking to just barely get traction - poor lil tires :( ).

I have TC as well, but I HAVE to turn it off If I want any chance of going anywhere. The tires spin SO easily that the tc just does its thing and keeps cutting the power, and it ends up almost killing the car (gets down to like 900 rpms). so the only chance I have is to take tc off and do my best to keep the tires from spinning (or as it happens 95% of the time, just let it rev up and spin till it digs to the asphalt)

Anyway, I decided I value my life so I am going to spend the dough and get snow tires. I noticed on tire rack ALL of the snow tires say they MUST be installed in sets of 4. How serious is this? I cant really afford a full set... I limit my e-braking to safe areas, and the front does do the majority of the braking, so im hoping this will be ok to do.

I am thinking about the dunlop graspic ds-s2 (102 each) or the blizzas ws-50s (124 each). I ma about halfway through the "svtf winter tire review" so hopefully by the end I can make my decision.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
pspringe
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 17992
What I Drive: 95 Metro, 03 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 5 pspringe Good Standing Member
The BFs are UHP SUMMER tires.

I am a bit concerned about taking mine back to MI for Christmas. I don't have to worry around here, though.

Kariertes Hemd und Samenstau, ich studier' Maschienenbau.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
R00ST650
Focus Addict

O beleive me, I know that (reason I purchased them). I just cant beleive how MUCH they suck in snow. I thought with 95% tread left (compared to my contis with 19k miles on them) and the hook pattern they would HAVE to be better than contis in the snow ,but they are FAR worse (hard to beleive isnt it?).

I enjoy a challenge, but when it comes to pulling out onto a road with reasonably heavy traffic, its just ridiculous, and as you can guess stopping is nearly impossible (abs is on no matter how light im on the pedal)
Old 12-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Oni
Oh yeah!

Fan#: 24899
What I Drive: An unloved Focus

FF Reputation: 4 Oni Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You have a tire that isn't M+S rated (mud and snow rated), and you're complaining about its lack of snow driveability. That's fair to discredit the tire based on your decision to drive it in the snow when the tire is specifically made for wet and dry pavement only.

I think and hope that most SVT owners have enough common sense to choose the proper tire for traction for certain weather conditions.
SVT Squad #80
1365 of 3985
Born: 04/25/2003

formerly known as the member ilcowil
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
DePue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2476
What I Drive: '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: -1 DePue Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
This is more than a bit over the top, calling the tires dangerous. If you're trying to drive a high performance summer only tire in the snow, you are the one who's dangerous. Not the tires.

Not trying to be a hardass with you here, but you're putting other people at risk by driving like this.

To answer your question... No, you can't on put only two winter tires. You really shouldn't ever be running less than 4 tires of the same make/brand/style.

[edit] I'm just home from swapping some Blizzaks onto a friends car. They made an incredible difference. Her car went from scary, to very stable. If you've got the cash, they are well worth it.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
R00ST650
Focus Addict

Ok well then for the rest of the people without common sense like myself, heed the warning about these tires. I am not the only one running summer tires in the snow- There are plenty of guys running the contis.

UHP's arnt M+S tires!?!? (insert sarcasm here*) We usually dont get that much snow and I dont want crappy handling 9 months out of the year in order to have fair/decent snow traction. My rating of DANGEROUS is not over the top at all.
I am pointing out the fact these tires which are basically brand new, have LESS traction than contis that have about 40% tread left! I am heeding a warning to anyone who has these tires. Until my new tires come im mounting my stock wheels/contis back up. And for those of you who have driven contis in the snow, you must have some idea of just how bad these BFG's do in the snow.

I am not complaining in general about the tires, I do love them in the wet/dry. I didnt expect them to make my car drive like an AWD in the snow, but I certainly didnt expect them to have damn near ZERO traction in a tiny bit of snow. I didnt have a problem with my contis last winter as again we dont get all that much snow, and I dont drive like a jackass.

As far as the tire selection choice, not all of us are made of money and have the option to have track tires, summer road tires, and then snow tires. I tried out a few all season tires but they were so mushy I would have been better off not having an svt if I was going to run them (not only did it strip the fun factor, it felt dangerous as the sidewalls rolled so easily)

I know you are not supposed to run different tread patterns or vastly different sizes, but im wondering if anyone has (dosnt seem like all that many people have full sets of dedicated snow tires, just a pair) Obviously with contis on in the rear it will be squirmy as they wont have the traction the fronts will, but I am concerned with accelerating and stopping.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
tires

While everyone else is ragging on you about your winter tire choice
I'll skip that part and tell you that unless you seriously enjoy having your back end swaping ends on you what you really want is four snow tires. Second choice would be four M+S tires. You want the tires to be evenly matched for traction or they're really going to make things interesting for you!
Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing MemberChick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Dude, I have these tires and I KNOW they are summer tires only. I just took my car out and there was still some slush left in the road and I felt the car sliding a little bit and I was taking it easy.

These are excellent wet and dry pavement summer tires. I just don't have the money for winter tires this year.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
R00ST650
Focus Addict

I dont see the point in everyone posting "WHY DID YOU THINK THESE WERE SNOW TIRES" or somthing similar. I didnt say I was expecting these tires to be mudrunners and be a super safe tractable snow tire. I just assumed they wouldnt be worse than the king of crappy snow traction-summer tires (contis) and at least allow me to drive my vehicle in a couple of inches of snow.

Thank you hudson for confirming my thoughts. I am just wondering how bad it actually would be having contis in the rear and snow tires up front. If every time I went to stop the car wanted to swap ends that obviously isnt a good thing. If anyone runs a standard rear tires and snow fronts, please post and let me know how tractable the car is under heavy snow braking.

zx3 chick: Ya these tires are horrible in anything slightly slushy (not saying horrible to describe the obvious which is summer tires are bad in winter, im pointing out the fact that I think slicks would do better). I have to keep like a 1/4 mile following distance just to give myself stopping space.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
blck01zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7784
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT; 03 Black Evo 8

FF Reputation: 1 blck01zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I have the GForce KDW 2 tires and they suck in the snow too. I knew they would, hence the D(dry) and W(wet), (they are lacking the S for snow) and I dont have extra money lying around to buy tires for just the winter, so I only drive my car if I ABSOLUTELY have to in the snow. Other that that I drive my Moms Ford Five Hundred with Pirellis on it.
SVT squad #58
1221 of 4788

420whp SVT focus
383whp Evo VIII

Bookmarks & Social Networks